Oil Warning Light ON!

hgg

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me!?
The oil warning (RED) light keeps coming on in my a2 (2000), this has been going on since summer 2013...
When it first came on i pulled over and checked my oil, which all was fine. Sometimes it stays off, other times i may have been driving a while and then it comes on and starts beeping.

The oil has been changed, as well as the filter and sensor, the red light of doom stayed off for one whole day, but is now back!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be fixed?
Is there any way of disconnecting the sensor all together? So it doesn't keep flashing up - MOT is due shortly too.

Any help or suggestions would be brilliant!!

Hi hgg,

What engine do you have (1.4, 1.6 petrol or TDi)?

What sensor was changed, was it an OEM sensor bought from Audi or something from ebay?

When was the car last serviced, and was this by Audi or a good indy, or has it been serviced by a general garage?

Cheers

Jeff

I'd ask the garage to remove the sensor, plug in a master gauge and physically check the oil pressure.

Cheers Spike

Possibly the wrong sensor has been replaced.
The warning lamp you mention suggests an oil pressure issue (not oil level), either genuine problem or pressure sensor failure.
As Spike mentioned, removing the pressure sensor and fitting a master gauge to verify the correct oil pressure are the troubleshooting techniques that should be employed, unless it’s obvious the sensor or wiring has failed.
The sensor is located front right of the engine as you look into the engine-bay standing in the middle of the front bumper.

This post may help - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?22106-Oil-pressure-sender-and-switch&p=170395#post170395

I hope this helps

Cheers

Jeff

BY the way, you also mention that "the MOT is due soon"
You do realise that they cannot fail the car because of an oil warning light?

It is only safety related warnings such as ABS and Air Bags that can cause a fail.

As for disconnecting the oil sensor, please don't do this, that could mean a "grenaded" engine!

If the low oil pressure warning is coming on, it could be that it is just due to low oil pressure.

If you have another sensor to swap this one for(perhaps even borrowed from someone with another A2) you can check the sensor.

I hope you do find that it is the sensor, low oil pressure can be an expensive fix, it is rarely just cured by a new oil pump!

Steve B

I thought I'd reply with some good news as usually people only reply/ post in relation to issues when they're in trouble and a counter- narrative or alternative positive outcome might not be reported.

So, yes, I've had this light on and it's been terrifying. I've read all of the stories online and even been looking for used engines on eBay. I called my local garage and they spotted that the sensor was not only easily accessible, but also available as an £8 part.

About four hours later they had the part, they took the old one out whilst I stood there and replaced it.

It was reported that the existing sensor was coated in oil and with the new sensor in, no warning light!

It seems that a LOT of things leak on these cars now they're older and the issue was a short across the sensor, not a failing engine.

I'd also slightly over- filled the engine, but the guys said that it was marginal and as it's not a diesel, I shouldn't worry about it 'dieseling' itself to death through intake of oil to the turbo or combustion cycle.

It was the oil sensor in the sump...

And it's a 1.4 petrol

Thank you
Our 1.4 Petrol did this years ago. Unexpectedly fixed it by driving up and down some very steep hills ! Level Sensor Float must have been stuck.

Steve U

Back