OSS - is it worth it?

Malcyb

As a newbie, just working out what would be a sensible spec for me. There might be a thread asking this but couldn’t find it.... OSS looks very nice but is the consensus here that it’s more trouble than it’s worth due to leaks and failures? My wife would love it but personally I could live without it so long as I’ve got climate control.

This is a very subjective preference. I had a non-OSS A2 for 7 years and now I have a OSS (working) A2. I would never go back.
The car looks different and the light quality inside the cabin is just uplifting.
Even a broken-sky, as we call a non working OSS here, is still worth having, given it's water-tight.
The only drawback, in my view, it's the extra weight (30Kg) and the height of this extra weight, which effectively raises the centre of gravity.
Lastly, climate control is quite handy if you opt for OSS, as during hot summers the heat radiated by the roof is quite substantial, and summers are not getting any cooler...

When the OSS is open, unless you only use the tilt function on the front section, it's very noisy by the time you get to 60mph. That's assuming you've already dropped the rear windows an inch or two, otherwise you get a really loud wuthering through the cabin. But it's lovely to have open when pottering about in the summer, and a very quick way to get the trapped heat out of the car when returning to it after it's been stood parked in the sun. Even if it's not open (or more often, not working), the light that it lets into the cabin is very pleasant, brightening up what can be a rather sombre black on many cars.

On an OSS car, check for water staining and sagging on the headlining, these often point to failed or failing seals. Also ask if it has had a replacement windscreen and if so, check very well for signs of water in the footwells including in the underfloor compartments at the front. The OSS drainage relies on there being channels down the sides of the windscreen sealant bed.

@Kleynie in Staines is your man for OSS repairs, he can do a service or a complete replacement with a fully working unit.

Aha, so are you saying that I can be confident that a broken sky roof will remain watertight? For sure I see that having a glass roof can improve cabin ambience.

My OSS is broken, but the tilt/lift function still works, and I find it very useful for ventilation, particularly if I leave dogs in the car on a warm day.

My wife’s smart has a panoramic glass roof. It doesn’t open but the lightness and airy feeling really lends a feeling of space and brightness which is quite lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have it on my A2’s but have an equivalent on my Merc. I don’t miss not having it on my A2 as the climate control is always on. That said I haven’t experienced a summer in my A2 yet so might wish I had one then.

I have driven an OSS car and during spirited driving you can feel the weight high up when cornering.

It’s all personal preference but I decided I wanted one without.

I have a Tdi without OSS, and an FSI with it. Both have aircon. It does make the interior much lighter, but as has been mentioned does not aid handling.
If you do decide OSS is for you then make sure that aircon is also fitted. There seem to be quite a few cars about with OSS but no aircon!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I have a Tdi without OSS, and an FSI with it. Both have aircon. It does make the interior much lighter, but as has been mentioned does not aid handling.
If you do decide OSS is for you then make sure that aircon is also fitted. There seem to be quite a few cars about with OSS but no aircon!

Climate control is a must have for me. From what I’m reading here I’m edging towards favouring OSS too (even if broken) - I’ve got a panoramic roof on the fiesta, it brightens the cabin nicely though only my wife ever opens it.

My oss was broken & didn’t leak.

My Aircon broke and was like a greenhouse in summer which made me wish I had rear electric windows.

To me a tintop was claustrophobic by comparison.

Haven’t driven one without so can’t comment on body roll.

Climate control is a must have for me. From what I’m reading here I’m edging towards favouring OSS too (even if broken) - I’ve got a panoramic roof on the fiesta, it brightens the cabin nicely though only my wife ever opens it.
Your last line sums things up! Keep your wife on side!

My 1.4 AUA has a working OSS and I really like it. The FSI has a Broken OSS, not leaking and A/C (not sure if it is working correctly though).
I don't think I would like my A2s without OSS

Another vote for OSS, had a few A2's without and my keeper as OSS, it was one of the main reasons for buying it, was working, then broke, OSS was removed and refurbished by myself, refitted and working better than ever
Fully agree with the earlier comments re noise at speed, other than the tilt function above 50mph mine remains closed as the noise at motorway speed is not plesant. Having said that I have a Focus CC3folding tin top for those nice summers days, in comparison the Focus CC3 at 70mph top down is quiet, you can hold a conversation without shouting at each other, in the A2 with OSS open at the same speed you would be better using sign language than talking :)

Paul

Found OSS be more noisy also when shut.
I must admit having both we haven’t found much difference the only thing that is noticeable the oss petrol is much quieter than the none oss tdi ? ...I miss the torque of the latter when driving the petrol ..but the petrol is lighter on the steering more nimble .

Last edited:
Back