New "Road User Hierarchy" in next year's revised Highway Code

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I just read that there are changes to the Highway Code coming next year - including a new Road User Hierarchy where pedestrians have the highest priority and lorries the lowest. A summary here and the official revised Highway Code here with the changes highlighted. A search shows the haulage industry is not keen on the changes.

When reading these links (and others) I saw the reference to parallel crossings and wondered what they were (drivers have to give way to cyclists on parallel crossings). An explanation with a video here.

From the first summary it sounds reasonable, as a driver, cyclist and pedestrian. When driving I'm conscious that I'm in control of a ton of steel - well aluminium :) pedestrians and cyclists are vulnerable.

I just read that there are changes to the Highway Code coming next year - including a new Road User Hierarchy where pedestrians have the highest priority and lorries the lowest. A summary here and the official revised Highway Code here with the changes highlighted. A search shows the haulage industry is not keen on the changes.

When reading these links (and others) I saw the reference to parallel crossings and wondered what they were (drivers have to give way to cyclists on parallel crossings). An explanation with a video here.
Hi Alan ... It's about time too and great to hear ... most experienced club cyclists will know that riding in the middle of the lane leaves little doubt to your intentions ... it's psychology I suppose and shows the approaching vehicle that you are aware of your surroundings but hugging the kerb is almost an invite for a close or dangerous pass.

Quote: “Parallel Crossings are a key part of our efforts to grow cycling in Essex."

So it does not look like it is motivated by safety...

... and you know this is true with the growth of e-scooters which are dangerous on roads and pavements (and would be even if there were no cars or lorries). Check the death/injury count so far.

Just saying.

How are you all getting on with this as a motorist? I find if I stop at a junction pedestrians will not cross, only one has.
As a pedestrian the majority of car drivers will attempt to drive over you if you are already crossing at a junction. Very few will stop if you are waiting.

How are you all getting on with this as a motorist? I find if I stop at a junction pedestrians will not cross, only one has.
As a pedestrian the majority of car drivers will attempt to drive over you if you are already crossing at a junction. Very few will stop if you are waiting.

Only taken out 2 pedestrians and one cyclist so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half half in terms of pedestrian reactions to my stopping or obviously slowing to give them plenty of time to cross.

As ever with the Highway Code, it comes down to having awareness and applying common sense to keep things moving.

I really don’t know why there aren’t more TV and radio ads to educate drivers on the commonly misunderstood HWC rules that could cause road rage or accidents when not observed (keeping left unless overtaking, using all available road and then merging in turn at lane closures etc. etc.)

I dose not work in the slightest!

Poland tried this, it did not work!

Smart motorways are not safe in my opinion! The radio ad is pathetic, in that how does a broken down car exit at the next junction or find a non existant refuge point IT DOES NOT WORK!

Clearly idiots are running the show and those behind the wheel cannot even follow simple rules like turning their headlights off when facing the wrong way onto oncoming traffic!

All these new rules do is generate confusion and make the roads more dangerous!

I dose not work in the slightest!

Poland tried this, it did not work!

Smart motorways are not safe in my opinion! The radio ad is pathetic, in that how does a broken down car exit at the next junction or find a non existant refuge point IT DOES NOT WORK!

Clearly idiots are running the show and those behind the wheel cannot even follow simple rules like turning their headlights off when facing the wrong way onto oncoming traffic!

All these new rules do is generate confusion and make the roads more dangerous!
Breathe....

I don't think there's a requirement to stop and give way to pedestrians, it is rather that drivers should be aware and consider giving way, where appropriate. That gives discretion, but puts the onus on the driver to be aware of pedestrians and be mindful of them, which is as it should be. But you need to keep the road conditions in mind - no point stopping to let a pedestrian cross if that will put them in the path of a speeding lorry coming the other way, for example! So it's more about rebalancing the risks and responsibilities and putting the onus on drivers to be more aware and more thoughtful. Not before time, IMHO.

I don't think there's a requirement to stop and give way to pedestrians, it is rather that drivers should be aware and consider giving way, where appropriate. That gives discretion, but puts the onus on the driver to be aware of pedestrians and be mindful of them, which is as it should be. But you need to keep the road conditions in mind - no point stopping to let a pedestrian cross if that will put them in the path of a speeding lorry coming the other way, for example! So it's more about rebalancing the risks and responsibilities and putting the onus on drivers to be more aware and more thoughtful. Not before time, IMHO.
The Highway Code actually does say that a driver SHOULD stop to allow a pedestrian waiting to cross at a junction to do so. This is fine in many situations but, if the pedestrian is waiting to cross the junction where a residential street meets a busy main road, I can foresee problems if a driver on the busy road stops to allow the pedestrian to cross without giving the requisite hand signal to alert following traffic to their intention.

Yes, it's that difference between 'should' and 'must' which is critical here, though. 'Should' means that you should give way if you judge that you can safely and reasonably do so. That means being aware of the other circumstances, such as the likelihood of being rear-ended, or the risk to the pedestrian from other traffic if they do what you're letting them do. If it said 'must' then you'd have no choice and a failure to give way would be breaking the law.

I think it's a good rule, because it hopefully makes drivers think more about their surroundings.

In all countries, it works the same ; biggest stuff goes where it wants (or can) followed by progressively smaller things, until you get down to the cyclists & pedestrians ; doesn't matter what any Gov't guidelines (or rules) are, because nobody, knows them & they can't be bothered to read anything new.

Worst offenders chez nous are the farmers with their new, subsidised €200K+ tractors that can do 80km/h, & boy do they want you to know it !!!

My A2 ranks as one level above a pushbike & easily goes invisible when in between all the 'fat' Mercs, BMW & other such bloated machinery !!

Back