PART name and/or NUMBER Required please!!

Whyte3237

evening all,

Had my 03 1.4tdi up on the ramp today to change my anti roll bar bushes but I noticed a stabilising arm from the gearbox to the subframe had an unusual amount of play in it and I’m wondering if it’s this I can hear when going on small bumps etc. After doing the roll bar bushes then noise has reduced but there is a still a slight knocking from that specific area so I’m fairly certain it is the bushes on this stabilising arm.

I was just wondering if this part has a specific name and/or part number so I can get one ordered and swap and out so I can drive in peace. (For now)

Thanks,

Zack.

it is commonly called the Dog Bone real name pendulum mount

The one from the Polo fits and is MUCH cheaper, you get the aluminium part and the metal bracket, but you only use the aluminium part from the Polo
Last time I looked the Audi one was well over £100 and the polo one under £25 - some what a no brainer
If you blip the throttle and can see the engine rotating more than normal this is the likely cause, or driving on level road at stead speed, say about 35mph, accelerate slightly then lift of the gas a little so the car is pushing the engine round, then back on the gas. As you transition from engine pulling car to car pushing engine if you hear a clonk this is most likely to be the Dog Bone mount
Cheers

Does this ever cause a momentary howling noise - ie a lower gear, lifting off throttle with engine braking down a slight hill then back on throttle again, or does a worn dog bone purely cause clunking noises with the entire drivetrain shifting? I assumed it might be gearbox bearings or similar but Paul's test above reproduces the conditions in which I get an occasional odd noise from underneath.

A dog bone is a tough component that takes some breaking. Have you checked all the bolts are tight? If then with you under the car and an assistant rocking the engine can you feel a knock in the dog bone? If so you probably have your culprit.
I replaced my dog bone recently because of oil contamination of the rubbers. With a new dog bone and new screws correctly torqued I have a knock on acceleration and a rattling on overrun. It’s not the dog bone, suspect transmission or drive shafts. Going to let it develop.

Last edited:
It doesn’t knock on acceleration, it only really makes clunking noise on certain bumps. I’ve checked all possible bushes on suspension etc and can’t find anything sort from this dog bone that had sufficient amount of play in the bushes to cause it.

A dog bone is a tough component that takes some breaking. Have you checked all the bolts are tight? If then with you under the car and an assistant rocking the engine can you feel a knock in the dog bone? If so you probably have your culprit.
I replaced my dog bone recently because of oil contamination of the rubbers. With a new dog bone and new screws correctly torqued I have a knock on acceleration and a rattling on overrun. It’s not the dog bone, suspect transmission or drive shafts. Going to let it develop.

Sounds like a diff issue - rebuild of transmission in order! :p

Hopefully it's not that serious :D

Simon.

Sorry to go slightly off topic Robin but there may be a pointer for yourself if your dog bone is in good order.

I was going to swap the outer CV joints left to right in an experiment to extend their life. They were so far gone compared to my 30 year old Golf that I put them back on as was and decided when they start clicking I will import two complete shafts from Germany.
A2 rattles like a good un, CV joint experiment now on the Golf.

It doesn’t knock on acceleration, it only really makes clunking noise on certain bumps. I’ve checked all possible bushes on suspension etc and can’t find anything sort from this dog bone that had sufficient amount of play in the bushes to cause it.

Anti roll drop links?

it is commonly called the Dog Bone real name pendulum mount

The one from the Polo fits and is MUCH cheaper, you get the aluminium part and the metal bracket, but you only use the aluminium part from the Polo
Last time I looked the Audi one was well over £100 and the polo one under £25 - some what a no brainer
If you blip the throttle and can see the engine rotating more than normal this is the likely cause, or driving on level road at stead speed, say about 35mph, accelerate slightly then lift of the gas a little so the car is pushing the engine round, then back on the gas. As you transition from engine pulling car to car pushing engine if you hear a clonk this is most likely to be the Dog Bone mount
Cheers

Got a part number for that so I can order one? Thanks

no sorry, tpc or main dealer will be able to order it for you if they don't already have one in stock, for the polo from 2000 to 2004 ish

AEDE5328-8D19-4363-AADD-A08366225A56.png

Back