Poor A2 😢 Manual rear window doesn’t go up!

coola2

Just noticed today that my window has been open a small amount (for over a week!!! lol)

Only using the car for short journeys at the moment so will wedge something in there to stop it dropping after everytime I pull it back up.

It’s not electric, I have manual winding windows at the back.

Tried winding it up, and it made a crack sound. Probably a broken plastic clip or something.

Does anyone have good photos / diagrams of behind the door card with a manual window winder? Also how to remove the door card safely without damaging anything ?

Any tips on what parts I may need to repair the issue once the door card is off ?

I never actually opened the windows since I got the car, as they’re not electric and the rear seats are removed so no rear passengers in my car!

I can wedge something in there for now to hold it up, but ideally I want a nice and secure fix (watertight!) if I’m going to remove the door card, might aswell do it properly and then put it back together.

Has anyone else had a similar / same issue?
I guess the heat may have eventually got to the plastics and components inside the door and it cracked under pressure / went brittle etc.

There is a plastic part on the track in the frame that fails in the electric ones, but that would be the first time I've heard of a manual rear window dropping and not going back up. Easiest thing would be to replace the entire frame with the glass already in it, there will be loads about. Which side is it? @A2Steve, @Ami, @Clackers, are you able to assist?

Whichever repair route you go down, there will be plenty of information on here on how to remove a doorcard, then the inner metal doorcard, then the frame itself. Note also the refitting procedure for correct adjustment of the frame.

Probably same thing breaks on electric/manual. In my case on the gray plastic slider one of the ends (upper) that should hold the cable in place failed. So it would not let me close the window. Probably not available as a separate part, since it is the most likely part to fail..... ;)

As a "temporary fix" i moved upper end to lower position and with a copper wire etc pulled now unattached lower end to tension so it would not roll off the rollers at the end. Thanks for reminding that i still have not fixed it properly :D (second year like this with some usage, but it will not move all the way down like this if i remember correctly).
Should make it clearer what might have failed, no need to copy me.

Oh, and i have managed to get cable come off the roller on other side door once after i installed soundproofing in there. That was a normal fix.
P1019810.JPG

Probably same thing breaks on electric/manual. In my case on the gray plastic slider one of the ends (upper) that should hold the cable in place failed. So it would not let me close the window. Probably not available as a separate part, since it is the most likely part to fail..... ;)

As a "temporary fix" i moved upper end to lower position and with a copper wire etc pulled now unattached lower end to tension so it would not roll off the rollers at the end. Thanks for reminding that i still have not fixed it properly :D (second year like this with some usage, but it will not move all the way down like this if i remember correctly).
Should make it clearer what might have failed, no need to copy me.

Oh, and i have managed to get cable come off the roller on other side door once after i installed soundproofing in there. That was a normal fix.
View attachment 98481
Hi... If you would like FOC the entire OSR manual window frame assembly from a low-mileage (50k) A2, then it's yours for collection/courier from York. I recently bought an excellent entire door to replace my dented one, but I swapped out my electric rear window frame.... John

Just noticed today that my window has been open a small amount (for over a week!!! lol)

Only using the car for short journeys at the moment so will wedge something in there to stop it dropping after everytime I pull it back up.

It’s not electric, I have manual winding windows at the back.

Tried winding it up, and it made a crack sound. Probably a broken plastic clip or something.

Does anyone have good photos / diagrams of behind the door card with a manual window winder? Also how to remove the door card safely without damaging anything ?

Any tips on what parts I may need to repair the issue once the door card is off ?

I never actually opened the windows since I got the car, as they’re not electric and the rear seats are removed so no rear passengers in my car!

I can wedge something in there for now to hold it up, but ideally I want a nice and secure fix (watertight!) if I’m going to remove the door card, might aswell do it properly and then put it back together.

Has anyone else had a similar / same issue?
I guess the heat may have eventually got to the plastics and components inside the door and it cracked under pressure / went brittle etc.

Haven't had quite the same issue, but the last tiny little gap can be more difficult to overcome than expected on mine. Wonder if it is the seal that is dried out and provides a lot of friction or something. For me it helped to wind it down a little bit and then back up. Interesting to read that someone else experienced this but in a more serious fashion, so I am curious what the problem turns out to be.

Well, it's only 3000km from here to there... I know that i have 1.2Tdi, but it still translates to 90 liters minimum, so 330+€ round trip + tunnel prices. Sadly i will pass... ;)
That would be a serious road trip though...and in a belting little car!

That would be a serious road trip though...and in a belting little car!
Well, i just came from a trip with it, 2000km to Germany and 1500km back home (through Sweden). So it would not mind a trip, but my wallet would remind me that it is uneconomical to do so. ;)

After all, all that is broken is a little plastic piece sendable by small package and i could even fix my own much better. But these things break when there is no time to do it properly, "temporary" fix is needed and afterwards they just are forgotten :D

i never got round to fixing this yet, just been pulling the window back up to the top lol.

its been fine, only drops 1-2cm, its become habit to lift it up each time it drops. gotta avoid the rainy days and find the time to bother to fix the actual problem!

car being used for short journeys now, doesn't get on the motorway very often anymore sadly.

Where does your wonder point when it is on the testing position? Maybe the handle's weight is causing it to drop when you go over bumps. If that makes sense? You could try taking the handle off for a while to see if it still drops of it's own accord? Just a thought.

Car is sitting around with the window dropping a cm or two each week. It usually stops at about 2cm open, enough to let the rain in!!! gotta figure a temp fix till it gets sorted. The car is becoming riddled with multiple problems and I just want to fix everything so I can get it back to daily usage! 😹

I’ve managed to pickup the whole window frame thing now (without the glass) but seems to have all the mechanism intact (I think)

Hopefully I’ll get round to replacing whatever is broken.

This might be one of the most relaxed/longest and uncared for repairs in the history of broken A2’s!

Not sure if attaching / detaching the glass is easy or difficult. But may find out soon.

Look out for another update in probably 6 months lol. :D

Sounds to me that a visit to B&F Autos in West Hounslow could be a good idea. Lovely people who know their A2's and do not charge stupid money.

Back