My new a2 - an exciting project

leehallum

A2OC Donor
Hi my name is lee and I am slowly finding my way around this great forum, and am very grateful for the advice and help that I have received in the short time that I have been a member.

As I have previously mentioned I have always loved the a2 and am really pleased to have now bought one.

After a lot of searching I have bought a 2003 1.6 fsi sport in silver with 17" rs4 alloys, a black leather and suede interior, panoramic roof, fog lights, front and rear electric windows with just 51k miles. Everything works perfectly and the inside and outside is in excellent condition. The car has a full service history, it's been really well looked after and according to the paperwork did less than 10k miles over the last two years.

There are however a few niggles with the car which I would like to sort before I think about making a few improvements like updating the steering wheel, headlights and a bit of an engine tune up.

The items on the list to sort before I do anything else are:

Replace/ fix the front door check straps as the front doors are both clicking

Replace two of the buttons (or all of them) on the climate control unit which are a little worn for the gloss plastic type if possible

Get two of the wheels refurbed

Sort a small scratch on the passenger door, a scuff on the front bumper and a small dent on the bonnet

Sort out a section of the rubber seal under the rear spoiler which has sagged slightly

I have a space saver spare wheel, but it looks a little untidy in the boot so would like to find a cover for it

I am missing the service book with stamps, but have all the receipts to say when it was done, so would like to get a new book and see if I can get it re stamped

Give the engine and engine bay a good clean to tidy it up

Paint the front and rear callipers

And sort s couple of rattles and creaks from the interior (if possible)

And I think that is it for now... I'm not looking to produce a concours car, I just want to get it all tidied up and looking as good as possible.

I will add some photos of the car as it is, and then of any bits that I get sorted.

The last time I felt this obliged to really look after and work on a car like this was when I had my first classic mini about 17 years ago.

I can see it becoming a real part of the family

Hi Lee,

That is a great posting, it is good to hear of your plans and great that you already seem to have become "attached" to your A2.

As you tackle each job, let us know and we will see if we can help.

In the "How to" section is a new thread that I have put together that lists a LOT of the "how to's" and useful information
A list of some of the "How To's" and useful threads

Have a browse when you get time I am sure that you will find some useful info and help.

Looking forward to the pictures, and meeting you at one of the socials.

Steve B

Hi Lee,

That is a great posting, it is good to hear of your plans and great that you already seem to have become "attached" to your A2.

As you tackle each job, let us know and we will see if we can help.

In the "How to" section is a new thread that I have put together that lists a LOT of the "how to's" and useful information
A list of some of the "How To's" and useful threads

Have a browse when you get time I am sure that you will find some useful info and help.

Looking forward to the pictures, and meeting you at one of the socials.

Steve B

That's fantastic, thank you Steve, these how to's will certainly help me and give me a bit more confidence with tackling some jobs on the car!

Here are a couple of photos of the car as it currently stands:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

In the last photo you can see where I have covered two of the climate control buttons with some stickers I got from a company in Germany via eBay, they look great but in the sunlight you can see they are a different colour/ finish to the other buttons. It's a short term solution but is better than looking at the worn buttons

That's a very well specced car :)
You're lucky, you have a double DIN dash (because of the Symphony stereo). So, if you fancy an upgrade to modern navigation headunit, it will be easy.

Great looking car Lee, this forum is a breath of fresh air if you've any niggles/problems with your car, genuinely helpfull bunch!
With regards spare wheel I know it's not right but till I find the spare wheel bracket etc I've used my cargo net which seems to hold the wheel rigid, temporary only but will do for now!
Cheers Jeff

Spider-Man would be proud!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 324
Great looking car Lee, this forum is a breath of fresh air if you've any niggles/problems with your car, genuinely helpfull bunch!
With regards spare wheel I know it's not right but till I find the spare wheel bracket etc I've used my cargo net which seems to hold the wheel rigid, temporary only but will do for now!
Cheers Jeff

Spider-Man would be proud!!

Yes, he bought it on the web!

Steve B

Back