Part numbers

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Any idea what the suffixes at the end of audi part numbers mean?
ie ......851 F
and ...... 851 B

letters can be revision related (newer or older version) or Petrol / Diesel variants.

Last edited:
Don't think there is a general 'rule' which applies to a part number suffix.
Sometimes it's an update so the newer version supersedes the older one..... but sometimes they are not interchangeable
Sometimes it can be the same basic part (eg. a mirror switch) but for a different model car
If it's a 3 digit code it can define the colour option.

Safest way is to look up the part number in one of the on line catalogues and check for clues - https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/

Cheers Spike

Reactions: Vic
Don't think there is a general 'rule' which applies to a part number suffix.
Sometimes it's an update so the newer version supersedes the older one..... but sometimes they are not interchangeable
Sometimes it can be the same basic part (eg. a mirror switch) but for a different model car
If it's a 3 digit code it can define the colour option.

Safest way is to look up the part number in one of the on line catalogues and check for clues - https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/

Cheers Spike
Hi Spike, tried that already, both part numbers are given with no apparent differences. Sadly the local Audi dealer is closed so I can not check which applies to my chassis. Hey ho.

Normally it's a revision. That might mean a different type (climate control units are a good case in point; D is single-DIN; E has heated seats. F is double-DIN, I think H is double-DIN with heated seats... you get the picture) or it might mean a completely new edition of the part, maybe with new parts that match up to it.
What's the part?

- Bret

In this case the revisions are specific to model year and not a supersession.
A2switch.JPG

Cheers Spike

I imagine this is one is for the change of icons on the switches, from the outline to the more solid depiction?

Just checked the door wiring harness and the multi pin plug for the window switch unit (item 14) changed from 10pins to 4

Shame the date code are screwed up and should read 04/2000 to 09/2002 and not 2004/00 to 2009/02
Likewise the later part should read 10/2002 to 08/2005 and not 2010/02 to 2008/05

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Interesting youtube video explaining the part numbering system. Heavy going but very informative.

I'm not the best at understanding parts diagrams but something doesn't make sense here. Wouldn't the 4-pin connector be for front electric windows only and the 10-pin one for all four electric with the rear lockout? I can't see how you could manage all of those on just 4 pins. If so then it's confusing that there appear to be revision dates.

What you say is logical but the parts list suggests the door wiring loom on early model cars had a 10 pin connector and covered both front only and four electric window options. Same seems to apply to the later loom but it only has a 4 pin connector. That change seems to roughly coincide with the canbus upgrade combine with specific CCCU modules to control rear electric windows. so that could explain only needing 4 wires from the switch module.
Certainly not a definitive answer but it raises enough doubt on the ability to mix and match the 'B and F' revision window switch units without more research

Cheers Spike

Back