MPG from a 2002 1.4tdi

robrace

Re my previous post!about mpg from my wifes Audi A2 which we have had for 13 years.I have never taken any notice of what it the MPG is.but recently we have been using it a bit more.Mainly short runs average 10 to 15 miles.It runs at 90 deg all day.Just done tank full to tank full check and its done 50.48 mpg.This is driving it fairly economically.How do people get 70mpg plus.We are no where near it.Its a 2002 TDI with new cambelt,waterpump,thermostat etc.Runs fine !

check the temp sensor in the engine, it sends to signals, one to the gauge and one to the ECU
If you ECU is being told its running cold then it will over fuel
A VERY common issue

Something wrong there as with our amf diesel and with a certain guys remap above cough ? lovely Jubly.. I’ve checked last two tank fulls 59mpg with my spirited driving ...and with sally driving only 64.8 mpg ..

Just saw 72mpg on a tankful, almost all on A roads, only problem was 20 minutes stop start following an incident on the A66. Driving fairly economically the average mpg is 60 in winter and 66 in summer. Mine has the same remap as greywolfhound in the post above.
Using fuelly.com is a good check.

Two AMFs here, '02 and '52. My 21-mile each-way commute has a mixture of roads from 20mph to 60mph but usually not much in the way of queueing. Driven fairly conservatively and with anticipation, my remapped '02 gets high 50's to mid-60's depending on the season. I did see nearly 68mpg on one tankful.

My non-remapped '52 got nearly 60mpg on the one commuting tankful I've done so far. After 100 miles of commuting and more than 450 miles of long-running mostly at 55-65mph for the Welsh social at the weekend, it's showing 63.4 on the DIS. From my experience on the last tankful, I suspect this will be a little shy of the actual figure when I eventually need to fill it up.

The best way to get big MPG is to sit at a steady 50-55 on a long journey. The one good thing to be said for endless motorway roadworks with average speed cameras is how they boost your average economy.

02 remapped 75, changed the cambelt Saturday, so reset the timing with the setting tools.
Went off to visit the parents this morning, mix of A road, M25 ? and B road. Sat at 70+ most of the time, dis showed 61mpg avg. Not sure but may be a little better than before. I reset the counter when I refuelled, now on 200 miles and says 260 left in the tank. Never got more than 450 (small tank) even when being conservative , as Proghound above states, sub 60 mph is the sweet spot - B roads I can see 65+ all day long.

Thanks for replies!oil temp sender!Is that something I can change myself?Fairly competent!!Probably worth a try!!

I was getting 70mpg regions when I was doing long 1 and 2 hour commutes... when I moved and only did 5 minute trips to shops my mpg dropped to 50 or so mpg I think it is because it doesn't reach running temp on short trips

I've noticed my temperature gauge is sitting near but quite often a little below 90 these days and drifting sometimes towards the next notch down. Could this be a sign thermostat or temperature sensor is on it's way out perhaps I wonder.... ?

I've noticed my temperature gauge is sitting near but quite often a little below 90 these days and drifting sometimes towards the next notch down. Could this be a sign thermostat or temperature sensor is on it's way out perhaps I wonder.... ?
Mine was like that earlier this year, all sorted with a new thermostat

Cheers guys, I did suspect so although fuel consumption doesn't seem to be dropping notably. I'll order up a thermostat anyway.

Would this show up on a diagnostic ?

yes could be either

My non-remapped '52 got nearly 60mpg on the one commuting tankful I've done so far. After 100 miles of commuting and more than 450 miles of long-running mostly at 55-65mph for the Welsh social at the weekend, it's showing 63.4 on the DIS. From my experience on the last tankful, I suspect this will be a little shy of the actual figure when I eventually need to fill it up.
I just filled up tonight - 590 miles and it still hadn't got to the beep, but I squeezed in 39.5 litres, giving me very nearly 68mpg. Happy with that :)

Let's just break it down backing up the useful information from Paul and others.

