NEWBY NEEDS HELP 1.4TDI a2

can anyone help with the following problem, all was going well until Friday morning takes a few seconds longer to start, alls well midday friday cuts out while driving, 3 mins cranking to start, friday afternoon cuts out again, 3 mins cranking to start, drive home 10 miles, now at home 3 mins cranking to start runs for 15 secs then cuts out, this happens all the time now any one any suggestions, fuel starve or sensor? cheers in advance

Hi.

I had a problem whereby my A2 TDi would drive normally under moderate acceleration, but would just die under heavy acceleration. It turns out that the diesel filter was full of sludge and muck. I changed that and it was a lot smoother and more responsive. I am wondering if all this supermarket fuel I use is the cause. How often do you get the last few dregs at the bottom of the tank with all the dirt and water in? Got a feeling it needs changing again and I only did it last year. :(

Anyway, that's the first place I would look before sensors. Easier and cheaper to change.

HTH.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Lee s
ive been under the car ive checked in front of the offside rear wheel and i think ive located the fuel filter. A small metal cylinder with an electrical plug going in, is this for pre heating or am i in the wrong place, anyone changed this ? Cheers

Hi Lee s
ive been under the car ive checked in front of the offside rear wheel and i think ive located the fuel filter. A small metal cylinder with an electrical plug going in, is this for pre heating or am i in the wrong place, anyone changed this ? Cheers

The attached file shows the fuel filter assembly on early model cars. The 'forward of the passenger side back wheel' location sounds right but for access you need to remove some of the dimpled heat shield panels. The second link covers changing both the late and early filters
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1780&d=1217885467
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6425&highlight=fuel+filter+change

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I had this problem. My fuel filter drain has a crack in the screw in cap so was drawing in air, therefore not firing.

The filter replacement is about £30-35 in parts terms I think?

Back