Of brakes and men.

Robin_Cox

Last MOT it was noted that one of my Bilstein B4 front shocks was showing some minor seepage (it's done 20-odd thousand miles in a couple of years and there are some ropey roads around here so I'm not entirely surprised). They also commented that the front pads (Pagid) fitted at the same time were getting towards needing to be replaced. With that in mind, I thought about getting the same again, and then noticed various threads on here (including @Skipton01 , @A2Steve, @rosscanning and the like) talking about larger discs than the 256mm originals and the parts-bin-specials approaches that can be used to achieve this. I also did some reading on parallel fora on diverse vehicles such as the TT, Polo, and Fabia VRs. The rabbit hole beckoned.

The consensus is that the hub mount (a.k.a knuckle) casting on the A2 features an integral caliper mounting point for the FSIII calipers, so fitting something larger is not directly feasible. However, by swapping these for similar equivalents in the VAG family there are possibilities using Fabia VRs (Polo GTI) parts to get to 288mm discs and on vehicles already similar to this, to 312mm discs (ie., MkI TT) that also have 5x100 hubs but use the larger ATE caliper system. I started to get a little confused at this point because there were some indications that the similar hub carrier component from the Golf IV / MkI TT could also be used - with occasional comments about issues with ABS compatibility that I didn't fully understand - with the quoted advantage that the TT casting has a slightly longer bottom ball-joint mount that means you get slightly less understeer as the outside bottom arm in this configuration doesn't influence the tyre to lose the parallel tread contact surface with the ground under cornering forces as easily. (This is best explained in the Briskoda 230hp build link lower down the page with photos - but I didn't read this article until a couple of days ago).

With all of these half-truths in mind, I priced up and bought a pair of Golf IV hub carriers and some Eicher 312mm discs (in the run up to Christmas there were some silly deals on Ebay outlets for Eurocarparts or their competitors that meant these and other contemporaneous purchases were quite cheap). A set of braided HEL brake lines in black arrived following discussion with Ross. The bearings for the hubs though weren't what I was expecting for the A2 (the 5x100 face is similar but there is an external ABS ring), so I then got cold feet and bought a set of the 6Q Polo hub carriers and the usual SKF 72mm bearings / stub axles, a pair of rusty 312mm carriers to refurbish and some ECR calipers allegedly for Golf IV upgrades along with a kit of seals, pistons and other bits. Various other bolts arrived from TPS, and then the whole lot went in a box in the garage for Christmas.

Nearly 4 months later, here we are again.

Reading various other threads made me decide to stick to VAG oem parts, so I bought an Ebay set of TT 312mm calipers and carriers to refurbish. Minutes later I had an epiphany when browsing 7zap parts lists at the same time as reading a skoda page ( https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/43733-312mm-brakes-pictorial/ ) on a similar upgrade because I've always been a little wary that going to 312 may cause clearance issues with 16" SE rims (even though 16" clearly do fit over these brakes on the Fabia VRs - but not all do). I already had the 6Q hub carriers used in the Fabia build thread. I noticed that these same carriers were used on the early 8X S1 (which remains 5x100, unlike the limited edition A1 quattro which has 5x112 hubs), meaning that the lovely black S1 calipers for 310mm brakes I had just seen flash up on Ebay would fit. In a piece of man-maths logic, the 310mm brakes would also fit better under 16" rims than 312mm ones (you cannot deny that 310 is smaller than 312) - and they are already painted, with pads and carriers, so I wouldn't have to refurbish the other carriers before being able to use them.

IMG_0792.JPG

The next question then arose - what is the ABS issue that has been mentioned but not explained in what I've read elsewhere. For this, we need to compare the 6Q (Polo) part with the 1J / 8N (GolfIV / TT) part . The 6Q part (with caliper attached) is on the left ; the Golf IV part is on the right. The caliper will attach to both. You can see some small differences in the location of threaded holes for the brake disc shield, but other than that these parts are broadly similar in most of the major dimensions. However, the lower image shows us what the problem is. On the polo part (left), there are two holes machined into the casting of the bearing housing itself - one passing all the way through to the bearing, the other threaded into the casting. This is the location of the ABS sensor in the 6Q part, and there isn't one on the GolfIV part. A skilled machinist would probably be able to drill and thread two similar holes - but it is when feeling this around this area and then use calipers that you realise the second difference : the 6Q casting wall is slightly more than 2mm thicker than the Golf one, and the bearing housing diameter is just shy of 72mm on the inverted calipers. Consequently, the 72mm bearing will slide all the way into the Golf housing (just under 74mm) and rattle around where you need to press it into the Polo component. So it wouldn't work, unless you get (the slightly larger) Golf IV / TT bearings, whatever ABS sensor is used on that car and then presumably also more mucking about as well.

