Mystery coolant leak.. is it possibly the 'death pipe' or thermostat housing? (cleaning the maniforld flaps?

kel

Easy first Question for those knowledgeable...

To clean the manifold flaps (engine check light on dash, mechanic is certain this is the cause) Can these be accessed without removing the engine? Any video links or how to's ?

The big question
I have a substantial coolant leak but can't see the source from the top view or from underneath using the mechanics ramp and a mirror (coolant is empty within a week and mech bunged some wonderweld in last weds as a temporary fix which has blew out today) Leak is somewhere behind the engine and under manifold direction.. is it possibly the death pipe, thermostat housing, can this be done also without taking whole engine bay apart?

If it seems likely if both can be fixed without complete dismantling what parts would be worth buying if it's an affordable fix as in not going to cost £700-£800 for parts and labour (mech charges about £20- £25 per hour labour but not worked on a2 before)?

04 1.6 fsi standard model

I don't want to dismantle it if possible just yet as I've grown to love the little thing! Any help or pointers would be great!

Since you say, coolant from behind of engine and under manifold, I would say, 'Highly Likely' it is the 'death-pipe' ?

Last edited:
Reactions: kel
Hi,

Don't worry about taking things apart. It is just fiddly, not difficult. I'd say forget about the leak and just replace the housing + pipe anyway. It would be really rude not to! Take it from me, and I've been rude enough.

Having worked on the fsi quite a bit; replace all plasitv if they are past their 5th birthday.

EDIT: Yes, you can do most of the work mentioned without removing the engine. BUT; if you are removing the engine for whatever reason, make sure you replace clutch, release bearing, CV joints (all 4), and maybe even wheel bearings or worn out suspension parts. If you are paying someone doing this then you will save money on labour by doing it all at once. If you are doing it yourself, then get a couple of Voltaren gel tubes as your back is going to be really sore afterwards.

Regards,
Evros

Hi,

Don't worry about taking things apart. It is just fiddly, not difficult. I'd say forget about the leak and just replace the housing + pipe anyway. It would be really rude not to! Take it from me, and I've been rude enough.

Having worked on the fsi quite a bit; replace all plasitv if they are past their 5th birthday.

EDIT: Yes, you can do most of the work mentioned without removing the engine. BUT; if you are removing the engine for whatever reason, make sure you replace clutch, release bearing, CV joints (all 4), and maybe even wheel bearings or worn out suspension parts. If you are paying someone doing this then you will save money on labour by doing it all at once. If you are doing it yourself, then get a couple of Voltaren gel tubes as your back is going to be really sore afterwards.

Regards,
Evros

It runs lovely otherwise and alu body is my huge bonus as I'm often parked in mud! Need the shopping list for mechanic stuff !! :D
Can't get it into my house garage and trying to sort a 73' vw t2 at same time so even driveway out of action! supspension etc. alll seems sweet but need it functional... already planning a look at a local t2 for sale and vw golf gti :D I want to keep this alive if possible though!

Voltarol stuff, I think I need a bath of it before I even mess with car! The engine bay on t2 is bloody awful!

Gave up on pictures, only thing that could be seen was the wet bottom! (no ramp to put car on)
After a lot of reading I'm convinced it's the death pipe/thermostat housing area so have these parts ordered and car booking into garage for next week, getting the manifold cleaned up at same time.

As well as the these (30 and 29) could anyone tell me the numbers from the diagram of whatever else is worth replacing while it's all accessible?
coolant diagram.jpg
coolant diagram.jpg

My rule of thumb is to replace everything that you can with good quality aftermarket hose and stainless barb/T/Y fittings. If the space allows that is. For the extremely bent/curbed hoses try and get OEM or VAG.

Apologies but I cannot even remember what I have replaced on this car. I have replaced 11 very recently with a VAG part (ebay special). I have also replaced most of what you can see around the expansion tank with what I've mentioned above. Don't go plastic if you do, get stainless fittings. You get the added bonus of a steampunk engine bay.

My rule of thumb is to replace everything that you can with good quality aftermarket hose and stainless barb/T/Y fittings. If the space allows that is. For the extremely bent/curbed hoses try and get OEM or VAG.

Apologies but I cannot even remember what I have replaced on this car. I have replaced 11 very recently with a VAG part (ebay special). I have also replaced most of what you can see around the expansion tank with what I've mentioned above. Don't go plastic if you do, get stainless fittings. You get the added bonus of a steampunk engine bay.
from above diagram could you pin point significant parts? I don't know what's rubber, metal or plastic as standard but will order anything asap that's worth replacing for in garage next week (reluctant mechanic lol)

I had to replace 35, 36, 37, 15, 13, 3, 11, 14, 23, 22. I replaced these as they aged. Most of the plastic bits began to leak and when I tried to tighten them up they just disintegrated. Give everything a good wiggle.

I had to replace 35, 36, 37, 15, 13, 3, 11, 14, 23, 22. I replaced these as they aged. Most of the plastic bits began to leak and when I tried to tighten them up they just disintegrated. Give everything a good wiggle.
Thank you!

It’s alive again! Hopefully not visiting mechanic for at least a few months! ?
Was worried it was going to end up a donor/scrapper! ?

coolanto rings etc. , death pipe and thermostat all replaced with Audi oem parts, manifold cleaned... no leaks and eml light finally off!

hopefully it gets through winter then it’s airbag ecu and stays solid! Mot is summer so will also think about the fsi remap as hopefully it’s got many years to go! ?

Back