Thermostat. Assuming your temp gauge is reading normally, a knackered thermostat will open early (or is open all the time) and dumps all of the precious heat that the wee diesel generates into the radiator early - this is particularly bad on cold days or if you've got high air speeds straight away. The engine will struggle up to 70 degrees or so and then just stay there unless you're driving hard and suddenly stop (ie, traffic jam on motorway) - whereupon you will get 90 degrees for a few seconds until you have airflow again and then the temperature will drop off like a stone.

Temp sensor. As Paul has stated above, this is a double unit (green with 4 pins), both reading the same thing but sending info to two different places. Both sides are prone to occasional failure, but not necessarily simultaneously. Dash readout is useful, but is purely information. ECU readout governs which map set your ECU is using based on engine temperature - basically analogous to the manual choke you would decide to use 30 years ago while it was cold until it warmed up. If the dash side fails - you don't know what your engine is doing. If the ECU side fails, the ECU doesn't know what the engine is doing, so usually assumes that it is cold and chooses the lower performance higher fuelling maps to warm the engine up. This has the same effect as a knackered thermostat, but for a different reason - it will burn through fuel quickly and may also affect how clean your engine is.

My Tdi car had both problems when I bought it - thermostat and sporadic issue with dashboard temp readout although the engine side was probably normal. Replacing thermostat made it run better. Replacing coolant temp sensor meant I knew what temperature it was without using the ODBII reader. Both sensor and thermostat are easy jobs if you have the right small hand-tools and a bit of nous as well as following the various threads here instructing you how to do it.

One further thing. We get dramatic differences depending on the tyres. My other half has notoriously heavy feet which in her slightly badly-running 1.4i with a small tank means she gets 180-190 miles on a tank of unleaded before the light comes on and I get sent back to the refinery to get more. This is typical without fail for the last 7 months with no difference attributable to air temperature (I've checked both temp outputs suggesting thermostat and sensor are fine) - the fuel use has been more or less uniform under any conditions. We swapped over from the excellent Nexen winters to a new set of Aoteli summers 2 weeks ago at the same time as refilling the tank, and her car just went 204 miles on 27 litres, so would easily have gone 250 before the light came on. When I drive her car I get around 20% more economy than her, so I may be able to get it to 280-300 on a tank with a bit of effort, but then I'd have to prise the keys of the Island green car out of her hands which wouldn't go down well. Injectors next on the list of things to try to clean up the fuelling precision - but I was astonished by the improved fuel figures just from a set of wheels.

Mornin

Should easily get to mid 60 mpg

My ATL engined 90’, with a snap crankshaft managed the the low 60 before final packing up

Check the type pressure, and the tracking , this would follow the replacement temp sender , type pressure , or lack of can really hit the MPG ... tracking less so

Following the modification made to Basil , and my driving style, I see 600-650 from a tank , and mid 70mpg , however my driving mix is 80% motorways 15% A roads , with the final bit urban crawling , most trips are upwards of 100 miles

Car had got a 6 speed box. Remapped, and the couple of the areo mods from the 1.2 TDI which do add a couple more to the MPG , gear box a further 5mpg

Regards

Just a quick question on thermostats: I had a lot of pipes & the sensor replaced at Christmas, and also included was a 'thermostat housing'. I do see a temperature sometimes on the dash, so I know the sensor is working, but it's usually very low or non-existent. Is the thermostat housing actually the thermostat?

no, the thermostat sits in the block and housing covers it and seals the water into the block and water pipes

Re my previous post!about mpg from my wifes Audi A2 which we have had for 13 years.I have never taken any notice of what it the MPG is.but recently we have been using it a bit more.Mainly short runs average 10 to 15 miles.It runs at 90 deg all day.Just done tank full to tank full check and its done 50.48 mpg.This is driving it fairly economically.How do people get 70mpg plus.We are no where near it.Its a 2002 TDI with new cambelt,waterpump,thermostat etc.Runs fine !

Had my 2003 AMF 1.4 TDi from new and it has never done 60 MPG. Typical MPG is 50 to 55. It will be interesting to see if you get an improvement, but for mainly short runs I'd not expect much more than 50.

Back