IMG_0794.JPG

From another Skoda thread (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/470429-230bhp-dad-wagon/) who tried that approach to begin with - it was possible to cobble something together, but resulted in all sorts of warning lights and daft things like the fans not working properly. In that particular example, they ended up using the S1 (8X) bearing carrier which has the same modified geometry for the ball joint as the TT to give the grip advantages when cornering but also features the ABS sensor location seen here - and on paper that could be an interesting parts choice for someone wanting an A2 more compatible with lowered springs, which I don't.

The ABS sensors have two reference numbers - WHT003861 and WHT003860. These are the same as the 6Q927803B / 6Q927804B components on the A2, but for more recent models they seem to use the WHT code instead.

This is where I've got to so far. This is the first time I've prepared a (genuine) project thread starting something from scratch rather than just fixing stuff, even if my posts are normally quite rambling and verbose at the best of times.

Hi, I use the polo gti WRC cimbinatiin whithout any issues with the ABS or use of 16 inch rims. If you choose the 288 configuration you willnstill be able to use 15 inch rims. The 312/310 configuration will need at least 16 inch.
If you go this route it is wise to change the master brake cykinder at the same time. Not necessary but advisable. The throw of the brake pedal will be a tad longer as what you are used to with the original brake setup. For me this was not an issue, because to my experience it makes dosing the brakes more smoothed when applied. Original has the tendancy to bite a bit.

I hope this helps.

Hi, I use the polo gti WRC cimbinatiin whithout any issues with the ABS or use of 16 inch rims. If you choose the 288 configuration you willnstill be able to use 15 inch rims. The 312/310 configuration will need at least 16 inch.
I should have made it clear to begin with that all of my cars are on 16" SE rims already apart from one set of 15" steel winter wheels. My concern with the clearance is that these are 6J, where it seems many of the TT rims are 7J or wider, and I assume that and offset may impact on the few mm of extra clearance that may be necessary. I know that VRs 16" rims do fit over 312 brakes from the other threads listed.
If you go this route it is wise to change the master brake cykinder at the same time. Not necessary but advisable. ...

I hope this helps.
The voice of experience is always welcome on this thread to both stimulate debate and offer suggestions or alternatives - do you have a suggestion on the part number for the cylinder or which Polo (6N, 9N?) it came off?

I would suggest the replacing the master brake cylinder of the vehicle you take the brake setup from. In my case the polo 6R GTI WRC. In your case I would take the MBC of the FABIA vRS. But again, it is not necessary. It will work anyway and will improve your braking capability. Downside could be the extra unsprung weight per corner on the front axle.
If you want a partnumber I'd suggest the guidelines through the upgrade post in the seat ibiza 6L website.

I hope your german is good, but the info is very elaborate, including partnumbers, on our platforms.

Thank you for the link - I will have a go at it when I've got some time. Again, all useful information both for me and anyone else who reads this thread. The one thing I noted earlier was that in the A1 at least, the brake servo is larger on the LHD than the RHD parts, but I don't know if this is the case for A2s and Fabias - something to check. Bearing in mind the 8Z1 / 8Z2 situation for A2s and differences in intake pipework on Tdis, it is plausible that there may be a difference to be borne in mind.

Added to my previous comment now having gone to the technical link above - that is a huge piece of extremely detailed work that seems to be well worth reading and I would suggest offering a beer as indicated in the descriptor above. Again, assuming most of us here haven't seen it, many thanks @[email protected] for suggesting this here.

Last edited:
My respectful question would be:
A very light car such as the A2 is going to be more sensitive to unsprung weight changes than a heavier car.
It is also less demanding on the brakes because it is lighter.
So why fit bigger heavier anchors?

As I mentioned you are absoluetly right. The general consensus on the german forum is to use 288mm brakes in the front axle and 232 massive disks on the rear axle in conjunction with C41 calipers. This is the lightest combination among the brake upgrades. The choice of disks en pads is not even taken into account. Adding EBC yellowstuff for instance and ferrodo disks will give you all the stopping power you'll ever need probably?

Good question, and one I have wrestled with over the past 6 months. I ordered a set of B6s (2 week delivery prediction) for this build some time before Christmas because I assumed that they may give a little better control than the B4s bearing the weight question in mind, but some recent minor import issues resulted in them still not being available now so I eventually got a refund.

