Mine is a t**t!

kel

Spent too much getting my coolant leak fixed as parts got lost in post so went Audi as literally had no car for 2 weeks.. thermostat and death pipe (cost double from Audi) manifold flaps cleaned while stripped .. 2 days then orange light back on again

today grinding brakes on drivers side .. ended up 2hrs late!

pads ok enough at quick check, drove round block with breaking to see if it’s a pad crumble but nope.. wheel off again, calliper off, turn disc and still grinding ?

thinking axle or what.. couldn’t see anything rubbing but when about to just sit and cry ( bad week between getting car fixed and having to help with a dead horse that needed dragged 1/2mile before winched into trailer as remote swampy land and due to malicious scum who cut fence)I felt with fingers something loose!

a stone! Wedged inner side where calliper locks onto!
Nightmare week! ????? 41453938-9786-4A37-B4D8-E90D3B667907.jpeg
41453938-9786-4A37-B4D8-E90D3B667907.jpeg

As we get further into winter and the already poor roads break up even more, then I think the jammed stone in the brakes situation is going to get worse. The hardest part is not to panic and check things out properly. I can fully understand if it is your only transport, but in that case put it into a good garage that will not charge you too much. Anything brakes related leave to a garage unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Reactions: kel
I have this quite often on my Volvo. After the same experience with its predecessor, I even carry a long screwdriver specifically to push the backplate inboard through the gaps between the spokes and release the stone. So when one of the A2 fleet picked one up I knew straight away what it was and thanks to the onboard toolkit it got sorted within 200 yards. But doesn't it make a horrendous noise :eek: - I still think 'OMG what's that?' every time, it's just the realisation kicks in quicker now :)

:D Funny I have had this happen to me a few times, just reversed a bit & off comes the stone:)

Happy Xmas to all you good people of the forum?

Well, same thing happened to me today. So horrendous noise :eek: I was aware what it should be but on the side of the road without any tools except original spanner for battery, wheel spanner and jack... I managed to sort it out and drive home ?

Reactions: Ami
Its called a death pipe because when it bursts, you rapidly loose all the coolant in the car & could damage your FSI engine.

Its a large black plastic pipe 18" long going from the water pump through the back of the engine.

I'm new to A2's - as you mentioned an FSI engine. Would the same thing be present in a 1.4 diesel, I forget the code - AMF?

Thanks

I'm new to A2's - as you mentioned an FSI engine. Would the same thing be present in a 1.4 diesel, I forget the code - AMF?

Thanks
I dont think the Tdi,s suffer from this issue, I belive only the 1.6 Fsi has the death pipe.

Back