My new (to me) A2 Tdi 90 off the road until 2020!

Stevieb

Noticed a sort of binging noise coming from the front near side and thought it was coming from the radio.
It got worse especially at low speed turning either way.
Suspect a spring broken but can't see any evidence.
Booking it in for the first week in January but it's back to the A4 in the neantime !

Broken spring tends to be noisier jingling noise going over pot-holes in a straight line (from experience) ; top mount gives you boings and sproings and grumbling noises when you are turning steering from lock to lock at a standstill due to loading the spring up and then releasing it erratically (and causes them to break quickly). Hope it is the lesser of the two ills, although if it's not already been done, if you're getting the springs replaced get the topmounts done too - I've done this with all three of mine as part of the steering rebuilds and they are very sweet to steer now.

The dull boing/rumble on turning sounds like what I've got going on on two of my three A2's. Think it's on the nearside in both cases, luckily. The worse one is in for MOT first thing in January, if they don't pick it up I'll have them look at it while it's there.

Having done.mine only last weekend it certainly sounds like a failing top bearing.
However, the RH or more tricky one was indeed easier than the LH, as the damper came.out of the hub without having to compress the spring on the car. The difficulty is what bits to remove to get to the top bolts.

Really appreciate all your contributions.
The noise of the boings sounds familiar and it appesrs to be coming from the near side.
It's at times like this the the a2 club is really supportive Especially when I have a long wait to get it fixed.

Many thanks again

Steve

That'll be the off-side top mount gone in mine, then. How much am I looking at? It took £140 to do a broken rear spring on my A4, so I hope that hasn't gone, too. The A2's MoT was in October, typical that this might have broken since!

I'm having the very same sounds on the nearside suspension, I've not been able to drive the car on the road as its sorn but just moving it around the dive the boinging twanging sound is there when I have to steer it lock to lock.
Mind you, when the daughter inlaw had it she hit a really bad pot hole at around 40mph on the nearside and it progressively got worse.
I have the car back now as she got herself another car so I'm slowly working on this one to sell on eventually..

This must be like the flu bug ? spreading Sally’s a2 is the same on offside ☹️ Not bad but you can hear it especially when crawling turning the wheels ..I have everything here to fit before MOT in February ..

Well 2020 is here and I took the car to my repairer.
Strangely quiet on the way.
Thoroughly checked over and springs fine and top mounts in good condition. Sprayed the rubber parts with "WD and "see how it goes"
Still slight squeak on low speed monoevering but a bit more relaxed to learn nothing major.

Thanks for your contributions

Steve B 11

Back