Mile high... Sorry, high mile club!

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
I joined the growing ranks of high mile A2's last friday when mine crossed the 100,000 mile marker and so is just nicely run in!

This is the longest period i have ever owned a car having bought at 3.5 years old in Jan 2008 with 29k miles and one owner to replace a high mile A6Avant Tdi with 138k miles.

The car has been utterly reliable with the only fault being a duff climate repaired shortly after purchase and under warranty. The high points include Skipton autos for servicing, economy (now averaging 62mpg -:)) fun to drive, build quality, spec, being able to drive 600+miles in a day and not be knackered and being a bit different. Low points are really only the ride and by todays standards, noise.

The best mods have been , re-map, 5th gear/aero mods, 15" wheels, FSD's, privacy glass, storm grille. Least effective mod is RNS-e which in hindsight would rather have spent the money on MFSW. I also wish I had looked into Bilsteins a bit more, nothing wrong with FSD's but like what i hear about the Bilsteins.

The spec of my car had everything I wanted apart from heated seats which is not a major problem with having Alcantara (very nice and highly recommended, prefer it to leather).

The mileage is now catching up with our Toledo at 106,000 miles and my Saab 900 at 199,600 miles...... all bought as one owner cars with full dealer histories.

Given the current state of finances having just had my pockets emptied by a wedding and honeymoon it will be at least 2 and probably 3 years before i can afford a replacement with something interesting by which time I envisage the mileage will be around 150,000 ish miles.

Next car? Who knows, possibly a used A1, Ibiza sport, A3, maybe a Clubman or even pro-ceed. Also Fancy a drop top diesel but apart from French rubbish they do not come cheap.

I saw 142k last week. I did a 1200-mile journey over the rough roads of west Ireland and averaged 64.1mpg. The engine is clearly still going strong.

Am just about to roll over to 110k. Just returned from 1500 miles of driving in France, which all went very nicely thank you very much, although my MPGs suffered a bit with cruising at 85mph for 500 miles straight on the Autoroutes with 4 passengers plus luggage and the air-con working hard against the 35C heat :)

Well, Tank reached the 100k milestone today - he's parked at Skipton Autos at the moment with 100001 on the clock!

As many of you know, I've had him from new, so every one of those miles have been done by me, since I picked him up in October 2004.

Here's to the next 100,000 miles together, although I suspect it'll take more than 7 years, as I've just bought another vehicle, but have yet to pick it up.

I'll not hijack this thread any further, so will start a new one.

Cheers,

Mike

I think it will be awhile before i catch up - 37,000 on my 2004 :)
Nice to know they keep going for a long time as long as they are well loved!

Unless it was a second car i simply cannot imagine only covering 4-5000 miles a year..... used to do that in a month many years ago.... There are many examples of high milage A2's on the German forum so 100k miles (or 160k km's) is not that remarkable.

When I am able to replace it I am hoping my wife will take it over to keep it in the family.... will be hard to part with!

118k miles here... Just had cam belt and water pump replaced for the second time, also thinking of upgrading the knackered original suspension.

My 1.4 TDi is now showing 136K on the clock. I've contributed 97K of 'em :) Had regular servicing and now on it's second cambelt and water pump so here's to the next 136K.

I preferred mile high ;-)

Hi,
I've just hit 185,000 miles, mainly trouble free and in fact (whilst touching the skirting board) no breakdowns.
I've had 2 cambelts & water pumps since buying her with 100k on the clock and F.A.S.H in 2005, oh and a lorry load of tyres, an indicator relay (ouch) a window regulator ( do you really need that big door card to replace a cable?) a new set of alloys after cracking one of the originals, a new oil filler pipe, and seemingly endless sidelight bulbs until I switched to LED.
Service indicator now says 500 miles to go and my ruddy tailgate is playing up.
That said I wouldn't swap it for anything available at the moment, which includes paying 3 grand or so to buy the same car again with less miles on it.
I think the plan now is to see how long it will run for, my bet is around 250,000 miles, anybody know of any higher mileage ones?

Cheers for the post, Bret. 448623km seems to be the current highest = roughly 279k miles. That's from a 1.4 TDi, unsurprisingly.

Back