More adventures with an 1.2TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

frido

Hello!

After just getting my 1.2TDI back two weeks ago, this morning more bad things happened..:-( (I hope that´ enough for a while..)

This morning, I started up the car and the transmission would not shift into gear. I started the engine several times, finally the first gear clicked in, then it would not shift down while driving, and finally the engine stalled at a red light twice and died the last time at the dealership (I must have looked pretty stupid this morning at the red light...).
The transmission on the 1.2 TDI is powered hydraulically, and there is a pump that starts going for 5 seconds when you open the door first. This pump seems to be responsible for maintaining enough hydraulic pressure for the transmission to shift gears, and somewhere around there fluid leaks out according to the mechanic I talked to.
The only good thing is the courtesy car I got, a A3 130hp TDI, I was on the motorway and it topped out at 220kph, according to the speedometer... but you have to be really careful around 2000 rpm because the turbo kicks in all of a sudden...:) Now I understand you Golf 130PD owners!

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Frido,

I certainly hope you get your car sorted out.

Regarding “kick” from the turbo I reckon this is a very good description of what seems to happen in any of the Audi TDI range. In the past I found it near impossible to obtain a ride without forever thrusting the passenger forward when the turbo stepped end, but I have to say that I have not found this to be the case in the Golf PD130. For sure if you are doing 75/80mph and floor the accelerator, then yes its action all the way, but if a gentle toe is used I remain convinced that a smoother ride/progression is possible in the Golf than in the Audi (like an A6).

Regards
John Disdale

Hello John!

I think you´re right, my impression is that the Audi TDI´s are set up more aggressive than VW TDI´s... The allroad A6 I had the chance to drive was similar, not as bad as the A3 due to the 4wheel-drive and the heavier weight but to me very un-diesel-like.

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Just got the A2 back yesterday.... the dealer said the repair was covered with the warranty, but was not willing to tell me what was wrong other than it was some malfunction in the hydraulic system.... which makes me a little suspicious. It sounds a little like a cover-up.

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Frido,

In order that you can keep a firm track of the cars history I would ask your dealer for a list of any/all parts that have been replaced. Just because you are not paying the bill does not mean that you should be kept in the dark as though it is nothing to do with you. Secondly, if its warranty work, then you should have signed a “work sheet” in order that your dealer receives compensation from Audi/importer. Did that happen ? I also mention this when I was recently reading that a major sham has been taking place where dealers have been claiming from the manufacturers that they have fitted parts under the warranty, when they have not done so.

Was you pleased you hand back that TDI 130 ?

Regards
John Disdale

I did not have to sign anything other than a sheet that says "Car won´t shift into gear, fix that".....
But I will ask for a list of the parts that were used, I´ll have to go back again anyway, because now the hydraulic pump makes a really annoying noise after every 2-3 gear changes, whereas before it was silent......:-(

bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Maybe they got you to sign the sheet BEFORE they then completed it for labour/parts. Mmmm, a bit suspect maybe?.

Steve - 1.4SE petrol, 2002, Silver

I have a copy of that sheet, it seems it´s just the sheet that the guys in the garage get so they see what´s wrong with the car....
But I will go back tomorrow and ask what they did to the pump and how they explain the noise all of a sudden....it´s a shame really, 25000 kilometers with this car without any defects, and now this....

And while I liked the engine and transmission on the rental A3 130TDI I had, I don´t like the A3 so much, my kites fit into the A2 much better, and I think I´d prefer the 130TDI in a Golf, which does not have the "macho" image of the A3 over here....

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Went back to the dealership today, and some of the mystery was cleared up. They said that they replaced the whole hydraulics unit and they had another 1.2TDi in last week where they had to do the same. They also said that the new noise is the new pump that has to be run in a little and that it will go away after a while....we´ll see.
It may be that my A2 had this problem because was in the first batch of 1.2´s delivered to customers...(dealers here in Germany got the first ones in July 2001, the first ones delivered were September 2001, I think)

Other than that, I enjoy having my car back...:)

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back