Netted Seat Backs

993BOY

My 05 reg SE has no nets on the back of the seats, I wonder if you can tell me whether this was an option?
Is it possible to retro fir them??

The only reference that I've found is in the 'A2 Details' brochure where it says that storage nets are "in combination with 'Satellite' seat fabric", so presumably yours has some other style for the seat upholstery.

this is a point of confusion for many. As in: we tried to work out if there was a logic to having the nets or not and ended up believing there was no logic. Retrofit? I doubt it without opening up the covers or re-covering.

- Bret

Always understood the nets only came with the fabric upgrade to Satellite, Matrix or leather, or with the Colour Storm edition, or on Sport seats. All the photos and actual interiors I've ever seen bear that out: not yet seen a set of nets on a front seat that wasn't one of the above, never seen a set of any of the above without them. So it was really only the standard SE seats without a fabric upgrade of some sort that didn't have them - but that's quite a large percentage.

Thanks for the replies, doesn't look worth the hassle of a retro fit then! especially if they don't hold much.

On another matter relating to dogs (not poo bags...empty), is there anywhere where I could get a good boot liner to stop it getting plastered in dog hairs and mud?

Always understood the nets only came with the fabric upgrade to Satellite, Matrix or leather, or with the Colour Storm edition, or on Sport seats.
It may be that the Central European cars followed a different logic, but @Proghound's understanding is also my understanding.
Basic SE seats came without storage nets, nor the option to fit them; the rear fabric is sewn from one side to the other. However, any kind of seat upgrade automatically included the rear storage nets. That means you get storage nets with SE seats that are covered in anything other than the standard Cirrus cloth (that description includes Colour.Storm seats) or any kind of Sport seats.

I have Sport seats in my A2, so have the storage nets. I like their aesthetic, but they're next to useless. As @spike says, anything bigger than a doggy poo bag or the leaflet from your last visit to a National Trust property will stretch them out of shape and leave them looking very saggy. @murdo can confirm this!

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, doesn't look worth the hassle of a retro fit then! especially if they don't hold much.

On another matter relating to dogs (not poo bags...empty), is there anywhere where I could get a good boot liner to stop it getting plastered in dog hairs and mud?
If you fancy forking out £60, you can get yourself an original (and rare) Audi A2 boot liner. No association with the seller.

the rear fabric is sewn from one side to the other
Have to disagree with you there Tom. I've been inside a set of standard seats without nets to remove lumbar-equipped backrest frames. The covers on the backrest look like they have vertical sewn seams either side, but these are actually plastic joins not unlike those on zip-lock freezer bags. The bottom edge ends in felt that is hooked underneath the seat, leaving the (sewn) top horizontal seam as a hinge.

Short of a professional retrim though, because the opening section on standard seats is a different shape to the netting inserts, I do agree you wouldn't be able to retrofit these. At least, not without changing the entire backrest seat cover (which is easiest if also still attached to the inner foam). This by definition will be in a different fabric to your existing seat base though, so you're better off just swapping out the seats for another set in the same overall colour. Lumbar mechanisms, their wiring and the side panels with the switches in your existing seats can be swapped onto net-equipped replacements.

If you fancy forking out £60, you can get yourself an original (and rare) Audi A2 boot liner. No association with the seller.

There is also a fixed (i.e. solid rather than foldable) rubber bootliner with deep sides, but due to its shape this is suitable only for cars with a false floor and without the rear CD changer option. Not sure quite how useful this would be overall, as you would have to take it out to access underneath the false floor.

Have to disagree with you there Tom. I've been inside a set of standard seats without nets to remove lumbar-equipped backrest frames. The covers on the backrest look like they have vertical sewn seams either side, but these are actually plastic joins not unlike those on zip-lock freezer bags. The bottom edge ends in felt that is hooked underneath the seat, leaving the (sewn) top horizontal seam as a hinge.

Short of a professional retrim though, because the opening section on standard seats is a slightly different shape to the netting inserts and lacks the locking tab for their top edge, I do agree you wouldn't be able to retrofit these. At least, not without changing the entire backrest seat cover (which is easiest if also still attached to the inner foam). This by definition will be in a different fabric to your existing seat base though, so you're better off just swapping out the seats for another set in the same overall colour. Lumbar mechanisms, their wiring and the side panels with the switches in your existing seats can be swapped onto net-equipped replacements.
You are absolutely correct. My description was just lazy. :)

That one looks great and I have the false floor, thank you.
Not too big a deal to take it out for access, thanks for that, any idea where I can get one?
It'll be a case of having to keep your eyes peeled on the usual second-hand markets I'm afraid. They don't turn up often, although I think one did change hands through this forum a little while ago. You could always post up a Wanted ad in the Market here to see if you can persuade another one to emerge :)

Funnily enough i still have the boot liner but don't use it. As for the foot storage box i still use that as it's a very handy option to have for the kids, shame about the colour though! I have the black storage box in my car and that goes without saying :)

Funnily enough i still have the boot liner but don't use it. As for the foot storage box i still use that as it's a very handy option to have for the kids, shame about the colour though! I have the black storage box in my car and that goes without saying :)
Black storage box....tell me more?

I have a rigid plastic tray in Jelly, on top of the false floor. It seems they split on the face against the rear door opening, so mine has been glued and taped. Only time will tell if the repair is successful.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Black storage box....tell me more?
Not for sale i'm afraid :)

The only thing i can think of to complete my setup is front bumper with washers, heated option in my leather seats and the 12v cigarette lighter option to fit in the boot. It doesn't have the Webasto whereas my wife's A2 does.

Back