New look: Lights, hood. How to?

dvdk

Guys, was thinking and playing in paintbrush ? Only small modification and what a huge differenece in overall look, much more modern and agressive in my opinion :)

Question 1: is it possible to do something like this in real life? hood is not problem for guys here, we can "add" some piece of material and paint and it will be ok, but lights will be probably the biggest problem. Does anyone have experiences with something like that? is it even possible? dont want to cover top of lights with additional hood, it will look terrible, need to fit it properly.
Question 2: is here anyone who can try do something like that in photoshop at real photo? :) can be interesting to see that

thanks
David

Hi there David ... am I being thick here, I can see two identical drawings ... is there a subtle difference between them?

Headlights,wing and bonnet. Don't think you will have much luck in building it like that. May be better to find existing headlights and work your remodel from that. Personally I think Audi got it spot on. Even today 20 years later it is not dated. What about not changing metalwork but modifying the existing headlights to full led. Just remember each country has different legal requirements and when you stray for the type certification you can get into all sorts of problems.

modification to fullled will not bring effect i want. Shape of the light is not bad, but the modified vrsion seems so much better for me. So fulled headlights will definitely bring the effect, at evening ant night totaly, but during the sunny day you will still have same headlights.
And finding existing headlight which wont be easy. it has to fit everything, or everything has to be changed in order to fit it. This modification of headlights could be maybe less workaround :) but have no experiences with that, thats why i am asking.
Maybe there is some comapny which can produce custom headlights "glass" or "shell" based on your parameters and you will fit only bulb and accesories inside :) (probably not so easy as i think)

If it doesn't seem like a controversial viewpoint, I wouldn't use the term modern. The new headlights you've drawn are more reminiscent of the slightly tautened look of the original A4 B6 compared to the contemporary facelifted later A6 C5 (which had similar aspect ratio proportions to the A2 headlamp - I've got both on my driveway). Did you see the mockup that Autocar made of a re-vamped A2 a few weeks ago - that at least has adopted genuinely 'modern' Audi graphics -

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/reinvent-wheels-designing-new-versions-old-cars

Secondly, owing to hugely complicated safety legislation, lighting units are expensive to make if legal, so getting a custom one done is probably not feasible.

Use the original headlights, but pull them slighly back into engine compartment. Extend thereafter the sidepanels and bonnet so they cover the top of the headlight.

That is basically what VW did when sharpened the front looks from Touran 1T to facelift 1T2

maybe you are right guys, it could be possible somehow, but legislation and all the neccesary steps afterwards can be huge issue.
Any headlights "eyebrows" in the market? i search google but nothing for a2. Or is there any different word in english for that?
thanks

Mattek used to have, but not sure they still exist. And messing with headlights means homologation, unless you use pre-homologated modules (like the ones from Hella). That's not a trivial or cheap undertaking.

- Bret

Hi I used to work for a car manufacturer and to productionise the changes you are talking about is a multi-million pound process. However one off exercises that you describe are a lot more practical. I agree however that the stumbling block will be legislation, both lighting and pedestrian impact.

maybe you are right guys, it could be possible somehow, but legislation and all the neccesary steps afterwards can be huge issue.
Any headlights "eyebrows" in the market? i search google but nothing for a2. Or is there any different word in english for that?
thanks

Hi David, couldn't find any eyebrows but you can buy these universal eyelashes on eBay ...

Sorry ... couldn't resist :D

Thinking about this practically for a minute. If you can get hold of a roll of 3 inch gymnasium lining tape and a scalpel, you could put a strip along the top edge of the headlight, then draw the shape that you want with a marker pen onto the tape, then use the scalpel to score the surface and peel the 'reprofiled' top edge off to see if it will work at least. From anything more than a few feet away this would give the impression of "eyebrows" - I seem to remember seeing stick-on fake carbon versions of these on TT mk1s a few years ago mimicking the shape of the newer mk2 headlights, along with some flexible LED strips trying to look like C6 A6 DRLs taped onto the top edge of the bumper under the headlight moulding and 4 inch drainpipe for the 'zorst. This was concours grade (for Dundee).

Evening David,

Have you come across these from BM Town.

I know these appeared on Steve Birchall’s ‘The Project’ over time. If you scroll through his pictures you should be able to see them fitted. Was thinking about purchasing them a few years ago myself but never got round to ordering.

These might be your best cheapest alternative less for applying tape as described above.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back