Official MPG Figures?

Two-Pots

Hiya all,

Ive a 1.4 75bhp diesel A2 and was wondering what is the official (or unnoficial) MPG for town and motorway conditions?
As ive a new Garmin satnav with the "eco-route" option and need these two figures to see how effeciently im driving!

Any info greatly appreciated :)

near enough

urban cycle: 50mpg
extra urban cycle: 80 mpg
combined: 65 mpg

How is the fuel consumption test conducted?
The test is outlined in Directive 93/116/EC as amended by 1999/100/EC and provides results that are more than representative of actual average on-road fuel consumption than previous tests. There are two parts: an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The cars tested have to be run-in and must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

Urban Cycle
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20oC to 30oC on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerating and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50km/h), average speed 12mph (19km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4km).

Extra-Urban Cycle
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure
The combined figure presented is for the urban and extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

Last edited:
I drive every day from Sutton Surrey to the Dartford Tunnel I drive at about 65 mph ( its about 5 in the morn so not in a rush) My car is a 1.4 tdi 2001 and has a new intercooler and is regularly serviced, I do not use a computer to check MPG as they LIE!!!! I work it out the old fashion way and i get between 58 and 62 mpg. I use aircon and sometimes have a window open and this all can effect your mpg.

Cheers Darko

I havent had my TDI long enough to use a tank of fuel yet, but after 350 miles the DIS is indicating 72 mp (I do a fair bit on the M40), but we'll see when I fill up.

My last car, an RX8 had official figures that were ludicrous and the owner's club was unanimous that the official mpg figures bore no connection to reality. But it appears that the a2 figures are pretty accurate?

Gary

audia2museum.de contains all the figures in l/100km, under "daten und fakten". I think there's also a UK brochure there somewhere.

Bret

Yep. Mine returns me between 65-80mpg. I can get it down to around 55-ish if I really thrash the pants off it everywhere, but never less than that. The published figures are pretty much on the money for me and that's after 130k and a remap.

Back