New to the A2

Rettopian

Hi. After a few years admiring the A2 I took the plunge and bought one just before Christmas. It’s a Black, one owner 1.4petrol with Red interior and 105k miles on the clock. Everything seems to work except the screen washers. I can hear a pump working - but no water. And yes I have checked the reservoir.

Today, having acquired a set of 16’’ wheels that I had refurbed and a brand new set of Khumo tyres I swapped out the 17’’ QT(?) wheels and the car is notably quieter and more compliant - if a bit less ‘visually spectacular’ and a bit more Bauhaus. Far more relaxing to drive.

in taking it for a service including cam belt and water pump change on Friday- it’s on a long life service schedule and the oil looks worse than in my diesel! The colour of molasses. More frequent changes will be the new way forward I think!

Looking forward to learning more about these fine little cars as the months go by.

Cheers.

Welcome aboard :) Good to see another one hopefully saved for the long-term, your engine will certainly appreciate regular oil-changes. I'm sure the long-life maintenance schedule must really have been intended for minimum-wear motorway mile-munching customers, it doesn't seem to sit right with more average usage patterns to me.

Sadly the 17" wheels for A2's don't help ride comfort and aren't very sturdy. Ask any owner with the RS4-style 9-spokes which were the standard 17" issue with the Sport trim. QT wheels don't fare much better. These had a chrome ring round the outside of the rim which can't easily be refurbed once scuffed, with fake boltheads to look like split-rims. They are quite rare.

Welcome: I love the 1.4's. Really light over the front end and drive very sweetly indeed. Black over red as well ?

You'll find all the tech help on here you'd ever need. You're right: plenty of oil changes are the key. If looked after, that 1.4 is a gem and I think has the nicest gearbox of them all.

Welcome: I love the 1.4's. Really light over the front end and drive very sweetly indeed. Black over red as well ?

You'll find all the tech help on here you'd ever need. You're right: plenty of oil changes are the key. If looked after, that 1.4 is a gem and I think has the nicest gearbox of them all.
Thanks! I have to say the gearbox is really slick. Smooth engine and great refinement. I’m impressed already! My wife is already contemplating a post lock down trip to Cologne in Albert....

Welcome aboard :) Good to see another one hopefully saved for the long-term, your engine will certainly appreciate regular oil-changes. I'm sure the long-life maintenance schedule must really have been intended for minimum-wear motorway mile-munching customers, it doesn't seem to sit right with more average usage patterns to me.

Sadly the 17" wheels for A2's don't help ride comfort and aren't very sturdy. Ask any owner with the RS4-style 9-spokes which were the standard 17" issue with the Sport trim. QT wheels don't fare much better. These had a chrome ring round the outside of the rim which can't easily be refurbed once scuffed, with fake boltheads to look like split-rims. They are quite rare.
Thanks. I have to say the ones I took off it have the Chrime ring and seem to be in great condition. Just a bit ‘max power’ for me. I’m old!

Thanks. I have to say the ones I took off it have the Chrime ring and seem to be in great condition. Just a bit ‘max power’ for me. I’m old!
They wouldn't be my cup of tea either but they do have a value due to their rarity ?

QT's were an option offered at new purchase and not many were sold. I've seen only a handful of sets come up for sale or cars selling with them on, in more than two years immersed in the world of A2's.
The front wings are indeed plastic, as are the rear wheel arches and tailgate number plate panel.

Back