My A2 1.2tdi wont start.

Helgeed

Hello. I bought an 1.2tdi who did not run. I changed the gearbox because it was a big hole in it. I also changed the clutch. I did a full adaptation on the clutch with Vas Audi diagnostic tools. It was running really nice. Then I parked the car for 1mnd. I started the car and drowe it to my garage. Changed tires and now it won't start again. Nothing happens when I turn the key. If I take the batteri of, and on again , it starts as normal. But if I stops the car and tries to start it again, nothing happens. Same every time. It registers all the gears, and the brake pedal. No faults registered in the memory. If it stands for a day, it starts the first time. Then the battery must be taken of, or it won't start again. Does anybody know some tricks for this problem?

Sounds like the ecu may not be aware turned off?
So conditions to start not satisfied?
Ruling out immobiliser if consistent pattern
One for @RAB

Does the hydraulic pump start when the ignition is turned on? If it does, how many gear changes can you make in tiptronic mode before the pump restarts? Have you checked the hydraulic oil level?

RAB

When the car starts, i can hear the hydraulic pump. When it don't start, the pump is not running. If I take of the batteri, or the car stands for a day, it starts again, one or two times, and then it don't start, before it stands for some time, or the batteri is disconnected. Seems like something is needing sleep mode/resetting? There is no faults in the memory on engine/gear/kombi/brakes.

How many gear changes can you make in tiptronic mode (engine not running) before the pump restarts? By oil, you mean hydraulic oil? An expired accumulator with little or no nitrogen will not give any fault codes.

RAB

The pump starts when I take on the ignition. It starts again when I put it in D. And I can shift to 3 gear before it starts again. Then I try to start, and it won't start. When I then put it in tip again. Then The gears don't change. It stands in 1 and the pump will not function again, before I take on/of the battery. Yes I mean the hydraulic oil. ?

I don't know the system but, does it have an inhibitor switch connected to the gear selector to stop it staring in gear which could be failing.?

Starting the engine will be inhibited if there is insufficient hydraulic pressure, if the system detects a problem with the clutch (out of adjustment or faulty actuator pot) or if there is no foot on the clutch pedal. Might also be worth checking the foot brake switch - note switching of the brake lights doesn't necessarily mean that the switch is OK, as the brake switch is actually two switches.

RAB

Does it start more reliably in neutral, rather than STOP? If so, it might indicate a failing gear actuator potentiometer.

RAB

When i changed the clutch and gearbox, I did the adaption on elsa, audi vag program, whit vas from audi. But I should try it again. Yes, I stepp on the brake pedal, and that's the results. I will try the basic settings again. It will take a couple of weeks before I can do this, because of my work. I will come back whit an answer when it's done! Thanks. Happy New year!

I did the basic settings on the clutch, and did calibrate gearbox, just like you diskrib in the link. But I can try it again, and measure the brake switch. The thing I can't see a red tread in, is that the car.starts only on the first attempt. Not the.seckond time. But if it stands for the night, it starts again, but only one time.

Does it start in neutral, rather than STOP? I suspect that your gear actuator potentiometer is starting to fail. If so, it should start in neutral but will eventually fail completely after about another 5 to 10k km. You can either replace the actuator or send the sensor end to Mankmil on A2-freun.de; he will replace the pot with a Hall effect sensor. The latter option will be the cheaper and longer lasting solution. He's OK with English.

RAB

Also are you sure that the clutch guide sleeve is OK? Check the clutch voltage as if you are doing a basic setting (without doing one), then reconnect electrically. Then unplug and check the voltage again. It should the same as before. If not, it is possible that the guide sleeve is failing. If you leave it long enough, it will get back to the original position, which might explain the start/non-start problem.

RAB

Back