Messed up my heated mirrors upgrade

Jmywil

Bit of a disaster today, looks like I now need a replacement passenger side replacement electric mirror mechanism. I followed the youtube link on this site for what looked like the simple process of levering off the existing mirror glass from its mounting, but rather than just the mirror glass coming off, it pulled off and broke the plastic base section. Pics No1 shows the broken central black plastic piece. pic No 2 the section which came off with the glass but should have stayed put.

Anyone got a replacement assembly? Happy to take a whole wing mirror housing if easier and I’ll disassemble. Any pointers on what I did wrong also helpful before I try the drivers side....

Thanks

Attachments

• 982BE829-BC89-4543-9220-A48B1B296979.jpeg
    982BE829-BC89-4543-9220-A48B1B296979.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 208
  • A7494BDE-37ED-4C14-9A07-AAB5F8F60299.jpeg
    A7494BDE-37ED-4C14-9A07-AAB5F8F60299.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 217
Is the date printed on the motor section 02 Dec 13 ? Could it be that the mechanism has already been part replaced, & it is this newer piece that has broken off?

The way I was told to do it was to wind the mirror inwards as far as possible with the motor drive, then get a tape-wrapped flat-head screwdriver in through the gap between the casing end and the mirror-glass end to twist-lever / release the outer holding clips off the drive mechanism. Once they've released, the increasing angle of the glass makes it easier to squeeze the inner end off without breaking the 4 doubled-up clips. I've done this a number of times removing 4 original mirror glasses (and non-original heated ones that were coming apart because of non-heat-resistant tape used to stick the mirror glass to the mounting) and not broken one so far. Although it is possible that a weak part broke, I was also wondering if there is any possibility that you've done much the same as I did, but with the lever fulcrum slightly the wrong side of the mechanism so it took this off as well - this would be surprisingly easy given how the parts are juxtaposed. Best of luck!

Robin, your description sounds sensible and knowing what I do now, I can see why that approach is needed. The YouTube video just had the guy levering from the bottom. thanks, James

p.s. maybe it has been replaced and yes, it’s this base piece (better photo) with what looks like a plastic loop which broke. The white plastic bar section of the piece in my hand in the picture slots into it. The outer holding clips were pretty strongly held in place so this seems to have been the weak link

Attachments

• 9D078619-4D3E-497B-84D6-029C9C42B16F.jpeg
    9D078619-4D3E-497B-84D6-029C9C42B16F.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

part 4 -

8Z0959577

I'm sure one of the parts suppliers on here will have something suitable (as there are two in every car!) ; otherwise an entire A2 mirror on Ebay is 20-40 quid max which you should be able to get the part out of.

I must admit that the first time you do it is is a complete leap of faith - is it going to pop off as intended, or is there going to be an unexpected crack and something else come off ? - especially as you are working blind by feel to begin with.. I was lucky that the first attempt it came off and I got the feel for it. There's no accounting for something getting brittle or being more brittle than it should be, especially if it is either old, or conversely new but non-original.

part 4 -

8Z0959577

I'm sure one of the parts suppliers on here will have something suitable (as there are two in every car!) ; otherwise an entire A2 mirror on Ebay is 20-40 quid max which you should be able to get the part out of.

I must admit that the first time you do it is is a complete leap of faith - is it going to pop off as intended, or is there going to be an unexpected crack and something else come off ? - especially as you are working blind by feel to begin with.. I was lucky that the first attempt it came off and I got the feel for it. There's no accounting for something getting brittle or being more brittle than it should be, especially if it is either old, or conversely new but non-original.
That’s the one, now in two parts! Yep, looks like a £30 ebay purchase and hope the motor works.

For any broken plastic fittings you can do a quick fix with superglue and sodium bicarbonate. Secure broken edges with the glue then put a thin layer over the outside of the crack and sprinkle the bicarb over it. They react and form a strong flexible epoxy. Successfully fixed / joined various plastic parts with this.

I'm pretty sure I have a passenger side mirror unit in my shed of dread, I found it easier to replace the whole unit than fiddle about with the plastic bits when I stuffed up in just a royal way as you have! ?

I'm pretty sure I have a passenger side mirror unit in my shed of dread, I found it easier to replace the whole unit than fiddle about with the plastic bits when I stuffed up in just a royal way as you have! ?
Thanks, Clackers, currently waiting on Robin retrieving and checking his spare from garage storage, but may reach out to you if that doesn’t work out. James

I removed the black base piece (x2torx screws), then slowly levered the tabs which hold the glass to the motor plastic from underneath and behind (you can access a couple of these) and then prize from the opposite corner to release. I just rebuilt one from the the spares I have. If you struggle for parts I may also have some spares to aid but will need to check.

Back