Pepperpots with tyres

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
I want to change to pepperpots and have found a set from an A3 with 195/65/R15 tyres fitted.
I have looked at the specs listed on this site but this size is not listed for the A2.
Will I be able to use them or will I need to buy a set of new tyres?

OK thanks Steve.I think that these will be too far away for me to be able to get them couriered at a reasonable price,way up North down to Devon.

Last edited:
OK thanks Steve.I think that these will be too far away for me to be able to get them couriered at a reasonable price,way up North down to Devon.
Hi! I'm Tom from Chorley Lancashire, just realised I've bought the wheels/tyres in question. As far as advice on whether they fit, being 195 x 65 x 15, I would agree but I have previously bought x 2 sets of pepperpots with old tyres for our x2 A2's and had experimented with the old 195 x 65' s on for a short while.
There was some absolutely minimal scraping on the liner but only when on Full lock and only when reversing. The rest of driving was absolutely fine, even with three people and crammed with luggage, so I bought two full sets of Dunlop sport blu response 195x65x15 tyres, around £50 each, so £400 total. Bloody ell! They've been fine and a lovely softer ride.
If it makes you feel better btw, it was a long 120+ mile trip to collect and although the rims are excellent with tyres that look superb with deep, hardly worn tread, they are from 2002 so 17 year old rubber= not recommended!

If you find some pepperpots, and watch for A3 wheels, you'll find some reasonably priced if you're patient, the tyres may look great with deep tread but find the panel with the x4 digit date code on one side and if they're over 5 years old, likely, they'll have minute cracking/hard rubber so budget for new tyres in any case.

For peace of mind I'd stick to 195x55x15 section rather than the original A3 size, only a little less tall but definitely no scraping at all.
Good Luck. I won't be a rival seeker now I've got enough for a fleet so you've more chance. Gumtree is good for cheap sets of wheels if sellers don't realise A2 people want them! Be patient. Cheers.
Tom from Chorley Lancashire.

195/55 x 15 gives the correct speedo reading - I'm running Michelin CrossClimates at the moment.
Good point. Which reminds me, I've been calculating mpg meticulously as I do for all my cars and was somewhat disappointed by the figures for the A2's, 65 mpg best for wife's car (Robert) and IIRC, 59mpg best for mine (Colin) .
However, I've realised that because the higher profile tyres increase circumference by 6.86% the ACTUAL distance travelled, despite the milometer's reading, is of course, 6.86% further! So I've been miscalculating to produce worse mpg.
In case you didn't know the brim-to- brim method, (which IMHO is the only absolutely accurate way to do it) it's thus:-

Record milo reading and zero the trip.
Fill up right to the very top-use the burp hole.
Drive normally for 500 miles. Or more!
Go to same pump/garage to fill up.
Fill up right to very top using burp valve.
Record milo and trip reading. Zero trip again.
Here's the science! -
Subtract first milo from second reading
See if it tallies with trip=confirmed miles run.
Note exact receipt -total litres put in.
Divide litres by 4.546 = actual fuel in gallons.
Divide miles run by gallons used= exact mpg
Correct to three decimal points!!

This sounds complicated but it soon becomes real easy.

Okay, who's going to ask what the burp valve is? Ha ha.
Tom.

Good point. Which reminds me, I've been calculating mpg meticulously as I do for all my cars and was somewhat disappointed by the figures for the A2's, 65 mpg best for wife's car (Robert) and IIRC, 59mpg best for mine (Colin) .
However, I've realised that because the higher profile tyres increase circumference by 6.86% the ACTUAL distance travelled, despite the milometer's reading, is of course, 6.86% further! So I've been miscalculating to produce worse mpg.
In case you didn't know the brim-to- brim method, (which IMHO is the only absolutely accurate way to do it) it's thus:-

Here's the science! -

Tom.

I use use fuelly.com to measure consumption

Here's the science! -

Tom.

wonder if there is a guide on the % to actual miles depending on tires, been wondering why my mpg is so much worse (45ish though still some wild goose chasing to find the main issue as i'm sure I'm entitled to more, though i do have a leaky intercooler) with my new to me TDI 90 running 205/40/R17, realized it has fair bit road contact than my old TDI with 195/45/R16 i believe tyres, would be cool to have a graph to calculate actual mpg depending on tyre/wheel size.

There are two elements in that equation that are uncertain, and you certainly can't rely on the result.
Firstly, the accuracy of the trip meter, and secondly the actual volume of fuel dispensed (as against the volume charged, which will almost certainly be slightly more).
Using significantly taller tyres than manufacturers intend means that the speedometer underestimates your speed. The car can't as a consequence be used on the public highway, and in any case no reputable insurance company would provide you with cover for such use.

I fitted 195/55/15 to my pepper pots and this gives the same rolling circumference as the 17" sports. The tyres are a little more rare so probably cost around a tenner a corner more in some cases but in the overall scheme of things that's not too bad.

Back