Hi guys,

I've just joined because I'm looking to own my first A2 and I've been reading this forum for a couple of months now.
It seems such a friendly place with some seriously knowledgeable people.

I'm really looking forward to owning a lightweight aluminium car that will surely be more nimble than my current daily driver.
It's an Audi A6 2.7T 250 Sport which has received a few choice upgrades over my ten year ownership.
Great on motorways but a bit of a barge on the lanes and local roads and only averages 20mpg.
It has nearly all the upgrades that A2 owners are retrofitting so I'm going to have to selective in which ones I consider essential in an A2.

An FSI Sport is what I would ideally like because it's the most powerful and guarantees the DIS.
A/C is a must.
A double din would be next on the wish list but i understand that you can modify the existing dash. No idea how the A/C controls get moved down though.

There's only a couple of things I really not keen on.
The OSS and the single rear bench.
Pale metallic green or blue are also not my favourite colours.

Thanks for reading.

One other thing. I've not driven one yet so if there are any members that are near to Maidstone and would be kind enough to let me drive their car, I would be most grateful.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 259
  • int.jpg
    int.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 266
Hello and welcome to the club.

Given that you've been reading the forum for a while, I presume you're aware of the FSI's many foibles? I wouldn't wish to discourage you from buying the machine you'd ideally like, but it's essential to buy with your eyes wide open. The FSI is unquestionably the least reliable engine available for the A2, so if outright dependability is a priority, you may wish to reconsider. If acceleration is important to you, I'd suggest the TDI90 is the fastest A2 available... though you're limited to 4400rpm rather than the FSI's 6500rpm.

I'm currently in the process of converting an A2 to double-DIN dash. Although the single-DIN dash can be modified, the result is much less elegant than swapping the entire dashboard for a factory double-DIN dash....

image.jpeg

Once the double-DIN dash is installed, an alternative climate control fascia is needed. The climate control electronics are identical; it's just the black plastic fascia that's shaped to fit in the lowest section of the centre console.
The double-DIN dash can only be fitted to cars with climate control. If you buy a car without climate control (with the old-style three rotary knobs), you're limited to single-DIN.

DIS can be retrofitted to any A2, so I wouldn't let a lack of DIS cause you to walk away from a car that's otherwise suitable.

All the best with your hunt. There are loads of people here who'll happily answer any questions you may have.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I've expanded on my reply above. I started typing on my phone and decided I needed a proper keyboard to continue! :)

Hi guys,

I've just joined because I'm looking to own my first A2 and I've been reading this forum for a couple of months now.
It seems such a friendly place with some seriously knowledgeable people.

I'm really looking forward to owning a lightweight aluminium car that will surely be more nimble than my current daily driver.
It's an Audi A6 2.7T 250 Sport which has received a few choice upgrades over my ten year ownership.
Great on motorways but a bit of a barge on the lanes and local roads and only averages 20mpg.
It has nearly all the upgrades that A2 owners are retrofitting so I'm going to have to selective in which ones I consider essential in an A2.

An FSI Sport is what I would ideally like because it's the most powerful and guarantees the DIS.
A/C is a must.
A double din would be next on the wish list but i understand that you can modify the existing dash. No idea how the A/C controls get moved down though.

There's only a couple of things I really not keen on.
The OSS and the single rear bench.
Pale metallic green or blue are also not my favourite colours.

Thanks for reading.

One other thing. I've not driven one yet so if there are any members that are near to Maidstone and would be kind enough to let me drive their car, I would be most grateful.
Welcome, curious avatar.

Lots of recent threads advising prospective A2 owners. I will look some out later if nobody has chipped in.

When Tom has put it all back together it will look like this...

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/rnse-and-double-din-dash-retrofit.27313/

Any questions just ask, somebody normally replies.