One thought process is that if the discs and brakes add 12kg to the front end - as a % of the vehicle as a whole, that isn't much. I know there are arguments about the A2 tdi being already quite front-heavy. One possible counter is that it is not as if I am changing to brakes like you'd see on a Bentley with 20" wheels or big chunky alloys - tyre weight on the same rims for instance can already give significant unsprung differences.

I've had 195/55/16 88 tyres on this for a while that weigh noticeably more than the same tyre model in 195/45/16 83 on the same SE wheels. The lighter ones give sharper handling and that Tdi car really does feel like the AUA one. The big ones are really good on long motorway journeys - unaffected by anything, deal with potholes etc. and as I don't really treat this as a sports car, the unsprung weight has never been an issue - there is a feel difference, but it still can be chucked around some local curves at low speed without not 'feeling like an A2' (if that makes sense?).

I've also not spoken about the rest of the plans for this car. I've managed to accumulate a set of Cupra Tdi160 injectors and a BHC turbo that are both going away for refurbishment and in the case of the turbo, something similar to @timmus ' and @Hef 's improved turbos. Also planning to accumulate other pipes and bits and pieces based on Tom's Tdi120 thread to allow for greater airflow, and eventually planning a slightly more pokey build of the engine with these parts. This was the primary reason for the brake enhancement albeit with some temporal displacement. The intention is for this to remain a road car, not track-oriented, and as 'sleeper' as possible.

Yeah, the import issues form the mainland pose a real problem for the UK.
I can relate to the line of thinking. I'm not much for a sporty driver anymore, but get tempted so every now and then. I own a ATL and an AUA. Both have upgraded brakes. ATL as mentioned earlier with 312 WRC setup and the AUA with the 288mm calipers and disks. The ATL does feel heavier but can be driven spiritly. The AUA is light as ever. So I can confirm that 312mm setup is a bit too much. The light a2 does not need this much unless you have 150+ BHP to stop.
In addition I drive the 9-spoke/ 205-45-17 tyre combination. And you're right it is a smooth comfortable ride on long trips .

My respectful question would be:
A very light car such as the A2 is going to be more sensitive to unsprung weight changes than a heavier car.
It is also less demanding on the brakes because it is lighter.
So why fit bigger heavier anchors?

Because the standard brake setup can fee quite lifeless and spongy in most cases. When you go over just having a remap on the TDI, it’s nice to have a more direct feel to the brakes and know you can stop on a sixpence.

The A2 was never designed to be driven quickly, but when modified right to do so can be a hoot. So much so that I’ll be selling the TT once the A2 has been built.

And here we have it after months of waiting until the right time to get it done : the 310 (and presumably 312)mm brake set up fits cleanly under 6-spoke SE 16" rims by at least half an inch clear air outside the caliper. I also have new brake discs & pads (standard 256mm) fitted to my project car a week later on the same rims, both sets fitted using braided WG/Hel brake lines, which means I have a direct comparison to how they were previously and the bigger brake setup.

Firstly - in normal commuting - the big brakes feel more progressive - there is very slightly greater pedal travel range as predicted by @DuncanA2 above, but it feels to me as if there is more precision / feel over the pedal movement range. Ironically the pedal now feels almost exactly like the one in my A6 which has 312mm brakes. On my project car, the key thing is more firmness and bite to the brake pedal (unsurprising given the state of the discs / pads that came off it). Both are an improvement in perceived pedal feel, but in different ways.

Herewith a photo of the new setup while I was swapping to winter wheels at the weekend ; they are barely visible when the wheels are in situ which is what I was looking for - I just can't get a good angle to take a photo with the wheels on right now owing to driveway occupancy.

IMG_0996.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Will do when I get in. Obviously other discs are available, I just went for some good honest Blueprint (Febi Bilstein) ones.

Robin could you list out the kit of parts needed for ease of reference?

O.K then, top down.

