Not Quite the Lakes Weekend Social - 2 - 4 June

Added to Calendar: 02-06-23, 03-06-23, 04-06-23

RSVP  Print

Event start date: Friday 2023-06-02
Event end date: Sunday 2023-06-04
Registration ends: Sunday 2023-05-28
# Username Guest count Note
1 timmus timmus 2 Jessica will also attend.
I’ve booked my own bed in my own bedroom in my own house. :-)
2 Dave M Dave M 2  
3 murdo murdo 1 I'm a maybe for now until I negotiate with the boss. Edit - Hotel booked I'm in.
4 Teresa Teresa 2 Me and Gary
5 N NLS14M 1  
6 jp.oog jp.oog 2 Sunday only for us.
7 Sheila Sheila 2 Ron and I are booked in at The Royal Hotel Bolton-Le-Sands. Excited!
8 phil pk phil pk 2 Joining in on the Sunday, meeting up at Lancaster services.
9 Virginiacg Virginiacg 2 2 of us definitely for Saturday amd Sunday, will confirm Friday later
10 trevorswaine trevorswaine 2 Provisionally yes for the Saturday
11 S Stan H 4 Saturday only, my wife Paula, the twins Theo & Darcey & myself. Most likely in the A4 unless we get fair winds & weather for a while and I can get the A2 roadworthy, MOT'd.
12 Rich. Rich. 1  
13 RZX RZX 2 I thought I had better put my name down
14 Cenick Cenick 1  
15 M Mr Pip 2 Do we have a map for the location, coming from Redcar by the sea? And an inventory of what and where? Thanks
16 ICowie ICowie 1 I will be attending on the Saturday and Sunday

Teresa

Social Secretary
European-Union
Join us for the full weekend, or just a day. A huge thanks to Mandy ( @RZX ) for putting together what looks to be a brilliant timetable for our weekend in the North West.

Friday 2 June afternoon , a local drive to Silverdale and Arnside to get a flavour of what Morecombe Bay has to offer. Then a evening pub meal, depending on numbers, if only 6-10 people Mandy & Martin have very kindly offered to host a buffet/BBQ at theirhouse.

Saturday 3 June being the main day, morning to Lakeland Motor Museum, If we have 10 cars, we qualify for a 10% discount on entrance fees. There is a cafe here for lunch requirements. From here there would be a drive around Lake Coniston, with options for photo shoots depending on how many cars are in the convoy, as you can imagine The Lakes can get busy, although Coniston is usually less frenetic than Windermere. The evening will be a meal, at the Bistro at Pine Lakes. The menus are attached and we do need to pre order (you can let us know your menu choices via this MS Form )

Sunday 4 June We are aware some people we want to head home, but we could have a drive to either Kirby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge and Ruskin's View, nice small market town) or Grange over Sands, nice Victorian promenade overlooking Morecombe Bay, or Sunderland Point, this is tide dependent (very near Timmus) . If people want a longer drive, Ingleton for the falls and Ribblehead viaduct, this does get very busy on a Sunday, the Trough of Bowland is delightful, followed by a light lunch before people head home,

If anyone is staying Sunday night as well we can arrange a breakfast meet or another ride out somewhere, especially if anyone is going to Timmus for work

Suggested Hotels/B&B's These are all local, but there are the usual big chains in Lancaster

Within 2 miles of Carnforth
The County Hotel (part of the Provincial Hotel Group) www.provincialhotels.com
The Royal Railway Hotel (no car park, recently refurbished) www.royalstation.co.uk
The George Washington Pub, Warton, Carnforth. www.georgewashingtonwarton.co.uk
The Royal Bolton Le Sands. www.royalhotelboltonlesands.co.uk
Longlands Hotel, rooms as well as whole cottages. www.longlandshotel.co.uk
The Gateway B&B. www.the gatewayhestbank.co.uk
Pine Lakes Resorts, on site leisure centre, part of the Diamond Resort Group. www.pinelakeresort.co.uk

The Silverdale Hotel is nice but approximately 5 miles away, this is one of the possibilities for Friday evening meal. www.thesilverdalehotel.co.uk

If you would like to join us please RSVP above and book your hotel as they can sell out fairly quickly in this area. We will collect preferences for meals, visiting the Motor Museum etc closer to the time.

Attachments

• Desserts 2022.pdf
    895.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 137060_Lakes Bistro_Menu_WEB.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
A tentative yes from me and would be a solo run. Will confirm soon . Sounds lovely though. Complements and gratitude for the planning involved. Edit : defo In. Royal Hotel booked.

Last edited:
For those wishing to camp I can recommend Red Bank Farm Bolton le Sands with Archers cafe on site or Gibraltar Farm Silverdale, both have lovely views of Morecambe bay.
I can get a discount at Pine Lake Resort if 4 or more rooms/lodges are booked for 3 nights.

Attached some local scenes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_165050~2.jpg
    IMG_20200606_165050~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • FB_IMG_1633318376237.jpg
    FB_IMG_1633318376237.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 114
  • FB_IMG_1624928388805.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624928388805.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20220119_124804.jpg
    IMG_20220119_124804.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20221207_123010.jpg
    20221207_123010.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20190621_142326.jpg
    IMG_20190621_142326.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20191225_121101.jpg
    IMG_20191225_121101.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 101
Well we are here at Arnside with our " family heirloom " A2, 1966 Beetle, 1972 VW Type 3 1600 Variant Auto, A6 Black Edition Diesel Quattro and 2017 / 2018 RS6 Avant we bought in October. No idea what we will be doing June 2nd to 4th though !