Andy

Aha - someone else with a 4B/C5 2.7 BiT. quattro. - mine's a BES 250 '03 Avant SE. Would be interested to hear about your enhancements when you've got a chance because now I've got the front suspension / bushes done and the annual mileage is minimal I'm looking at what I can do with the ECU for entertainment value - have some ideas but open to discussion.

What I would say is that while the idea of the 1.6FSi may sound attractive, everything I've seen here suggests that unless you're handy with spanners or incredibly lucky, it is prone to being a bit of a prima-donna which is why so many are out there at rock bottom prices. The 1.4i (we have both petrol & diesel 1.4s) is very smooth but only really wakes up above 3500rpm. The 1.4tdi 90 is faster than the 75 but has a dmf that can be prone to issues, which leaves the AMF/BHC-engine 1.4tdi75 that is quite a characterful engine ; tunes readily and is bomb-proof if you look after it. I get >50mpg just commuting short distances, and closer to 70 if I do a 100-120 mile journey at 60. This is my car, just as much as my BES is. Chalk and cheese - the BES is smooth and pretty fast, the BHC is fast enough for what it is, surprisingly good on a motorway and after the remap a bit of a laugh coming away from roundabouts!

As far as the double-Din is concerned - you need to look out for the DD A/C unit - there was one advertised on the parts for sale last week (link below) ; it has rounded corners at the bottom and fits where the cubby hole above the ashtray drawer would go. I should stress that I'm nothing to do with the seller.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/a2-climate-control-8z2-820-043b.37479/

Last edited:
Okay, a few points on what you've put above...
1. Not all FSI's were Sport models, and therefore didn't come with DIS.
2. Some were even more basic and didn't even come with Climate control - from your wish list, this is probably a more important item to look out for, as these units are a nightmare to convert to double-din. I won't say it can't be done, as @depronman has shown it CAN be done, but from what I understand it was a LOT of effort.
3. Swapping the dashes is pretty much a day's job for an expert (Like @timmus above)
4. I would definitely echo what others have said above regarding the fragility of the FSI engine. Lovely engine if you're lucky (my father's car is a testament to that) but if you find one that "doesn't run right, but just needs a couple of things" it's more likely to be a whole heap of pain UNLESS of course you are handy with the spanners (and probably the electrics too) and don't mind getting stuck in. I would say most FSI's are now a labour of love for the owners and in no way make economic sense. - NB I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here, as I'm selling an FSI that is "running rough", but only to stop it being broken as the rest of the car is excellent.

Here's one of the new buyer threads I mention earlier. It wanders a bit and may need scrolling to the top but probably worth reading in your position.

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/to-buy-or-not.36604/

Andy
I have no problems wielding spanners but I don't want to end up with a money pit.
It seems that there are numerous potential problems with the FSI like fuel pump, rod/linkage, flaps, actuator, injectors, etc.
I also understand that they all sound a bit rough at startup.
With any flap/linkage issues will it drive OK but just feel flat at higher revs?

will it drive OK..?

Most FSIs drive around despite their problems (such as a broken flap actuator), but keeping the engine management light off (which is a requirement for the MOT) is likely to be a constant battle. Unless you buy an FSIs that's been cherished, pampered with preventative maintenance and always run on 98RON fuel, the likelihood is that it will be a money pit.

Cheers,

Tom

... but keeping the engine management light off (which is a requirement for the MOT) is likely to be a constant battle.

There appears to be a bit of inconsistency amongst the MOT testers I have spoken to recently about this point. Some say they don't care if the EML is on, and mark it as a "minor" advisory, others say if it's on it's a fail ...

here it's really simple: even if the light is off, if there's an error recorded, it's a fail.

I expect this to become more clear in the near future, i.e. warning light = fail.

