obdeleven recommendations

Rowdy

Hi there, I am about to pick up my first A2 and I wanted to check it with a computer before I purchase it. It is not currently taxed so I cannot drive it anywhere to have it tested. What do you recommend for a basic check? I was looking at the OBDeleven as it will work with my phone. Any recommendations would be much appreciated?
Thanks

A KKL cable, from eBay at around £10 and VCDS Lite, free download from the Rosstech official website (and a Windows XP -10 PC) is all you need to check out a prospective purchase.
Last time I looked, Carista did not support the A2. OBD Eleven does support the A2, and is very convenient as there's no wire between the OBD connector and the phone/tablet it runs on, being Bluetooth. Quite expensive though, and is biased towards newer VAG models. VCDS, having been around for a long time (it was called VAGComm to start with), supports all early VAG cars and engines, A2 Mk1 TT, etc. The technical support available from Rostsech, and the community around it is second to none, where as getting a useful response from OBD Eleven is not easy..
There is a small set of error codes which most motor manufacturers signed up to, and support, and most readers will read them accurately. Then there is a much larger set of codes which are manufacturer and engine specific, not all readers can read these codes accurately., as the helpful label that gives a brief description of the fault idoes not come from the car, it is pulled from a directory of labels within the reader, and attached to the appropriate code.
The owner, and developer at Rosstech, Uwe Ross, still answers tech questions.
Mac.

Something like this is what you’re after

A KKL cable, from eBay at around £10 and VCDS Lite, free download from the Rosstech official website (and a Windows XP -10 PC) is all you need to check out a prospective purchase.
Last time I looked, Carista did not support the A2. OBD Eleven does support the A2, and is very convenient as there's no wire between the OBD connector and the phone/tablet it runs on, being Bluetooth. Quite expensive though, and is biased towards newer VAG models. VCDS, having been around for a long time (it was called VAGComm to start with), supports all early VAG cars and engines, A2 Mk1 TT, etc. The technical support available from Rostsech, and the community around it is second to none, where as getting a useful response from OBD Eleven is not easy..
There is a small set of error codes which most motor manufacturers signed up to, and support, and most readers will read them accurately. Then there is a much larger set of codes which are manufacturer and engine specific, not all readers can read these codes accurately., as the helpful label that gives a brief description of the fault idoes not come from the car, it is pulled from a directory of labels within the reader, and attached to the appropriate code.
The owner, and developer at Rosstech, Uwe Ross, still answers tech questions.
Mac.
I have been looking at some KKL cables and I have seen that some say cars pre 2004. The A2 I am looking at is actually a 2005 model. Will this still be OK or did they change something on the 2005 model? Cheers

I have been looking at some KKL cables and I have seen that some say cars pre 2004. The A2 I am looking at is actually a 2005 model. Will this still be OK or did they change something on the 2005 model? Cheers
2005 A2s technically identical to 2004 - nothing to worry about there (obviously open to correction but I'm reasonably confident on this one).

2005 A2s technically identical to 2004 - nothing to worry about there (obviously open to correction but I'm reasonably confident on this one).
@Robin_Cox is spot on. VCDS Lite is only compatible VAG vehicles (cars, vans and campers) which ended production in the 2004/2006 model years. All A2s, MK1 TTs, MK1 A3/S3/RS3, A4 B6 etc.
Rosstech make the VCDS Lite available for free, with no tie to their hardware to support people like us, who keep the oldies running, but can't afford the version that's supports following generations. VCDS Lite can be made fully functional (still limited to oldies, but allowing individual controller testing, option coding (door locking, alarm beeps etc, longitudinal & lateral sensor setup, and throttle body adaptation, and important to the FSI, inlet manifold flap/potentiometer calibration, for a $99 license fee.
But the free version is all you need to scan for faults.
Mac.

I have a cheap Ebay connector / VCDS lite installed on the (£30 quid PC laptop out of a skip) Windows 7 set up. I mostly use this laptop for the Tdi remap software tinkering. Ironically, my Amazon Chinese ODB reader has proved to be the best piece of kit I have for our 1.4i car - speaks to almost all of the ECUs at the right speed, was able to equilibrate the newly-installed Throttle body and EGR valve (that was properly broken beforehand) and seems to sort out the sporadic 'inappropriate air pressure' warnings caused by any one of a number of near-catastrophic actual faults. Not saying there isn't a fault but it wouldn't be the first time a message like this has appeared on the near-open road.

VCDS is not just compatible with VAG cars. It is specifically for them. Generic readers are just that depending on their library of error codes you may get lucky and find they work better on the A2, but in general Audi went beyond the basic OBDII codes and used their own more specific ones.

Cheap windows XP-10 laptop with a USB port, a KKL cable and VCDS lite will get you the required help you need. I have a generic reader also and would not even contemplate using it on the A2. For that it is my full fat VCDS.

I have ordered these two options from Amazon.

I am picking up the car tomorrow so Amazon were the only ones who could deliver today before I go. I have a Mac laptop and I have used Wine to install VCDS Lite onto it, hopefully it will work with the cable. Otherwise I will use the OBD reader as it will be better than nothing. I will look into buying a proper cable when I have more time for delivery.

Do these two options look OK?

:)

I have a cheap Ebay connector / VCDS lite installed on the (£30 quid PC laptop out of a skip) Windows 7 set up. I mostly use this laptop for the Tdi remap software tinkering. Ironically, my Amazon Chinese ODB reader has proved to be the best piece of kit I have for our 1.4i car - speaks to almost all of the ECUs at the right speed, was able to equilibrate the newly-installed Throttle body and EGR valve (that was properly broken beforehand) and seems to sort out the sporadic 'inappropriate air pressure' warnings caused by any one of a number of near-catastrophic actual faults. Not saying there isn't a fault but it wouldn't be the first time a message like this has appeared on the near-open road.
Which Chinese OBD reader did you buy?

i do all my work and checking for my fsi with this,
because its vag specific it seems a bit cleverer than the normal generic ones
any way I'm not very good with computers so it works me

I have ordered these two options from Amazon.

I am picking up the car tomorrow so Amazon were the only ones who could deliver today before I go. I have a Mac laptop and I have used Wine to install VCDS Lite onto it, hopefully it will work with the cable. Otherwise I will use the OBD reader as it will be better than nothing. I will look into buying a proper cable when I have more time for delivery.

Do these two options look OK?

:)
That cable is fine. and is all you need for VCDS Lite. There is no advantage with VCDS Lite in using a more expensive cable. You must use the correct USB to Serial driver, CH340 for Windows XP, 7 and 10.
Mac.

Which Chinese OBD reader did you buy?
the same Xtool VAG401 cited above. It's been a godsend for me and paid for itself many times over ; eliminating ghost engine lights on my A6 (eventually fixed by new fuel cap), any number of ghost lights on our 1.4i as well as throttle adaptations and diagnostics eventually resolving the coil issue ; seasonal switching between winter and full-fat maps on my AMF project car and recalibrating the fuel gauge as well as helping me resolve the steering pump fault, and finally diagnosing the failing brakelight switch on my everyday BHC Tdi . The only caveat I have is that I recommended it to someone else on here and it didn't work at all for them - so I am really glad that @steve54 has also given a positive as it makes my experiences seem more statistically relevant. Quite a few handy videos on youtube of people using xtool vag401 to resolve various issues on a2 or similar-aged vw group vehicles (tt etc), some are more useful than others.

Back