MYP Box Starter Motor

gangitano85

A2OC Donor
Belgium
Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered previously, but a quick search on the different MYP threads did not give me a 100% definite answer.

I am currently sorting all the bits out to have the MYP conversion done on my TDI90. The gearbox itself is sorted, but I am struggling with the starter motor. I have been advised that the correct part number is 02Z911024HX, yet I have read that the 02Z911024H will do as well. As far as I know, the only difference is the rated power (2.2kW for the former, 2kW for the latter). Does this make any difference at all?

Also, I am not sure whether to go for a brand new motor or a used / refurbished one. The used ones don't look that great on the outside, but maybe that's normal?

Sorry for being a complete noob here :confused:

The X at the end of a part number usually signifies that it's been remanufactured, so it should be the same item.

Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered previously, but a quick search on the different MYP threads did not give me a 100% definite answer.

I am currently sorting all the bits out to have the MYP conversion done on my TDI90. The gearbox itself is sorted, but I am struggling with the starter motor. I have been advised that the correct part number is 02Z911024HX, yet I have read that the 02Z911024H will do as well. As far as I know, the only difference is the rated power (2.2kW for the former, 2kW for the latter). Does this make any difference at all?

Also, I am not sure whether to go for a brand new motor or a used / refurbished one. The used ones don't look that great on the outside, but maybe that's normal?

Sorry for being a complete noob here :confused:
You need a new starter from a CAYC engined car Thomas. Any circa-2011-2013 1.6tdi VAG car with a six speed would have one.

Don’t bother going for used if you plan on keeping the car - mine lasted for 2 years and then stuck, meaning the car wouldn’t start without the bonnet coming off to give the motor a whack with a pole - and I had to call the breakdown service for that.

I replaced it with a new item shortly after.

I found this one from a very low mileage car:

A new one from Bosch would be at least twice that amount.
Although I agree with @dj_efk that if a new one is available affordably go for that, I have a CAYC-type starter from a low mileage (<25k Audi Q3 (from memory)) that I got off Ebay that has been perfect on my PTW-box car thus far. Much meatier than the original starter and it doesn't squeak on the overrun.. (win win!!). I have another one also on low miles that is going into the AMF-NTG box build car. I don't remember either being above the £20-£30 range including delivery. Just checked. First one £30, second one £24.Both part number 02Z911024L - try this part code as well as the H-suffix above.

They are all stop-start starter motors, so designed for a lot of start-stop cycles - you just have to be lucky and get one that hasn't done it as much for the mileage covered - my ones were 2017 and 2016 respectively - obviously in the cars (ie Passats) used you could get something 3-4 years older with considerably higher cycle counts on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nod
Yes to be fair I got mine cheap from eBay from a breakers, mileage unknown - so very possible you'll get just as good service out of a known-low mileage one.

It seems to be like this: £20-35 for a used one with serious corrosion and unknown mileage, £65-80 for a used one with genuine (low) mileage and £200+ for a brand new one.

I got mine for £25 from eBay. Bearing in mind my original had done 175K I wasn't too bothered about buying one 9 years newer.

Last edited:
It seems to be like this: £20-35 for a used one with serious corrosion and unknown mileage, £65-80 for a used one with genuine (low) mileage and £200+ for a brand new one.
Keep looking every week. I got <25K and <40K for <£30, decent condition. You will find one - there are so many cars of that starter type out there over the various VAG brands Europe-wide.

Back