Mud flaps??

Philjourno

When I was young and hip in the 80s (well just young) mud flaps were for old folk and car dealers who managed to punt them out at point of sale as some sort of enhancement for silly money. Wierd.
But.......... I have three A2's and one of them has 16 inch rims and flaps. Oddly from the back it improves the profile making the arches look fuller.
Question. Should we all be flapping up or do they still actually look a wee bit crap?

I have them, had them on my previous A2, and an array of brand new cars which include a new Mazda 6 and VW up!. Personally, I like the profile and look of them - aside of cosmetics, the fronts protect the arches and sills from chips and spray (to a degree) and the rears reduce spray for following vehicles. Safety and aesthetics in my opinion and the A2 does suit them, he says ducking for cover...

DSC_0028_1.jpg

I’ve put mudflaps on 3 of my A2s without votex kits as I think it finishes an A2 off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i agree with darren -it looks great ross and i think the mudflap look great and glad i have them on my every day driver.

Flaps are a safety item which cut down on spray for other road users on fast roads. They also cut down on stone chipping to your plastic side sills. For these reasons alone, I think that flaps should be standard fit for every car, just as they are for most HGVs (where they're known as spray suppression).

When there's been as much attempt to have them blend in as well as they do on the A2, I think it's another reason to fit them. Pity they've been discontinued now!

The front mud flaps are no longer available but the rears can still be bought from Crewe Audi for around £24.

I think the biggest improver of looks is wheels that come further out in the arches than the OEM 15"/16" styles, these alone make a huge difference. If you're already on the 17" Sports rims then you're sorted in that respect. I've gone from OEM SE to 16" TT alloys. But the mudflaps really set the wider wheels off a treat to complete the look. Compare these two shots of mine, before and after.

Attachments

• Photo0874.jpg
    Photo0874.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 261
  • Photo0957.jpg
    Photo0957.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 266
I have them, had them on my previous A2, and an array of brand new cars which include a new Mazda 6 and VW up!. Personally, I like the profile and look of them - aside of cosmetics, the fronts protect the arches and sills from chips and spray (to a degree) and the rears reduce spray for following vehicles. Safety and aesthetics in my opinion and the A2 does suit them, he says ducking for cover...
No need to duck for cover you are winning me over

I fitted a set of front mud flaps at the weekend whilst doing the long 5th gear mod, had back already, but now all wheels look 'correct' with flaps fitted

if you live somewhere with serious snow they're essential - without them, you're kicking the wings after stopping to get rid of the snow buildup and with them, you're just tapping the flap.

- Bret

Back