Potential Bose killer - easy install

Olerype

Just spend 3 hours to install Phoenix Gold Z8150. This is a 5cm tall shoebox with active 8-inch subwoofer.

I placed it below the driver seat, and pulled cables below the carpets from boot (power) and headunit (signal and remote). Everything is basically hidden.

The headunit Pioneer X7800 was installed 1 year ago - very happy with this budget headunit as it have basically everything.

Plays ridiculous loud if you want and if you set the crossover very low you will not be able to locate the subwoofer.

Never heard Bose in A2 but willing to bet a couple of pints that this is way better, and at a much more reasonable cost, and a less timeconsuming install. Avtually heard Bang&Olufsen in an A3, and this setup is better.

49D22BA9-ABBA-47B0-BCFC-7CE85117EE56.jpeg

712E9086-B969-46F0-972A-F6A508ECED50.jpeg

Reactions: Nye
Hehe know what you mean; but in A2 I got a feeling that the only difference from the relatively nice standard setup, is a Bose crossover so the four speakers in doors does not play deep bass, but that is taken care of by the Bose subwoofer in the boot.

Just saying that the standard speakers are quite ok for a 20 years old car; and if you want more punch its £150 to add a active subwoofer from one of the quality suppliers such as Phoenix Gold etc. And the best part is that it is easy to install.

Edit: it is not as in the old days when a subwoofer came as a clumpy box and occupied half the boot

It's all about what you like .. I'm past the stage of all about bass and do enjoy a deep but balanced sound.

B&o setup in my tt is better than Bose but it is much newer... and some people say the b&o is rubbish so it really is all about taste.

It's all about what you like .. I'm past the stage of all about bass and do enjoy a deep but balanced sound.

B&o setup in my tt is better than Bose but it is much newer... and some people say the b&o is rubbish so it really is all about taste.

Funny you mention B&O, as I was never happy with the B&O setup in my A5. I think mainly this is to do with the fact there is next to NO deep bass in that system whatsoever (the "sub" is tiny (5" ish) free-air cone in the boot space. It may be different in a TT, but the A2's BOSE setup is miles better than the A5's supposedly high-end B&O, in fact I'd say the standard A2 system is on a par with the A5s.

Funny you mention B&O, as I was never happy with the B&O setup in my A5. I think mainly this is to do with the fact there is next to NO deep bass in that system whatsoever (the "sub" is tiny (5" ish) free-air cone in the boot space. It may be different in a TT, but the A2's BOSE setup is miles better than the A5's supposedly high-end B&O, in fact I'd say the standard A2 system is on a par with the A5s.

Agree Jeremy. The B&O in my former Q5 wasn't a patch on the Bose in the A2 . So much so that I rarely listened to anything other than radio 6 on DAB in the Q5. I saved my iPod tunes for the A2. Entirely more satisfying sonic experience on a long motorway run .

I'm doubting the OPs 'potential Bose killer' can live up to that statement, however it's great to read about people fettling different options into their wee motors.

I'm doubting the OPs 'potential Bose killer' can live up to that statement, however it's great to read about people fettling different options into their wee motors.

I have serious doubts too, especially having listened to the difference between just the normal BOSE speakers and the standard speakers, having for a month or two tried a Sony head unit (MPX-80 50w/channel high end stuff) with the "standard" and "BOSE" versions of A2 speakers it was a night and day difference, and I was actually pretty happy listening to them, I just missed the bass in the system. So for me, it's more about upgrading the door speakers than just adding bass to a medium grade system. Even though you've got great sub bass punch you are lacking the musicality of mid-range punch.
The standard speakers have reasonable tweeters, fair to good mid range, but lack any real semblance of bass response.
The BOSE speakers have very good tweeters, very good mid range and a reasonable bass response.

