Need new windscreen. Any pitfalls?

Hello Gentlemen,

As it says in the title, I need to have a new windscreen fitted as the current one has about a 100mm crack from the bottom edge up and then across the screen. I'm insured with Tesco and think I need to pay £75 for a replacement.

The car is a 2004 1.4 TDi (90) Sport. The glass is tinted.

Is there anything I have to look out for in this replacement process such as non-Audi screens etc.

All help appreciated.

Thank you.

Robbie

There is a whole thread about this that discussed the merits of the various screens.
The general consensus seems to be that original Audi part is the way to go (it is made by Saint Gobain).
Out of interest where exactly does the crack begin on your screen. I have had a new screen crack on the left hand side about 200mm in from the edge and my brother had more or less the same with a new screen in his A2.

I had a replacement windscreen from Autoglass which was non-oem fitted to my previous A2 and I was never happy with it, even after they replaced it a second time.

The rubber seal that goes around the frame of the window never sat right (particularly at the top corners) and the glass also didn't have a tint to the top part of the screen.

Fair dues to Autoglass they did a good job and replaced it twice but my insurer would not approve a genuine Audi screen.

If I had to do it again I'd fight for an OEM part all the way.

Had mine done last week. I read through the old thread & requested a genuine screen. Very competent fitter & very pleased so far. Same size crack in same place as yours by the sound of it.

Does an A2 with OSS have to be treated any differentlly for windscreen replacement as the drainage channels seem to be behind the screen foam seal which if blocked cause water to back-up preventing the OSS from draining? I'm unable to clear my drivers A-Pillar with a suitable cycle brake cable as it gets stuck about 7" from the base of the windscreen. Is this likely to be sealant blockage?

Thanks for the advice. With regard to the reason for the crack, if yours is in the same position as mine then it is right under two rivets that hold the blade to the arm. I wouldn't mind betting that if the wiper is let go with a bang the rivets could give the screen a bang. Mine went in the snow so perhaps a combination of the two.

Although my post above drew no comments I have decided to have an Audi screen fitted by Audi since the consensus seems to be that the Saint Gobain screen is of s better quality and has the tinted top Band. I will be more able to ensure that the silicone doesn't block any drainage channels in the drivers side A-pillar.

I went to Autoglass in the end. The screen is not OEM but it is as per OEM spec and looks fine and the guy made an excellent job of fitting it.

However their customer service was useless. They cancelled the appointment twice at very short notice and the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. A clue to the reason for this came when I asked the fitter if I could have had an Audi screen if I had wanted it. He said yes, but I would have had to have waited even longer for it. Which suggests to me that the reason my appointments were cancelled were that they didn't have the screen.

I went to Autoglass in the end. The screen is not OEM but it is as per OEM spec and looks fine and the guy made an excellent job of fitting it.

At the risk of pouring custard over your vindaloo, anyone can place a windscreen in the hole, and as long as it is cleaned well, most people would think it was a professional job.

Did you see if they treated the contact surface correctly? Could you check to see if the painted surface wasn't damaged/scratched in any way? Were you able to see if the fabric on the A-pillar trims or leading edge on the headlining were clean and not damaged in any way? Because if not, it would be a shame to discover this when nothing can be done about it.

Just saying.

'As per OEM spec', it is because, they told you? If it is not OEM, it is not OEM, simple. TBF, there are some instances where the OEM logo has been removed but this is quite rare. This explores - or asks the question - beyond what you're told: http://www.glasstecpaul.com/windscreen-manufacturers-what-do-they-really-mean/

At the risk of pouring custard over your vindaloo, anyone can place a windscreen in the hole, and as long as it is cleaned well, most people would think it was a professional job.

Did you see if they treated the contact surface correctly? Could you check to see if the painted surface wasn't damaged/scratched in any way? Were you able to see if the fabric on the A-pillar trims or leading edge on the headlining were clean and not damaged in any way? Because if not, it would be a shame to discover this when nothing can be done about it.

Just saying.

'As per OEM spec', it is because, they told you? If it is not OEM, it is not OEM, simple. TBF, there are some instances where the OEM logo has been removed but this is quite rare. This explores - or asks the question - beyond what you're told: http://www.glasstecpaul.com/windscreen-manufacturers-what-do-they-really-mean/

No I didn't check all those things but I did threaten him with The Comfy Chair if he messed up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. With regard to the reason for the crack, if yours is in the same position as mine then it is right under two rivets that hold the blade to the arm. I wouldn't mind betting that if the wiper is let go with a bang the rivets could give the screen a bang. Mine went in the snow so perhaps a combination of the two.

Eight years later, it's gone again, also in the snow.

I think you'll be OK. The replacement I had via insurance was non-OEM but tinted with a band, identical to the original. It says Fy on it, presume that's the manufacturer.

I had a Windscreen replaced by one of the large companies. At the time my Tdi 90 was at a garage wanting for parts for an engine repair,so they agreed to replace windscreen at garage
When I picked the car up about 4 days later, I inspected the new windscreen and they had scratched both A pillars removing the old screen and also broken the plastic trim below the screen around the wipers
It took months to get them too agree to replace just the plastic trim but refused to repair paint. Now I always make sure I'm around to inspect work straight after replacement

I had a Windscreen replaced by one of the large companies. At the time my Tdi 90 was at a garage wanting for parts for an engine repair,so they agreed to replace windscreen at garage
When I picked the car up about 4 days later, I inspected the new windscreen and they had scratched both A pillars removing the old screen and also broken the plastic trim below the screen around the wipers
It took months to get them too agree to replace just the plastic trim but refused to repair paint. Now I always make sure I'm around to inspect work straight after replacement

That is a good point, they are doing it at my home and I will make sure I have a good look before paying (the excess).

Just had Jaipur done by Autoglass, the technician checked all paintwork and asked me to remove bonnet, although he knew how . He used an electric machine stuck to the inside of the screen with ‘cheese wire’ - brilliant bit of kit and the screen came out easily. New screen has tinting, he reckoned old one was not Audi either
The rubber surround in the top corners is ever so slightly lower than the glass, but the old one was. All in all very happy with Autoglass and they came out in snow and ice and kept me informed all the way

Does anyone have any idea why the screen seems prone to crack in this location?
Yes it is the wiper arm, it taps on the screen and chips it. The screen is structural, a crack forms at the chip then runs across and up the screen. The crack becomes noticeable months after the chip but can happen faster in winter.
Lost two screens to MOT testers, one to a flyer poster and one to a speed bump. The fix is to keep the arm joints in good order and when the Audi rubber screen protector buffer drops off, it doesn’t last long, tie on a 9v battery terminal protector cap with strong fishing line.
I can get a picture if that helps. .

Last edited:
Back