Newbie - what does this unlabelled rocker switch do please?

Geecee

+Vm%RoOERoiJvHSOr5jU9w.jpg

Not standard fit. Is it on/off or does it spring back? Do you see any other sockets or wiring? Does everything else work correctly from its control switch, i.e. horn, 12v power socket etc.

I thought I'd start here with the investigation! I'll have a check tomorrow. It's on off, not rocker.

Perhaps it cuts the power to the 12v socket as that is permanently live. Or some form of engine kill switch.

I agree a very tidy mod however it’s at odds for me as the switch itself has no resemblance to the rest of the interior switch gear.

If it does indeed control something that’s useful, I’d have to change the switch to an OEM one, if not then get rid, I’d rather have a blank. I have seen (in a previous life) the max power brigade use them for switching subwoofers on and off.

Hi Geecee,

Forgot to say welcome, we are not this silly normally.

Any questions however simple just ask.

Andy

Yes, apologies for the hysteria.

Welcome to the forum, it’s a great place for knowledge and understanding, indeed info on the forum has helped me fix things on my A2, that I’d never have dared try (my lack of actual mechanical experience) before and with lots of success.

And the winner is....nothing. No wires underneath....nothing.

Many thanks for your friendly welcome. New owner of a 2002 1.4 TDI with 170,000 miles and unusually luxurious black leather seats. Its main purpose is to get my 17 year old through his test on a manual gearbox that I doubt he'll ever experience afterwards. It also satisfies my long held admiration for these neat little cars. A lovely design concept beautifully executed. I have a BMW i3 and the similarities inside and out are many. I have loads and loads of questions, but will enjoy reading through the sites archives rather than just blurb them out.

Many thanks everyone!

Gav

Zy8GYNJERVaVkCjRs1q5bg.jpg

Welcome properly we all love pictures therefore it would be great if you can add some (should you wish).

Manuals are indeed a dying breed, however I bet you’ll keep it (post 17 year old passing), they’re addictive!

He it is. Cosmetically OK but with a sloppy drive train as you might expect from an 18 year old, 170k car. Doesn't smoke, no pops or wheezes, just a bit loosey goosey. Think it probably got shunted in the rear at some point as the paintwork looks and feels rough on the bumper and lower hatch sill. Inside it is bog standard apart from these crazy leather seats. Despite me telling him that it would be impossible, he managed to stall it today.

According to the receipts it had early engine problems (misfitted timing belt?), angle sensor? But now runs really very nicely. Needs a service which looks easy and cheap to do (any preferred online recommendation for a service kit?). One of the cup holders was cracked, replacement on its way. The right hand cup holder is too close to the wheel isn't it? I need a spare wheel....I will ask the chap Steve (?), the breaker guy for one or look for one locally.

Top prize offered for the best registration plate anagram you can come up with.

Cost me £1100 for a bit of history, German design excellence, and a good story for my son to share in the future.

Audi.jpeg

Looks good, I like the SE wheels as thats what I have however they look surprisingly good in gunmetal grey especially on a black car.

@A2Steve is one of the parts guys if not the main one, Steve will no doubt tell you a space Saver is a bit expensive to get hold of however a standard 16” wheel will be quite cheap (few on eBay etc).

Does you kid find it strange driving around in a car older then he/she is?

Get yourself signed up to the market place (£2) and you see various parts etc. No doubt you be wanting the replacement blank for that switch of yours.

Signed up for the marketplace.

He was surprised when I told him how old it was, but TBH he is a bit of a design and tech geek too, so he bought into the idea straight away. We had been through the mini/corsa/fiesta list and he was ambivalent, while this was immediately something different and he got the concept straight away. Its a very modern looking car...next to the i3 you'd think they were the same vintage. With a private plate you'd have no idea how old it was.

Generally he (and his pals) have much less of an urge to drive than when I was a kid in the 80s. Don't know why.

Tell him he is in an aluminium super car. One that paved the way for the current aluminium super cars.

Signed up for the marketplace.

He was surprised when I told him how old it was, but TBH he is a bit of a design and tech geek too, so he bought into the idea straight away. We had been through the mini/corsa/fiesta list and he was ambivalent, while this was immediately something different and he got the concept straight away. Its a very modern looking car...next to the i3 you'd think they were the same vintage. With a private plate you'd have no idea how old it was.

Generally he (and his pals) have much less of an urge to drive than when I was a kid in the 80s. Don't know why.
Private plate with no age identification, I agree. My car is 16 years old and with very low mileage it doesn’t look it’s years so much so someone asked me about it thinking it was 5 years old. That’s a fantastic compliment.

I was desperate to drive when I was 17, these days kids would rather have the latest iPhone, plus seem to be quite happy for parents to ferry them about. The world has indeed changed.

Two questiIons please.
Firstly what is the ASR switch is ?
And secondly the cover has fallen off the button below the fuel cap release.

Cheers,

Steve B

Back