Top Strut bearings and mounts kit including the nuts and bolts (Febi Bilstein - 2x Top Strut Mountings (Pair) Front 37884 Febi Repair Kit 6N0412331ES2 Quality)
Bilstein B6 front shocks
Monroe SP3248 front springs (replacing identical ones I bought 3 years ago). Mind you these sit fractionally high if you're bothered about these things but on our roads here it is useful - they don't roll much and the steering is very direct with these. Other options are available.
Stark (brand) knuckles / hub mount castings (L&R) - these were from Autodoc
STARK Stub Axle, wheel suspension
Article number: 07.31.290
1 items x GBP 39,84 In stock GBP 39,84
STARK Stub Axle, wheel suspension
Article number: 07.31.291
1 items x GBP 34,91 In stock GBP 34,91

GENUINE VW AUDI SEAT SKODA LEFT RIGHT FRONT ABS SPEED SENSOR WHT003861 WHT003860
Plus - 6mm x 16mm cap bolts in A4 stainless steel to secure the ABS sensors (Ebay shop as much cheaper than from any car place).
caliper bolts and brakedisc bolts from Autodoc -
QUICK BRAKE Bolt, brake caliper
Article number: 11628
4 items x GBP 1,32 In stock GBP 5,28

TOPRAN Bolt, brake disc. Article number: 115 526 2 items x GBP 0,74 In stock GBP 1,48

SKF front bearings including new hubnuts - SKF Wheel Bearing Kit Article number: VKBA 3569
HEL Front Braided Brake Line Kit for Audi A2 1.4 TDi 2000-2006 AUD-4-116. I got these in black - yes, they do all sorts of colours but didn't want to be different to original colours. Come with a set of fittings and fixings.
5L Mannol Dot4 brake fluid
2x Brake Discs Pair Vented fits AUDI S1 8X 2.0 Front 14 to 18 CWZA 310mm Set ADL - and 2x 6x16mm countersunk stainless steel bolts to hold them on (see above from Autodoc, but could get generics online)
Genuine New AUDI S1 (14-18) Front Brake Calipers + Brackets + Pads 310mm (in satin black rather than the red colour alternative). Worth noting that the pads on these don't have wear sensor wires.
I had also just bought the following to refurbish - AUDI TT MK1 8N 312MM FRONT BRAKE BRAKES CALIPERS AND CARRIERS and a set of Eicher 312mm discs from ECP but then had a rush of blood and was attracted to buy the S1s already being brand new and painted. The vanity of vanity... still have the other ones to send for refurb when I've got some pennies but there are other things to do first.

I did also get an ARB bush / drop link combo from Febi, but the mechanic said that the existing ones were fine for now and to keep the kit back for when they aren't.

After a few days of this car being used regularly (while my other half's AUA was getting the exhaust flexi and another exhaust hole fixed) I got it back today with the new 310mm brake discs and pads thoroughly run in after a fair bit of local use over the weekend - I think I've mentioned that my other half has heavy feet previously (although this is usually manifest in the form of ruinous fuel bills!).

For once it has actually worked out quite well. Compared to my initial use the day after the brakes were fitted, there is now genuine feel and a lot of progression through the pedal action. Secondly - as experienced on the commute this morning when I had a slightly more abrupt braking incident than would be ideal owing to a delivery van using my side of the corner on a narrow and unsighted stretch of road - it feels as though the brakes have a considerable amount more available muscle that you can access instantly than hitherto (although this is compared to the worn 256mm Pagid discs and pads I fitted in 2017 with nearly 30k's worth of wear last month before replacement).

Again - there may be a slightly psychosomatic element, but I am inclined to believe that it is genuine, especially now that the feel seems to have normalised a bit. My AMF car's new 256mm brake system is equally demonstrating much-improved braking although with a slightly higher pedal than previously so to begin with I've experienced an occasionally over-servoed braking sensation at low speed, but again it is a step forward, and I will be interested to see how this car drives once the warmer weather comes back.

Very nice work Robin. Would you care to comment on the Bilstein B6's and what they do for ride and handling, or is it too early to tell?

The Stark stub axles you linked to aren't the same as those for the S1 (8X)? I'm not aware of anyone making aftermarket versions of the S1 hubs with the lowered BBJ mount. Too much of a niche market perhaps?

Very nice work Robin. Would you care to comment on the Bilstein B6's and what they do for ride and handling, or is it too early to tell?

The Stark stub axles you linked to aren't the same as those for the S1 (8X)? I'm not aware of anyone making aftermarket versions of the S1 hubs with the lowered BBJ mount. Too much of a niche market perhaps?
In the brief time I've had my own car to drive since the swap was done it seems that in everyday use the most significant improvement is increased refinement over high-frequency road imperfections and over abrupt linear road joints where both front wheels go over the gap or ridge at the same time. It's not night and day - and what I've really noticed is that it highlights how good B4s are for a third of the price each (that I have on both other A2s and had on this one previously). It's subtle and something you only really notice going over the same roads regularly with the same car and no other differences.

