MOT issue #2 Wiper scratching windshield

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
The 2nd issue on my MOT is not a serious one, it is just a note or advisory item...

their is a faint scratch on windshield from the bottom and it fades as you go further up the windshield... when I noticed it I inspected the wiper - I couldn't find any place where anything on the wiper itself could touch the glass (other than the rubbery bits that are supposed to)

but after the MOT I inspected it again and I figured it out... the heel or base of the wiper arm is touching the glass but only at the bottom section, as it raises across the windshield it moves up to not touch the glass...

I could super glue a toy car under it so it just rolls across the glass?

will upload a photo

2348AE1A-91E1-42DE-B91E-AFC76E11A06D.jpeg

Yes this is a common issue with the wiper arms. As the rivets wear and automatic car washes the wiper arm sags until it touches and rubs the screen. Yes the arm can be bent to raise that area away from the screen but ultimately you need to replace the arm. Paul @depronman does an exchange refurbished arm service and his work is first class.

Yes the glass can be polished if not too deep using a kit (as it has all the items needed ) of cerium oxide. Just keep it damp and wear a mask as bad for you.

this is a well-known A2 issue. Paul @depronman refurbishes the arms so that the floppy joints no longer sag so that the arm mounting doesn't scratch the windscreen.

One thing that does sometimes help at this point : replace the wiper blade with a Bosch AR70. This is a hooked mounting replacement "Aero-style" wiper - but as the mounting is bulkier than an original, it lifts the entire mechanism away from the window.

Years back I also managed to perform a "precision adjustment" on the body of the hook to increase the angle between the arm and the window. It worked - had that for a good couple of years before I sent the arm away for Paul to refurbish properly.

see - https://a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/non-aero-wiper-arm-tinkering.37071/#post-325384

Can the windshield be polished or sanded to remove the scratches?
Bend the arm towards the screen
By about 20mm (the single bit that the wiper attachment is on , it’s very stiff but be warned that the arm will smash the screen if it hits it !
Put a piece of wood or something soft to protect it incase you accidentally let it spring back

I just checked the glass and it is still smooth so no grooves or deep scratches… from what I’ve read this can be polished out… whew!

replace the wiper blade with a Bosch AR70.
I don't know if the 70 refers to being 70cm long but I have just bought this one at 75cm long model AP30U and it says fits A2

I don't know if the 70 refers to being 70cm long but I have just bought this one at 75cm long model AP30U and it says fits A2
Alan, yes the number does refer to the size in cm, but the AP30U (inches) is for the later aero wiper arm as fitted to your car. For some reason the earlier hooked arms seem to be specified with a 2" shorter blade. The AR70N is a retrofit of a flat aero blade for a hook arm. There are also Bosch N70 and N75 blades for the hook fitting, which are original cantilever-style wiper blades.

Here is my wiper arm… does the whole arm get taken off and sent for refurb?

I’m guessing i get the newly refurbed arm first then replace it and send old arm back?
F519D363-CF62-4A61-B427-15B8C7574DC5.jpeg

I've had 3 refurbished. If I remember correctly there is normally a deposit system, but I haven't bought one super-recently.

In my case I bought a cheap unrestored one that I put on each car in turn for a few weeks while wiper arms went away to be fettled.

Back