Newbie with 2005 BHC

Hi all,

just bought my first A2 after many years of admiring them and of pursuing my other car obsessions instead.

It’s a 2005 BHC in Cobalt with 49k miles. Cosmetically it’s imperfect (shame - mainly bumpers and wheel arches) and I’m finding a ton of mechanical and other jobs to do.

So far:

- Put some Cross Climates on but wish I’d gone for 185s now
- Cv boots had been deteriorated for several MOTs and badly split, so replaced those with GKNs and did the wheel bearings at the same time.
- New wheel cylinders & handbrake cable on the back.
- Renewed the gearbox oil - pretty clean though
- BG245 fuel system flush
- Tinkered around with engine vibration/chaffing issues (not to much avail yet) but spotted the broken bottom intercooler bracket and the ascending plastic hose rubbing on the side of the sump; trimmed the engine cover where it was rubbing on the front bracket and the Egr/shudder valve housing; tightened the top hose bracket
- Retrofitted cruise but haven’t managed to complete the wiring to the fuse board coz I don’t have a pin removal tool and can’t release the pink locking plate either.
- New rear shocks and spring pads - standard Sachs for now
- Regassed the air con - works fine :)
- Philips Ultinon LED headlight bulbs

Jobs still to do:

- Investigate horrible metallic grating noise when driving at low revs in 5th (and 4th to a lesser extent) - managed to find a left gearbox mount in Latvia (now obsolete and all aftermarket brands out of stock everywhere) and got a Fabia dogbone mount arriving for the bottom. No luck with the hydro bush but that’s probably fine. Want to try the mounts before considering the gearbox may be shot, but it works very well in all other situations.
- Source various body panels in Cobalt (anyone?)
- MOP and Shelby coating
- refurb wheels
- heater control panel buttons
- finish my interior shampoo & proof

Probably lots of other small things!

Anyway, good to join the club, it looks like an excellent source of info ??

Welcome to A2 ownership, sounds like you're getting on well with repair and upgrade works. What's the pin locking plate you're trying to remove? There's no need to connect to the fusebox for cruise(well, I've yet to connect to the fusebox for cruise).

Welcome to A2 ownership, sounds like you're getting on well with repair and upgrade works. What's the pin locking plate you're trying to remove? There's no need to connect to the fusebox for cruise(well, I've yet to connect to the fusebox for cruise).
Thanks :) yes the Kufatec kit (with rocker switch) has a power feed that goes to fuse 31

You will probably find that fuse location 31 is completely unpopulated. The other type of stalk does not need a separate power supply.

You will probably find that fuse location 31 is completely unpopulated. The other type of stalk does not need a separate power supply.
Ok thanks. There is something already in 31 and Kufatec supply a T-connector which requires the pin to be removed

Have a read of this thread ( in particular the link ) as this may be what will partially answer your question...

I simply draw to your attention what Tom(Timmus) said last year about many aftermarket cruise control looms.

If you still wish to continue with the Kufatec loom I possibly can assist in releasing the pink locking plate in the fuse box
and further of course you will need to buy a good pin extractor tool.

Andy

Back