The stub axles I used are a Polo part from memory - you're right - the S1 ones with the modified casting linked to in that Skoda retrofit thread I would guess are more likely to have come from a scrappy, maybe as complete struts for the reason you suggested.

The brakes are definitely bedding in now and I'm used to the feel on this car as well as the new 256s on my other Tdi, both have been a nice step forward on what was there before.

The Audi A1/S1 front brake calipers for 310mm discs are an ATE system.

The only difference between these Audi S1 front brake calipers and the other cars in the VW group that are fitted with these ATE front brake calipers (for 288mm and 310mm front brake discs) is the paint colour and the S1 badge.

The VW group have fitted these calipers to many cars in their range including the VW Polo MK5 and VW Golf MK5 as listed below.

AUDI

• AUDI A3 Hatchback (8P1) (Year of Construction 05.2003 - 08.2012, 90 - 265 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol)
  • AUDI A3 Sportback (8PA) (Year of Construction 09.2004 - 03.2013, 90 - 340 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol)
  • AUDI TT Coupe (8J3) (Year of Construction 08.2006 - 06.2014, 160 - 360 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • AUDI TT Roadster (8J9) (Year of Construction 03.2007 - 06.2014, 160 - 360 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • AUDI A3 Convertible (8P7) (Year of Construction 04.2008 - 05.2013, 102 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • AUDI A1 Hatchback (8X1, 8XK) (Year of Construction 05.2010 - 10.2018, 82 - 256 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • AUDI A1 Sportback (8XA, 8XK) (Year of Construction 09.2011 - 10.2018, 82 - 231 PS, Diesel, Petrol)

SEAT

• SEAT Altea (5P1) (Year of Construction 03.2004 - ..., 86 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SEAT Toledo III (5P2) (Year of Construction 04.2004 - 05.2009, 86 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SEAT Leon II Hatchback (1P1) (Year of Construction 05.2005 - ..., 86 - 265 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SEAT Altea XL (5P5, 5P8) (Year of Construction 10.2006 - ..., 86 - 211 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SEAT Ibiza IV Hatchback (6J5, 6P1) (Year of Construction 03.2008 - ..., 60 - 150 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SEAT Ibiza IV Sportcoupe (6J, 6P) (Year of Construction 07.2008 - ..., 60 - 192 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SEAT Ibiza IV ST (6J8, 6P8) (Year of Construction 03.2010 - ..., 60 - 150 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SEAT Toledo IV Hatchback (KG3) (Year of Construction 07.2012 - ..., 75 - 125 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SEAT Ibiza Sportcoupe Box Body / Hatchback (6J1) (Year of Construction 04.2008 - 05.2015, 69 - 90 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
SKODA
  • SKODA Octavia II Hatchback (1Z3) (Year of Construction 02.2004 - 06.2013, 75 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Octavia II Combi (1Z5) (Year of Construction 02.2004 - 06.2013, 75 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Roomster (5J) (Year of Construction 03.2006 - 05.2015, 64 - 105 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Fabia II Hatchback (542) (Year of Construction 12.2006 - 12.2014, 60 - 180 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Fabia II Combi (545) (Year of Construction 10.2007 - 12.2014, 60 - 180 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Roomster Praktik (5J) (Year of Construction 03.2007 - 05.2015, 70 - 90 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SKODA Superb II Hatchback (3T4) (Year of Construction 03.2008 - 05.2015, 105 - 260 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SKODA Yeti (5L) (Year of Construction 05.2009 - 12.2017, 105 - 170 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SKODA Superb II Estate (3T5) (Year of Construction 10.2009 - 05.2015, 105 - 260 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • SKODA Rapid Hatchback (NH3) (Year of Construction 07.2012 - ..., 75 - 125 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Rapid Spaceback (NH1) (Year of Construction 07.2012 - ..., 75 - 125 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Fabia III Hatchback (NJ3) (Year of Construction 08.2014 - ..., 60 - 125 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • SKODA Fabia III Estate (NJ5) (Year of Construction 10.2014 - ..., 60 - 110 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
VW
  • VW Touran I (1T1, 1T2) (Year of Construction 02.2003 - 05.2010, 90 - 170 PS, CNG, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • VW Golf V Hatchback (1K1) (Year of Construction 10.2003 - 02.2009, 64 - 250 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Electro, Petrol/Ethanol)
  • VW Caddy III Van (2KA, 2KH, 2CA, 2CH) (Year of Construction 03.2004 - 05.2015, 70 - 170 PS, CNG, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • VW Caddy III Estate (2KB, 2KJ, 2CB, 2CJ) (Year of Construction 03.2004 - 05.2015, 65 - 170 PS, CNG, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • VW Golf Plus / Crossgolf (5M1, 521) (Year of Construction 01.2005 - 12.2013, 64 - 170 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Electro, Petrol/Ethanol, Petrol/Petroleum Gas (LPG))
  • VW Passat B6 Saloon (3C2) (Year of Construction 03.2005 - 11.2010, 102 - 300 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Natural Gas (CNG))
  • VW Jetta Mk5 (1K) (Year of Construction 08.2005 - 10.2010, 90 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol)
  • VW Passat B6 Variant (3C5) (Year of Construction 08.2005 - 10.2011, 102 - 300 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Natural Gas (CNG))
  • VW Eos (1F7, 1F8) (Year of Construction 03.2006 - ..., 115 - 260 PS, Diesel, Petrol)
  • VW Golf V Variant (1K5) (Year of Construction 06.2007 - 07.2009, 80 - 200 PS, Diesel, Petrol, Petrol/Ethanol)
ОЕМ NUMBER
OEM reference number(s) comparable with the original spare part number

