Opinions/Recommendations for ODB2 dongles & apps

Hey all,
Does anyone have recommendations for an ODB2 dongle and app to use on my A2?
I'm interested in understanding fuel economy, and for on the spot assessment of an intermittent EW light.

Rob

Then you are severely limited. Obd eleven pro "next gen" is Ios capable, but works only with their dongles, costs £60 ish, and there's little else recommendable. Have only heard good things about it in the context of newer cars, though. Carista has very few reviews, but Torque might work. I do not have any clarity on good dongles or their reliability for that combo, though. Most software is Windows and the most reliable dongles USB cables from Gendan, Autodia or Ross tech.

- Bret

Personally, I'd only look at VCDS or OBD Eleven. VCDS is Windows (XP to 10, any old laptop or netbook), while OBD Eleven (Bluetooth) is fine with, but cheapest on Android. I have both. I'd say VCDS Lite ($99 + £10 for KKL cable) if it's just for pre 2005/06 VAG cars, OBD Eleven if you want to use it on later VAG cars.
There are lots of others, but they don't support the VAG specific codes, just the limited OBD code set.
Mac.

Having said all that, Torque Pro and a Bluetooth dongle is good for logging, but requires a level of techiness I don't have!
Apps free for Android, not sure about ios though. Get an old android phone, cheap dongle and give it a whirl.
Mac.

Back