odd goings on!

Howey

England
Have had the wife report of abs and traction control faults lights popping on, on a few occasions, sorted by cycling ignition. Stored fault for G201 abs pressure sensor.
Happened to me today, first thing i noticed was indicators not flashing just showing a solid green tell tale on the dash (not flashing at all)
Pulled up, tried hazzards which seemed to work and then the abs ect fault lamps occured (got the feeling the car had gone into a fault state and all issues are connected. Restarted all well again???
Anyone any ideas???
Cheers
Howey

Brake light switch? That seems to set off some weird faults if it is playing up. I should stress I am not an expert but it is something that jumped into mind reading the above.

Brake light switch? That seems to set off some weird faults if it is playing up. I should stress I am not an expert but it is something that jumped into mind reading the above.
Thought this myself as known a incorrectly fitted new one on a passat cause a brake pressure fault, however my brake lights appear to opperate fine. Will let it develop

Make sure the car electrics are in good condition. Remove the battery from the car and fully charge it. Clean the battery terminals and the connecting leads. Make sure all earths are good and working. Check the ECU is not damp under the passenger footwell compartment. Refit the battery and resync the remotes / windows as needed. Start and drive the car. Make sure battery is charging / holding charge then have a scan done with VCDS. Hoping it was just low volts or amps that was triggering the errors. Brake switch tends to make the glowplug light come on. Do your brake lights work or do the flicker? Have you got cruise?

Many thanks, all basics appear fine including brake lights. No cruise fitted but the ecu is enabled for cruise
Fault may be happening when turning right but still waiting to confirm

OK, how old is the brake fluid? Is the level correct? Bleed and flush MAY cure. Brake switch cheap but a pain to change. What did you scan the car with. VCDS will give more info from the ABS controller. You can even run the ABS pump to bleed it.

Many thanks! Pressure bleeded brakes a few months ago and they feel sharp
Used my hand held vag scanner so maybe worth putting on some better kit, have a few options

The ABS unit includes a pump, so unless you have low voltage when running, suspect the pump. VCDS should confirm. This company will be able to repair at a fraction of the cost of a new one:

RAB

Many thanks yeah the abs pump is certainly a possibility, the master cylinder does have one sensor on it not sure what that does!
Most confusing is how the indicators behaved moments prior to abs fault occuring?

Many thanks yeah the abs pump is certainly a possibility, the master cylinder does have one sensor on it not sure what that does!
Most confusing is how the indicators behaved moments prior to abs fault occuring?
I think the indicators/Hazzads automatically flash under emergency braking as a safety measure to warn other drivers (my Mercedes did), so them flashing with an ABS fault isn't beyond the realms of impossibility.
John

Indeed but they didnt flash they were either on or off when selected just gave a constant solid light. As i arrived at my destination turned car off and back on and no issues.
Has not happened since wednesday but the wife did say it stalled twice yesterday, it sure is a car with character think its the return of Herbie

So the car is being used since the issue. Has any other issue happened? The weather recently could well have been water in a plug somewhere giving a faulty warning. Does the car stop is a straight line? I still think it is an electrical issue. The battery could have been under heavy load with insufficient charge. When that happens the car could easily trigger faults. Do you have a good battery that is the correct capacity for the car fitted? Have a vcds scan done as that could provide far more information and also able to read the battery voltage.

Yeah cars driving fine just done a 30 mile round trip without issue, battery was recently bench charged and tested and was A ok, alternators very new looking. Scanned again with my supervag and no engine faults stored.
Brakes all fine, new discs and pads also recently fitted, its simply bizarre!!

Keep an eye on it but may just have been dampness. Full vcds scan always useful. Spraying the electrical plug with a water displacer helps slow contact corrosion.

Many thanks yeah it does seem like a dodgy connection somewhere will wait and see if the fault becomes a permanent fixture!

Back