P0653 Sensor ref voltage code - car intermittently in limp mode

Hi. Car broke down and was recovered & the above code was storred
car starts but only move in limp mode with glow plug light flashing.
Any ideas on what it can be?
A point to note is that my interior fuel cap release switch won’t work and the car doesn’t recognise my driver door is open.
this a an 04 1.4 tdi ATL engine.
thanks ?

Hi Matt, I was waiting for someone with specific knowledge to chime in on this but it's been quite a while with no reply so I'll give it a go. Did the driver door issue happen at the same time as the breakdown?

So far as I can tell this fault code means the (normally 5V) reference voltage that goes to a few sensors is (or was) too high. There will be an extra code extension like 35-00 or 35-10 to show whether the fault is permanent or intermittent (respectively). You can try googling 001619 which means the same as P0653. It may mean that there is a fault with the wiring or a sensor fault, or possibly a faulty ECU. Not the same fault code as yours but take a look at this youtube clip - I wonder if the earth wire at your MAP is broken or you have a short at the same location:
NB: it is a series of 3 videos, this is the link to the first.

Respect to Youtuber Mark @Away with the fairys

As usual with fault codes, if you have a cable and VCDS try a reset and see if that fixes it (probably temporarily) - I guess whoever read the fault code would have tried that though.

All the best,
Matt

Last edited:
Back