Oil fill plug on the sump spun

Un4tural

Hello, hope things are going well.

Hopefully just a quick one

Sorting my newly acquired lovely 1.6 FSI and seems the oil drain plug is stripped, it is in there, and I can turn it to tighten but it does not do the tighten thing... It only does a few drops a day so nothing major, but if I do take it out to see if it is sump or drain bolt it might not go back home.

As such, wondering what is the easiest/proper option to sort it? I want to give it a bit of a driving to find out what else needs attention, so rather not do anything major plus I don't have any taps and doubt it is a good idea to start practice on my sump.

Are only choices to re-tap it and find a larger drain plug bolt or replace the sump? Or there's some product easier and more magical?

Proper job would be to remove the sump and take it to an engineering workshop. They may be able to helicoil it, thread it oversize and make a custom adapter or even weld and retap the thread back to standard. The hole may need spot facing as well since it's critical it's dead square to the thread for the washer to seal.
Temporary fix could be to fit a drain tap and Loctite it in - though getting the thread clean / oil free first could be an issue
Spotted this one which has an adapter which would be even better. No idea of the quality so check it out if you are tempted - https://www.quickvalve.co.uk/f106_adp106.htm?veh=Audi A2 (8Z) 1.6 (1589 petrol) 2002-2005

Cheers Spike

I was tempted to grab a sump off a breaker and fit it later, should be cheap enough, removing it is just a few bolts to unzip and then wet gasket on in place?

Anyone have experience with https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=oil+drain+plug+repair&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 as any starry eyed fool they do look like a good idea on paper, seems reasonable to re-thread and then use larger bolt provided.

I don't see any way of doing it without getting messy, the oil looks near new in the car also...

Another dumb (genius?) idea is to use plumbers tape around the bolt plop it in and deal with it next year :rolleyes:

I was tempted to grab a sump off a breaker and fit it later, should be cheap enough, removing it is just a few bolts to unzip and then wet gasket on in place?

Anyone have experience with https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=oil+drain+plug+repair&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 as any starry eyed fool they do look like a good idea on paper, seems reasonable to re-thread and then use larger bolt provided.

I don't see any way of doing it without getting messy, the oil looks near new in the car also...

Another dumb (genius?) idea is to use plumbers tape around the bolt plop it in and deal with it next year :rolleyes:

One of the bolts it blocked by the flywheel and you need to turn over the engine by hand to get to a slot in the flywheel undo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AMF engine with the sump off

gerbox1.jpg

It's arguable we should all do this as helicoils are reportedly stronger than the factory sump threads??

I know it's too late for the op and I sympathise but the secret is to use a torque wrench to avoid overtightening and any problems in the first place.

If the thread is still intact I personally can't see any problem with your own suggestion to use a tape on the sump bolt thread as a temporary measure to stop the leak as long as it is sufficient to take the heat ?

I know it's too late for the op and I sympathise but the secret is to use a torque wrench to avoid overtightening and any problems in the first place.

If the thread is still intact I personally can't see any problem with your own suggestion to use a tape on the sump bolt thread as a temporary measure to stop the leak as long as it is sufficient to take the heat ?
Oh it is my project car, always use a torque wrench when I do it, Helicoil looks very cool and probably if i want to keep the car I'll go that route for sure, not to mention avoiding the squirt of oil and trying to aim by tub to catch it!

Reactions: A2Z
Oh it is my project car, always use a torque wrench when I do it, Helicoil looks very cool and probably if i want to keep the car I'll go that route for sure, not to mention avoiding the squirt of oil and trying to aim by tub to catch it!
Yes, you would definitely need to drain it off and refill again rather than try and quickly swap it over. Have been there once before and it was a bit messy ?

Back