Not looked at this thread properly yet but The Highwayman at Burrow near Kirkby Lonsdale has a large Car Park and great food, if that`s what you are looking for.

Steve U

Last edited:
Out of interest, or maybe not ! we have been approached by some magazine called "Octane " ( we had never heard of it ) to use our 1966 Beetle in a Photo Shoot for an article. They asked Lakeland Historic Car Club if any Club Members had a Beetle. We are the only LHCC VW owning Members, so they contacted us. Seems they do a Themed Road Trip thing. They came up with a tale that Alfred Wainwright never walked his entire Coast to Coast Walk. His Wife drove him across in her Beetle. No idea if that is true or not. They are supposed to be sending a Route for my approval. Wait for the right weather then I`ll do the drive while they take the Photos and write the article.

Steve U

A popular meeting place for Car Clubs is The Villa at Levens. It is a Hotel with a lot of Parking. Just off the A590. Straight there from M6 Junction 36.

Steve U

A popular meeting place for Car Clubs is The Villa at Levens. It is a Hotel with a lot of Parking. Just off the A590. Straight there from M6 Junction 36.

Steve U
Hi Steve

Thank you, all suggestions welcome, I will look in to it, although rooms are on the pricey side IMHO.

Join us for the full weekend, or just a day. A huge thanks to Mandy ( @RZX ) for putting together what looks to be a brilliant timetable for our weekend in the North West.

Friday 2 June afternoon , a local drive to Silverdale and Arnside to get a flavour of what Morecombe Bay has to offer. Then a evening pub meal, depending on numbers, if only 6-10 people Mandy & Martin have very kindly offered to host a buffet/BBQ at theirhouse.

Saturday 3 June being the main day, morning to Lakeland Motor Museum, If we have 10 cars, we qualify for a 10% discount on entrance fees. There is a cafe here for lunch requirements. From here there would be a drive around Lake Coniston, with options for photo shoots depending on how many cars are in the convoy, as you can imagine The Lakes can get busy, although Coniston is usually less frenetic than Windermere. The evening will be a meal, there are a few options locally including Longlands Hotel, Cross Keys (chef and Brewer), The Royal at Bolton Le Sands.

Sunday 4 June We are aware some people we want to head home, but we could have a drive to either Kirby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge and Ruskin's View, nice small market town) or Grange over Sands, nice Victorian promenade overlooking Morecombe Bay, or Sunderland Point, this is tide dependent (very near Timmus) . If people want a longer drive, Ingleton for the falls and Ribblehead viaduct, this does get very busy on a Sunday, the Trough of Bowland is delightful, followed by a light lunch before people head home,

If anyone is staying Sunday night as well we can arrange a breakfast meet or another ride out somewhere, especially if anyone is going to Timmus for work

Suggested Hotels/B&B's These are all local, but there are the usual big chains in Lancaster

Within 2 miles of Carnforth
The County Hotel (part of the Provincial Hotel Group) www.provincialhotels.com
The Royal Railway Hotel (no car park, recently refurbished) www.royalstation.co.uk
The George Washington Pub, Warton, Carnforth. www.georgewashingtonwarton.co.uk
The Royal Bolton Le Sands. www.royalhotelboltonlesands.co.uk
Longlands Hotel, rooms as well as whole cottages. www.longlandshotel.co.uk
The Gateway B&B. www.the gatewayhestbank.co.uk
Pine Lakes Resorts, on site leisure centre, part of the Diamond Resort Group. www.pinelakeresort.co.uk

The Silverdale Hotel is nice but approximately 5 miles away, this is one of the possibilities for Friday evening meal. www.thesilverdalehotel.co.uk

If you would like to join us please RSVP above and book your hotel as they can sell out fairly quickly in this area. We will collect preferences for meals, visiting the Motor Museum etc closer to the time.
Hi Teresa, Mandy.
Will my A2 be ready for the road by then?
It would be great to meet up with you, put faces to names and see your wonderful vehicles, for the Saturday at least.
If you don't mind a 52 plate Audi A4 tagging along if The Little Atom is not finished by then plus 15 year twins and my good lady wife Paula.
Stan.

Hi Teresa, Mandy.
Will my A2 be ready for the road by then?
It would be great to meet up with you, put faces to names and see your wonderful vehicles, for the Saturday at least.
If you don't mind a 52 plate Audi A4 tagging along if The Little Atom is not finished by then plus 15 year twins and my good lady wife Paula.
Stan.
All A2s are welcome. May well be in my 52 plate 😊

Could be us in a different car every day ! A2, 1966 Beetle, 1972 Type 3 . . . . .

Does my Photo appear in the left hand column of this, or not please ? I added it to my Profile but it does not appear on my screen !

Steve U

Does my Photo appear in the left hand column of this, or not please ? I added it to my Profile but it does not appear on my screen !
Steve, you've added the image to your profile banner rather than your avatar. It shows up as the wallpaper when someone clicks on your profile. When you edit your profile, click on the green '6' that you've currently got and select an image to upload from your PC or device.

With this post, I'm just pushing this thread under more people's noses. Yes, I live here, so am possibly biased, but Morecambe Bay and its surroundings must be one of England's most spectacular areas.
Being close to the Lake District, accommodation costs may soar as the time gets closer, so get yourself signed up now. We're all hoping for a big turnout, with lots of A2s and lots of A2 owners.

Very much looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Tom

Back