No new Borgwarner TDI90 turbo's in the Country???

TAABVW

A2OC Donor
I have posted here before about my bad experience trying to get a TDI90 turbo refurbed. To recap, in short, it seemed the refurb company couldn't accurately set the stop screw. This resulted in no boost below 2100 revs and then a great surge above 2100 revs. I gave them three attempts and ruled out other causes by fitting known good turbo to same car.

I have tried to source a new turbo over the last few weeks and it appears there are non in the country. Every turbo company has them on back order for delivery earliest March 2023.

So to my question:

firstly, does anyone know where I can source a new TDI90 turbo?

Secondly, can anyone report a really great experience with a refurb where they had really good low rev boost?

My poor experience was with Midland Turbo though to be fair to them they did fully refund. I am going to call Turbo Technics as I have read good things here about them. Any other advice, experience or stories gratefully received.

Trevor

Yes that is what I'm after but I'd wager when I message them for delivery they won't have one on the shelf...even at that insane price.

Trevor

Yes that is what I'm after but I'd wager when I message them for delivery they won't have one on the shelf...even at that insane price.

Sadly, it's the law of supply and demand. I'm guessing they have one.

I had to wait nearly two years before I could get my hands on new front B6 shocks at any sort of sensible price due to fitful production post Covid-19. It's the nature of the world we live in now.

I had a refurb on my turbo 90, refit new parts to the insides. Alls well, drives superb, garage didn't say where they sent it though. Been strong a year, was £380 for refurb i remember. Bristol area garage. If casing is okay it can be done. Appreciate you might want brand new but may never appear!

A2-freun.de do have an English language section for forrinerz to ask forrin questions....

Google translate also does a very good job.

If, if , if...

Google translate is your friend. Refurbed. 2yr warranty.
Just putting the part number into German google throws a lot of possibilities up. E.g.

Now, I'm travelling with a car on 13th of December to the UK.

I got mine done by TDI Turbos, I wanted a bit more lower down torque, they did this with a billet inlet turbine and I’m very happy with the result. The long lead item wears the VNT which they had to import.

You could also ask WOM if you haven’t done already, they’ll be doing more 90 turbos than most.

The FB group 3PD Vs the World have a lot of info on using alternative turbos which involve a bit of cutting and welding on a 130/150 manifold. That gives a common flange to which you can bolt a wide range of standard, readily available turbos.

Thanks Rickmeister. The link is for a 75 and not a 90, but they do also have a refurb ATL turbo which would be similar money to UK refurb. I've sent the old turbo to turbo technics to see if they can do a good refurb job. Still on lookout for a new one though as I have 4 ATL's and I'll need another new turbo one day soon.

I have relations in Switzerland who I have asked to see if they can source a new one in EU and at what cost.

Trevor

I got mine done by TDI Turbos, I wanted a bit more lower down torque, they did this with a billet inlet turbine and I’m very happy with the result. The long lead item wears the VNT which they had to import.

You could also ask WOM if you haven’t done already, they’ll be doing more 90 turbos than most.

The FB group 3PD Vs the World have a lot of info on using alternative turbos which involve a bit of cutting and welding on a 130/150 manifold. That gives a common flange to which you can bolt a wide range of standard, readily available turbos.
I've looked at the 3PD site and investigated using 4 pot turbo's but I don't think its as easy as some suggest. I certainly haven't found any clear explanation of what I would need. Maybe I just can't use FB, I'm not a fan. For example the GT1749V from a mark4 golf TDI130: Whilst the manifold would fit on the engine and downpipe, the EGR is in completely the wrong position and orientation and could foul the oil feed pipe, the intake air tube and boost pipe would not fit. I'm not suggesting these problems can't be overcome, but I can't find anywhere that tells me what other adaptions I might need to succeed. Also not sure if it would need mapping.

Trevor

Back