- Bret

I would argue double DIN is not worth it any more, either, unless you're doing something very special (at which point the value of double DIN is moot, anyway... )

DIS is also superseded by MiniFIS and ColorDIS. Come on over in Feb and you can see what they look like ;)

- Bret

I would argue double DIN is not worth it any more, either, unless you're doing something very special (at which point the value of double DIN is moot, anyway... )

DIS is also superseded by MiniFIS and ColorDIS. Come on over in Feb and you can see what they look like ;)

- Bret

… small steps. I'd argue DD is a very neat and OEM solution. All those you've mentioned stray a long way from OEM

I have no problems wielding spanners but I don't want to end up with a money pit.
It seems that there are numerous potential problems with the FSI like fuel pump, rod/linkage, flaps, actuator, injectors, etc.
I also understand that they all sound a bit rough at startup.
With any flap/linkage issues will it drive OK but just feel flat at higher revs?
I drove for three years with EML illuminated by flap problem and you are spot on, drove fine, just a little restrained and most likely losing a few mpg.

If you have spannering skills then about £100 to fix a flap problem, assuming the common broken actuator arm, but a fair bit of work. Many owners go further while the input manifold is stripped down, cleaning lower input manifold of carbon, that causes the flaps to stick (causing the arm to break), professionally have injectors cleaned £100 + sundries, and replace the overly dramatically named death pipe (£10) if warranted. Hours of reading on here on all this.

Unless the flap issue has been sorted previously it is almost inevitable any 15 year FSI you look at will have a flap problem. It may show as an EML BUT beware Tom keeps coming across FSI's with the EML light masked out. Pay particular attention to dash startup lights.

Yes, the FSI is odd at startup, it sounds like a diesel for the first three seconds, just the way it is and normal, something to do with oil circulation getting going.

Lastly any run of the mill A2 you look at to buy is now 15ish years old and will need money spent on it to restore to tip top condition, eg. Full service, suspension refresh, cosmetic work such as wheels refurb/paintwork/cabin cosmetics, quite a bit of money. Forgot, cambelt+ coolant pump is big factor, typically £350 to have done professionally so a big plus if it is not due and all the expense of your required double din upgrade if needed. Just playing the devil's advocate.

But you will get more than 20mpg!

Andy

I drove for three years with EML illuminated by flap problem and you are spot on, drove fine, just a little restrained and most likely losing a few mpg.

If you have spannering skills then about £100 to fix a flap problem, assuming the common broken actuator arm, but a fair bit of work. Many owners go further while the input manifold is stripped down, cleaning lower input manifold of carbon, that causes the flaps to stick (causing the arm to break), professionally have injectors cleaned £100 + sundries, and replace the overly dramatically named death pipe (£10) if warranted. Hours of reading on here on all this.

Unless the flap issue has been sorted previously it is almost inevitable any 15 year FSI you look at will have a flap problem. It may show as an EML BUT beware Tom keeps coming across FSI's with the EML light masked out. Pay particular attention to dash startup lights.

Yes, the FSI is odd at startup, it sounds like a diesel for the first three seconds, just the way it is and normal, something to do with oil circulation getting going.

Lastly any run of the mill A2 you look at to buy is now 15ish years old and will need money spent on it to restore to tip top condition, eg. Full service, suspension refresh, cosmetic work such as wheels refurb/paintwork/cabin cosmetics, quite a bit of money. Forgot, cambelt+ coolant pump is big factor, typically £350 to have done professionally so a big plus if it is not due and all the expense of your required double din upgrade if needed. Just playing the devil's advocate.

But you will get more than 20mpg!

Andy

Your experience would be acceptable to me.
I'm quite happy to change the usual timing belt and and remove the inlet, etc as long as I don't have to do it immediately.
That would still be a reliable car to me. Unreliable to me is a failure that prevents me from driving it.

The prices you mention seem reasonable compared to my A6.
I recently had to replace the turbos which is an engine out job so it mad sense to change as much as possible.
I ended up replacing the dual mass flywheel, clutch, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, engine and gearbox mounts.
It cost a fair bit but on the plus side, I expanded my tool collection!

Back