New tyre guidance please

bio10155

Hi folks - Happy New Year to you all!

I need some advise on 4 brand new tyres I wish to change this week. I'm only after mid-range for commuting so I'm not prepared to go all out on higher priced make. Currently I have Marshal Mtrac MH11's (on OEM SE 16" rims) and I like the fuel consumption (no so much grip). Been with these make for quite a while now ( 2x Audi A2 TDIs) and I would like to change to something a bit more grippy, but without impacting on fuel consumption. I'm looking at the Rotalla RH01 which the EU rating is the same as the current Marshal brand.

My question is would anyone recommend that I go for 195/50/16 or stick with the same 185/50/16 profile? Any advantages/disadvantages of changing?

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

I did have a look on that thread prior to replying - just that I'm not sure on what negative impacts (if any) I will have by changing to wider profiles. Cheers anyway for replying.

Wider tyres equals more noise and less mpg generally, but it depends on what make of tyre. I'd have thought going from 185/50 to 195/50 would have little impact other than a bit more comfort due to the slightly taller side wall.

On my Fsi SE with stand SE rims. I have Energy Michelin Saver Plus 185/55/16
That size is a bit cheaper and a better choice
Have no trouble with rubbing
And better over the potholes

On my Fsi SE with stand SE rims. I have Energy Michelin Saver Plus 185/55/16
That size is a bit cheaper and a better choice
Have no trouble with rubbing
And better over the potholes
That's probably a better choice than 195/50/16, narrow tyre for economy, but higher side wall for comfort.

Thanks for your input so far guys! Ah yes I never thought about increasing the profile to 55. I've just checked that Rotalla do a 55 profile. with the 185 setup. I might jsut go with that and try out these new make!

Notice you have a Tdi
Just a note of caution mine is a lighter engine Fsi
Not tried them on my Tdi 90 yet

Hey guys - Just to let you know I've decided and purchased the Rotalla 185/55 16 now. Many thanks for your participating feedback :)

Sorry not to have seen this thread sooner. Can't comment on your brand choice, but you could easily have run 195/55 R16 tyres and paid even less, as it's a more common size. I run this size on Tank and have no rubbing despite it being a lowered diesel. I'd have gone for something like a Uniroyal Rainsport which is a far grippier tyre and a brand I trust - the 4 patches of rubber are all that keep you on the road, so you owe it to yourself and especially your passengers to fit reliable and safe tyres.

Last edited:
I am planning on 205/55 R16. Mike tested them out on his same alloys and it seemed to work.

I’ve gone from 215/40 back to 185/50 r16 and I have to say the difference in road noise is very noticeable and so is the grip. That said, the 215s were continentals but quite worn and cracked and the 185s were budget tyres but new. I think 195-205 middle of the range would give the best of both worlds on a budget tyre - medium grip and resistance.

If you were going skinny I’d go for a bit more premium with the reduced contact area.

I think the Rotallas were well reviewed when I was looking so good shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys - Just to let you know I've decided and purchased the Rotalla 185/55 16 now. Many thanks for your participating feedback :)

Great choice Rotalla, I had these on my previous TT rims (now sold)!
Perfect for the A2, especially an Essex one lol

I suppose each can vouch something different (and magazine/trade reviews can never be trusted because you don't know who is in who's pocket), but when a car tyre costs less than one I'd put on my bicycle, alarm bells start ringing.

It seems that Rotalla tyres are Canadian on the surface, but dig a little deeper (like looking at the bottom of the Rotalla website) and you'll se that Rotalla is a trading name for Rakla Tire Inc, who are a Canadian importer for the Chinese Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company, who proudly state that "tires are sold by the container loads" [sic].

Now I know that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Chinese made goods, but when the company is only 30 years old and they say "all claims are handled promptly and highly prioritised" in the second paragraph below, they must be quite used to handling complaints.

Buy cheap, buy twice. In the event of something going wrong with cheap tyres, you may not survive to buy again.

http://www.rakla.com/ABOUT US.html

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1646195

https://www.ctvnews.ca/tires-recalled-in-u-s-still-sold-in-canada-1.246732

Hey Skip! Nice to hear from you. Thanks for your input, I might reconsider IF in your opinion fuel consumption will not be affected i.e. negatively - as I need to have best of both worlds grip and save fuel (budget-wise anyway). Have you tested stock vs. running wider profile tyres at all?

To be fair, I had no problems with my Rotallas in dry or pouring rain, amazingly quiet too at 69db!
Cheers Jeff

Ha! Jeffers! How are you my old friend! You might not remember me - I met you at the Audi (Rayleigh Weir) dealership some years ago! I hope all is well? Thanks for you input as well... Okay - there's the update - I've acually cancelled the order now. I just a few more opinions to what I should get based on my requirements.

Here's the criteria - mid-budget (up to £60-65 per side inc of fitting). Needs to be at least C rating for grip and most importantly (C) for fuel or better.

I would like to try out 195/55 16 but I don't want it to impact on fuel. I've had a look at the Kumho Ecsta HM KH31 at this profile. Anyone care to chime in with more thoughts?

Cheers Tim.

Aforementioned Uniroyal Rainsport3 - C for fuel efficiency and A for wet grip and around £55 delivered, so I'm sure you can get them fitted locally for just over £60 in the end.

Failing that, Toyo Proxes CF2 in a 185/55 size are £53 delivered.

I'd consider something around the £75 mark as a middle of the range tyre now and if you can stretch to that (which let's face it, is around an extra 10p per hundred miles over the life of the tyre), then you can get something really decent like a Continental EcoContact 5 (B & B).

Okay I'll look into them in more detail. I would love to put better rubbers on her - I really would, but I also have an M5 to look after as well... so I have to compromise somewhere :)

Back