Here's a couple of links to 7zap.com showing the brake calipers and caliper carriers for the ATE 310mm system on the Audi A1.

floating caliper brake
brake caliper housing
calliper carrier
brake disc (vented)
CONTITEVES
front
310X25MM 5/100
PR-1ZS

11K0 615 123 Ebrake caliper housingleft1
(1)1K0 615 124 Ebrake caliper housingright1
(2)8X0 615 125 Acalliper carrier
D >> - 13.04.2015
(2)8X0 615 125 Ccalliper carrier
D - 13.04.2015>>

floating caliper brake
brake caliper housing
calliper carrier
brake disc (vented)
CONTITEVES
front
310X25MM 5/100

18X0 615 123 Abrake caliper housing
matt black
D >> - 07.07.2014
left1PR-1ZM
(1)8X0 615 123 Cbrake caliper housing
matt black
D - 07.07.2014>>
left1PR-1ZM
(1)8X0 615 123 Bbrake caliper housing
tornado red
D >> - 07.07.2014
left1PR-1ZN
(1)8X0 615 123 Dbrake caliper housing
tornado red
D - 07.07.2014>>
left1PR-1ZN
(1)8X0 615 124 Abrake caliper housing
matt black
D >> - 07.07.2014
right1PR-1ZM
(1)8X0 615 124 Cbrake caliper housing
matt black
D - 07.07.2014>>
right1PR-1ZM
(1)8X0 615 124 Bbrake caliper housing
tornado red
D >> - 07.07.2014
right1PR-1ZN
(1)8X0 615 124 Dbrake caliper housing
tornado red
D - 07.07.2014>>
right1PR-1ZN
28X0 615 125 Bcalliper carrier
matt black
D >> - 13.04.2015
2PR-1ZM
28X0 615 125 Dcalliper carrier
matt black
D - 13.04.2015>>
2PR-1ZM
(2)6R0 615 125 Bcalliper carrier
tornado red
D >> - 13.04.2015
2PR-1ZN
(2)6C0 615 125calliper carrier
tornado red
D - 13.04.2015>>
2PR-1ZN

The Audi A1/S1 front brake calipers for 310mm discs are an ATE system.

The only difference between these Audi S1 front brake calipers and the other cars in the VW group that are fitted with these ATE front brake calipers (for 288mm and 310mm front brake discs) is the paint colour and the S1 badge.

and the carriers are slightly longer to position the caliper correctly for the larger-sized discs which you need to bear in mind if buying the calipers as separate objects - I've got a set of the unpainted calipers as well as the carriers off a Golf to refurbish that I just didn't use in the end purely due to vanity (and in the end, having a set of installation-ready calipers with new pads and pistons cost about the same as buying ones to refurbish and getting the refurb with a paint job option done).

It is also necessary to avoid conflating the hub setups and parts specifically for the similar A1 quattro (limited edition, has 5x112 hubs) with the production series S1 (5x100 hubs as with the A2) - the 7zap pages do take a bit of time to read through in context, cross-referencing option codes (for the brake system - ie PR-1ZM / 1ZS etc.) to identify the correct part when it is not made explicitly clear on some assembly pages if it is the 288 or 310/312 disc variants that are referred to.

Back