My car waste a lot of gas

Asllan

I sent my car to a service, he said that he can't do anything to reduce the amount of losing gas. Any suggestion?
Audi A2 1.4 TDI 2001.

Attachments

• audi fuel.jpg
    audi fuel.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 271
Is the car reaching 90 degrees on the temperature gauge within 10 minutes of driving? If not, then that will significantly affect the fuel economy.

Also check that your brake drums are not binding on.

There are many reasons for poor fuel economy, but this is a good starting point.

No. Usually the temperature stays at 60 degrees
I will check the brake drums.
Thank you for the reply.

Ok my advice to you:

1. Get a new mechanic.
2. Change the coolant temperature sensor
3. Change the thermostat

Both relatively cheap jobs and should improve your economy.

Ok my advice to you:

1. Get a new mechanic.
2. Change the coolant temperature sensor
3. Change the thermostat

Both relatively cheap jobs and should improve your economy.
Can you explain why this will help? I understood the firs part I'm asking about 2) and 3).I don't know much about the cars but I'm intersting to learn. Thank you Steve

Can you explain why this will help? I understood the firs part I'm asking about 2) and 3).I don't know much about the cars but I'm intersting to learn. Thank you Steve
If the car is running cold or at least if the car thinks it is cold then it will add more fuel than is necessary.

I have the same problem I lose a lot of coolant but what is matter this with losing the gas.
Thank you for reply
This is more of a concern. You need to find the source of the water usage. Using excessive amounts of water and fuel can be a sign of a head gasket issue.

Hi Asllan,

in both of your threads here you have given some basic information that suggests common faults experienced by many people here - but I think this is getting confused with other posts regarding coolant levels from other users and some linguistic issues.

1) Get a new battery, because the old one is not giving enough voltage to crank the car in cold weather.
2) If the car does not go > 60˚C on the driver thermometer reading after several km driving hard, change the thermostat - if the thermostat is broken the car's engine will never get warm. If this has no effect with the temperature reading on the dashboard, replace the coolant temperature sensor as well. 1.4Tdi engines run very cold, so unless the thermostat *AND* the temperature sensor are working perfectly, the driver temperature gauge will remain on 60 degrees all day, especially in cold weather.

If the car is cold (<90˚C water temperature) - or the sensor is broken so the car thinks it is cold, it will use large amounts of fuel because the computer believes the car needs more fuel to warm up quickly.

This is not the same as losing fuel, or losing coolant mentioned in another person's thread - these descriptions suggest a broken pipe or bad seal.

Is your car also losing coolant (ie, water level falling)? You have not mentioned this precisely before.

To help with answering the question of the temperature sensor, VCDS or a computer reader connected to the car may help further by giving more accurate diagnosis of your problems. If you give us more information, we can help better.

Good luck!

Back