Poor radio reception

stevec

Wales
Hi all. Been putting up with this since i bought car. Car has the diversity aerial set up in boot. When listening to radio it seems very reluctant to search for a stronger signal or switch over, and cannot seem to find any radio stations other than the strongest broadcasting ones. R1, R2, R4 and classic etc. Could it be one of the aerial boosters are gone? Is there a setting to be altered on stereo?
Steve

worth checking the wires that you will find behind the rectangular empty slot in the battery compartment.
This is especially if you have had the common leak where the boot fills with water. I was having a similar problem a few months back and just by moving the wires in that area I managed to get full reception.

It is a long shot but easy to try?

Steve B

I had this not so long ago, my diversity unit was rotten inside, bought one from an A6 cheap on ebay. instant satisfaction picks everything up now.

Took my diversity unit apart and it all looks good. In my ownership i haven't had any water in boot

Attachments

• _20180712_192439.JPG
    _20180712_192439.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 474
Is there an easy way to test out the amplifiers? Or do u need to change them one at a time?

worth checking the wires that you will find behind the rectangular empty slot in the battery compartment.
This is especially if you have had the common leak where the boot fills with water. I was having a similar problem a few months back and just by moving the wires in that area I managed to get full reception.

Steve B

Steve B
I resume this old post because I have same problem of FM poor quality. Unfortunately I cannot see the connection that should be checked in battery slot and on Elsa can’t find any info about this. Does anyone has a picture that show this cables ? Thanks

Unfortunately I don’t have a picture but you should be able to find this as follows

Lift up the flap that covers the battery compartment towards the rear on the right hand side you should see a rectangular “box” it looks a bit like the frame that you would slot a radio into.
On the back of that empty (normally) box you will see the unit and wiring that I am talking about.

Steve B

Just to clarify.

Diversity Unit Location.png

I would not be surprised if you did not have a diversity unit. I seem to remember a European member had a lower spec, no diversity and only 1 (2?) amplifier and aerial in the boot lid, I think if you have a diversity unit you have 4 amplifiers in the boot lid.

Andy

Edit. Even better picture, courtesy of ajsellors.

1639099774157.png

Last edited:
It is the wiring behind the slot. It is often empty. The wiring is behind it as in Andrew’s helpful picture.
But it looks like you don’t even have the empty slot so it must be somewhere else in that location.

It is the wiring behind the slot. It is often empty. The wiring is behind it as in Andrew’s helpful picture.
But it looks like you don’t even have the empty slot so it must be somewhere else in that location.
Good to see you again Steve, hope you're doing better now. Sadly from his picture it looks like @paolo_audi's A2 has no diversity unit at all, not even the slot frame in the under-floor compartment to mount it on.

Paolo, there's nothing there for any wiring to be hiding behind. On the other side of that plastic compartment is the underside of the car :oops:

Yes there are around four different set ups and I have only ever seen this one once before. But the diversity unity must be there somewhere. It needs that to convert the rear screen signals.

I am fine now thank you ??

@paolo_audi
Also worth OP informing us if there is an Audi head unit - if so which or an aftermarket setup. The aftermarket would explain the lack of diversity unit and wiring in the normal place.

Looking at a list of 2003 A2 options, all radio options had an extra cost, except the active speaker system. So it was possible to purchase an A2 without an Audi CD/tape/option. My 2001 1.2Tdi had no diversity unit, at least not in the "normal" place; when I bought it in 2007, it was fitted with a Panasonic radio which was most likely original.

RAB

Back