Miles from a tankful? TDI 75

Just wondering what others have got from their TDi'S. Mine is a Stealth re-mapped 75 (with 127000 on the clock) and for the first time I have tried a mixture of careful motorway miles mixed with A and B road driving.

I have just managed 550 miles on a tankful, and filled up with almost 38 litres to the brim.

I'm pretty chuffed with this. Not sure how many MPG this is as I can't work it out.
So come on peeps. How many MPG's have you managed to squeeze out of a tankful?

Phil

Just wondering what others have got from their TDi'S. Mine is a Stealth re-mapped 75 (with 127000 on the clock) and for the first time I have tried a mixture of careful motorway miles mixed with A and B road driving.

I have just managed 550 miles on a tankful, and filled up with almost 38 litres to the brim.

I'm pretty chuffed with this. Not sure how many MPG this is as I can't work it out.

Phil

wow.. that is an amazing example of some old man driving... I am not sure I would be able to stay focused for long enough to be able to get high numbers...

When I got the FSI sport I was pushing mid to late 40's which is great for a petrol 1.6 but now it is down to mid ot late 30's now I am having fun :D

Litres divided by 4.545 gives you gallons

So 38 divided by 4.545 gives 8.34 gallons (pretty much drained the tank there!)

Divide 550 miles by 8.34 gallons gives 66.2mpg.

Very impressive

Phil

Only 490 miles from a 34l tank. Mixed driving but largely motorway

@jp.oog - how much fuel did you re-fill with on that 490mile trip on one tank? If you managed to brim it with 34litres then again you're in the 65ish mpg bracket, so I would say that is very good efficiency too.

I am too afraid to do that sort of mileage because when my fuel gauge is right touching the bottom when i fill up i have only used 36l and i have a 42l tank. I would try and do more miles but i have no idea how much fuel is left once i use 36l or more!!

Chris

I'm not keen on playing Petrol Station Roulette either, and frankly when the low fuel DEFCON5 Klaxon goes off it's so bloody loud it's worth not going that low just to avoid the shock!

danb

I usually get high sixties week in week out. Even the bad weather only dropped my consumption down to high fifties.
Might be even better now its been serviced by Skipton lol

some of your replies make interesting reading: Old man driving? Hmm. as someone who used to race in his spare time, still owns a highly tuned Caterham 7 and takes it out on track days I've never ever considered myself an old driver type.

what I did was an experiment to see how many miles I could get from a tankful without rushing around like a blue-arsed fly (like I normally do) :eek:

My commute is 100 miles each way and by keeping to sixty mph it only added an extra ten minutes to my journey which surprised me. The other benefit of driving like this is you don't have to worry about speed cameras ;)

The miles left on the DIS was showing 15 miles to go. I never have let it get that low before but at least I now know my car's limits.

I think the A2 is the best car ever for me for many reasons and I've owned BMW's, Merc's and a Rolls Royce in the past. My A2's a long-term keeper. Or until it dies of old age.

wife with lead foot

how come my missis can only get 40 to the gallon in our tdi 90 its done 42,000 miles do you think there's something wrong? mind she says its a bit nippy!!!

on another note great site i look in most evenings

Cheers Tony

Does she drive like it's a petrol?

how come my missis can only get 40 to the gallon in our tdi 90 its done 42,000 miles do you think there's something wrong? mind she says its a bit nippy!!!

on another note great site i look in most evenings

Cheers Tony

There's your answer then. If she's gunning it the whole time and braking late at lights you'll never see good economy. Plus if its being used for lots if short urban journeys its never going to warm up fully either which again kills economy.

Slow down a bit. Makes a big difference to economy and probanly won't arrive much later, plus reduces stress levels!

No she drives it like she stole it

Two kids and not enough time

Cheers Tony

What size is the fuel tank on a 2002 TDI?

When I've drive lets say 30 miles after the bong, then re-fuel, I can only seem to get £37, this is around 27/28 litres?

bba

dan_b lol.

550 miles is amazing from sub 40ltr worth of fuel. Although i read somewhere that huge mileage from old school diesels wasn't even hard back in the day before cleaner diesel showed up, ditto old 4 star would last much longer than rubbish unleaded in a petrol car too.

Going on what i recall of the old stuff, the theory probably right.

Last edited:
Don't forget though that there was less traffic in the old days so fewer jams, and cars generally were slower too.

So how do you work out MPG?

Just done my first refuel since filling up my 75 TDI after purchase, bang on 300 miles on the clock since last fuel up and was amazed to only fit £32.02 in:eek: Used to get 300 miles form a tank in my old Honda Civic, and that was closer to £50 to fill!

Anyway, 300 miles, 24.46 litres(£32.02) to refuel, can anybody convert that to tell me how many MPG I got out of my first tank please?:)

Whatever the case it certainly didn't disappoint, well impressed with that, especially seeing as I have the 17's with low profiles on mine which obviously comes at the expense of some MPG.

Read my first post...

Just did, very useful. So if I worked it out correctly I got just under 56 MPG out of my first tank. Not bad at all, and I guess that could be improved further with a mod or two that I've read about on here(such as the 5th gear one).

Back