Oil colour

Karlbar2k

Hi all, what colour should the oil be in 1.4tdi as mine is quite black? Granted I don't think my daughter has changed or topped it up, ever! But want to get it back running right so have topped it up with proper pd oil and going to run it for a week and then drop and change oil, filter, air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter. But am concerned that it shouldn't be getting that black...

TDi oil starts to look black very quickly (1000 miles or so), partly because the oil is doing its job and holding all the soot particles in suspension. Leave it too long and eventually it becomes 'saturated' allowing sludgy goo to build up on the engine internals

Cheers Spike

How does it get so sooty? Where does it get into the oil as I would associate soot with exhaust gasses. Is it a combination of egr and crank breather.

How does it get so sooty? Where does it get into the oil as I would associate soot with exhaust gasses. Is it a combination of egr and crank breather.
Combustion gases, known as 'blowby' carry the microscopic soot particles past the piston rings and into the sump.
The crankcase breather's job is to prevent pressure build-up in the crankcase but in doing so, a small percentage of oil mist gets past the baffle system and is recirculated back into the air intake manifold. This in turn mixes with the hot EGR gases and causes a build up of sticky carbon deposits in the intake manifold etc

Cheers Spike

Ok so a petrol oil is cleaner as the combustion is not highly sooty. So that's why regular oil changes are important then..

it'll be black, put in new oil, run the car and by the time you check the dipstick it'll probably be nearly black already.... just the nature of the beast.

you want all the dirt in the oil, not left in the engine, look at it that way ;) so when you drain it out...

Back