Misfiring 1.4 petrol in 4th and fifth!

Clackers

Wales
Been asked by an owner who is not on here what this problem may be, drives perfectly, but last night it started coughing and spluttering in fifth, dropped it down to fourth, no difference, like it was running out of fuel, then into 3rd and it was fine...limped home in a mix of 3rd and fourth, and it ran fine...
Now my guesses are 1, fuel filter 2, fuel pump in tank? Any advances on that folks?
Cheers
Andy

Good questions guys!
I have done some work on it regarding the oils ensor and other bits and bobs for him, but have not looked at the exhaust as yet, the engine bay is pristine, but think it may benefit from a full service(although the engine oil is golden I noted!)
I was leaning towards fuel filter as apparently it felt like it was running out of fuel at 50-60mph, but fine at lower revs and speed, this is often over looked when servicing one of our aluminium bullets.
I'll run a scan on it over the weekend for him to see if any faults show up.
Andy
Would the exhaust cause the same problems, as in not allowing the exhaust gases to escape quick enough?

Would the exhaust cause the same problems, as in not allowing the exhaust gases to escape quick enough?

It may well be a factor, as a choked exhaust tends to make itself known in 5th before moving down the box.

A surprising number of A2s still have the original exhaust; the rear cat and the two silencers are the likely points of blockage.

Back