Mk4 golf rear door locks?

Howey

England
Not sure if I have dreamt this but is it correct that mk4 golf (and associated cars) rear door locks fit the A2?

Cheers

Howey

Pretty sure a member on here used them but cannot find the thread to confirm. Timmus is 3 hour round trip sadly and in reality it's more cost and time effective to simply fit a new unit

Morning Tom,

I think you’re possibly referring to the thread below regards VW Golf door lock modules:

Have a read though posts #15 & #18 where the golf module is specifically mentioned.

If you do decide to obtain replacements then it’s got to be worth having a go at soldering any fractured solder joints. Don’t throw out the faulty modules as I’m sure they could be repaired to serve their purpose in another A2.

Edit: The eBay link in Post #15 is still valid which is of course for the drivers door lock module, if you view the sellers other items you’ll notice that you’re quickly presented with the Golf Mk4/Passat B5 door lock modules for the passenger and both rears. With their current discount option it looks like you could get 4x brand new modules for under £100. As these particular items are aftermarket, you do have to wonder how long they will last compared to that of factory items.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
So to sum up and from personal experience, Golf IV REAR locks are perfect in the A2 and fit as is. For the front the best option is the A4 FRONT locks but they need an area of metal removing from their bracket to allow the exterior door handle rod to operate correctly.

For front locks the door glass frame does not need to be removed but for the rear locks the door glass frame needs to be removed for access.

N.B. for the front door locks make sure you get the correct ones for RHD cars, or indeed LHD cars.

Regardless of the brand you now buy they will all have been made with lead free solder so the cracking of joints will still exist.

Back