Overheating Puzzle

asrj52

Bought myself my first A2 ( Y reg 1.4 Tdi 75) a few weeks back and was loving it until the first time I took it up to motorway speed.

The Problem -

After about three minutes doing 70mph the temp gauge was up to 100 degrees and though I immediately dropped my speed, the temp continued to rise and hit 110 degrees before I found a safe place to pull over.

Suspecting a head gasket failure I took it to a garage for a combustion gas leak detector test. This came back negative which gelled with the fact there was no sign of any emulsion in the oil.

The mechanic thought it was probably a stuck thermostat. And when the old thermostat was removed it did reveal a lot of gunk build up, so that seemed a good call at the time.

Unfortunately fitting a new thermostat and flushing the system had no effect and the problem remained.

The mechanic decided the next thing to do was replace the radiator with a new one but once again it made no difference at all.

We are now at the head-scratching stage.

Symptoms -

I can drive all day long at speeds up to 50mph and the temp will never exceed 90 degrees.

If I push it to 60mph it might start to exceed 90 degrees but very slowly.

If I push it to 70mph the temp will very quickly increase unless I back off my speed.

If I drop my speed to 40 mph the temp will come back down quite quickly.

Other symptoms -

I am losing coolant at the rate of about one litre for ever hundred miles travelled.

And that is the case even when the temp is maintained at a steady 90 degrees.

Note: there is no sign of any leaks anywhere that I can find - no puddles, no drips, no staining or discolouration.

Once up to temperature the bottom hose, while not cold, is markedly cooler than the top hose.

Most puzzling -

Even after being parked up for 48 hours the header tank is holding enough pressure to spurt coolant when the cap is released.

The latest -

The mechanic is now saying he suspects it must be a cracked head.

In his opinion this would be a crack that is allowing coolant into an exhaust passage.

My question -

Does the mechanic's suggestion that it's a cracked head leaking coolant into the exhaust system sound correct?

Could there be any other cause for the symptoms I have described?

Assuming it is a cracked head, is the next thing to try is a Holts Wondarweld treatment?

That was the mechanic's suggestion of what needs to be done next (he knows I can't afford to replace the head).

What do people on here think?

A long shot but........

That rate of coolant loss is quite slow. It could be leaking somewhere hot where it is evapourating (still might see residue mind) or slowly from bottom hose radiator connection. Additionally new thermostat could be installed incorrectly and only opening a little bit. There are lugs in the thermostat housing which can cause non oem stats to be at the wrong angle possible causing it to not open fully.

Like I said, a long shot but fits the symptoms. Is sounds more likely your mechanic is correct.

Trevor

The system holding pressure whilst stone cold is the smoking gun for me.

I fear your mechanic is correct, you could try some steel seal (never tried myself but I think I would in the same scenario.

Best of luck

Howey

Wrong time of year to ask - but what happens to the dashboard indicated temperature if you turn the fans up and crank your cabin heater up to HI - do you get hot air through in the cabin or not (and consequently cool the engine down)? Just trying to establish if the heater matrix and associated circuit is also full of sludge as well. @Weetank2 's suggestion about coolant impellor also makes sense.

And during all this what was the radiator fan doing? Do you have climate? What thermostat was fitted and was it fitted correctly? Was the coolant system bled of air afterwards correctly? What does VCDS tell you about the two temperature circuits from the coolant sender? What colour coolant are you running and when was it changed? The wrong type of coolant really does cause issues on the A2. Is the Webasto water pipe clogged up? Are the brakes dragging or clutch slipping? What is the general servicing record like and were genuine parts used? When was the water pump last changed? Can you see coolant flowing into the expansion tank? Have the mechanic do a couple of sniff checks on the coolant. How honest has the previous owner been with you???????

If the cooling system is still pressurised after 48 hours, that can only be done by the combustion process, either by a leaking head gasket or similar. A poorly functioning cooling system wouldn't be pressurised after 48 hours, not even 2 hours.

RAB

Another vote for a leaking head gasket where combustion pressure leaks into the cooling galleries under load.
If that's the case the cooling system will gradually pressurise more frequently and under lighter running conditions

The cyl head rarely cracks but may require a light skim if the gasket needs replacing.

Think your car will have a Webasto heater and Audi warn it may be damaged if you use stuff like Radweld in the cooling system

Cheers Spike

Just a shot in the dark have you tried replacing the green sensor just above the tandem pump as these can misread if faulty

Back