However, I do give the point that - for those on a budget at £150 it's a worthwhile addition, just not BOSE killing :)

As another reference to quality, the Bose in my A2 was a bit better than the Bose in my 2001 RS4. RS4 was later upgraded extensively (Alpine / Audessey time alignment & equalisation, Soundstream amplification, Morel speakers)

Under seat subs can work beautifully, as I have found in my current 435 Gran Coupe with Harmon Kardon.
The under seat location gives a feeling of integration of the low bass with the whole sound field that usually needs time alignment to accomplish if the Sub is boot mounted.

So the Phoenix Gold a Bose "killer"? maybe not, but a Bose "beater" in the bass area I can certainly believe. Would love to hear it, but Norways' a bit far...

Just made a quick video hehe;

What I should have done, is to have a separate ampflier for the door speakers; and cut off them off at 60-80Hz.

Back in the good days I was running Phoenix Gold ZX450 and ZX500 with Boston Acoustics Pro 6.43 and two Pro 10.4 subwoofers. Audi A2 is nowhere near that hehe, but the standard speakersetup continues to impress me.

Here is a photo of the Bose subwoofer btw.
B0665EF0-300D-4260-89C0-AFB14BC3C4CC.jpeg

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but that sound is bass breaking up and totally overblown. :confused: I realise that it's down to tase but you'll find Audi have done extensive research clinics with customers and HiFi people to reach the Bose we know and love in the A2.

The Bose set up in the A2 is really very good indeed, allowing all the frequencies to sing how they were recorded in the recording studio.

Interesting reading others peoples experience of their Bose set up in the RS4, B&o in the Q5 and and still the A2 was better, even more reason to love this little car. ;)

Last edited:
No, that is the iPhone mic that takes a beating. A little better if you watch the recording with a headset. But a recording will never be able to reproduce the sound.

On the other hand Bose, B&O etc have the problem that everything needs to be hidden away in the worst possible locations. Design first, sound second.

Anyway; this is a easy cheap install that comes with a lot of possibilities of adjustments and sound as per your preference.

Last edited:
No, that is the iPhone mic that takes a beating. A little better if you watch the recording with a headset. But a recording will never be able to reproduce the sound.

On the other hand Bose, B&O etc have the problem that everything needs to be hidden away in the worst possible locations. Design first, sound second.

Anyway; this is a easy cheap install that comes with a lot of possibilities of adjustments and sound as per your preference.

I agree that the bass is excellent there, but cannot agree that the Sound Quality is anywhere near as good as on a BOSE setup. As I explained earlier, the standard door speakers simply cannot match up to the BOSE upgrade speakers in mid-range sound (where probably about 80% of the musicality is), simply adding huge amounts of bass will help the "feel" of the sound, but is not a replacement for quality mid-range.

The BOSE bass speaker is a multi-ported affair, so whilst not as quick reacting as a single cone like in your example, it provides a deep enough bass response for the system. What you have created is a very bass-heavy system, rather than the more neutral sounding and tuned for Audi A2 BOSE system.

Again, horses for courses. I tend to prefer the SQ to be excellent rather than SPLs.

So again, I go back to my original statement that for the £150 this is a good way to get more bass in the system, and if that is your thing then great. But as a BOSE killer, still a nope from me.

Do not think it is possible to evaluate the Sound Quality from a recording by an handheld iPhone (mic) via an Youtube low-res upload.

The Phoenix Gold subwoofer is a sealed system; I guess with a DSP before the amp as it is supposed to go down to 20hz (that I find hard to believe..)

The system is not bass heavy; that is simply not possible from a single 8 inch shoebox subwoofer.

I look forward to listen to a Bose setup once.

The cheap Pioneer X7800 headunit continues to impress me; just realize that the builtin crossover also work on the speaker outputs. So the Pioneer can do exactly the same as the Bose ie remove all bass from the front and rear door speakers. In fact you can individually choose the crossover frequency and slope in -6/12/18/24db etc.

Such functionality we paid top dollars for 20 years ago.

Did I mention it pair two phones simultaneously?

Just get more and more impressed by this setup! Just need to spend som time to tune it in

@Olerype I think that this is very interesting.

At present, the Pioneer X7800 is available for £135 and the Phoenix Gold ZX150 for £140.

For £270, you are claiming a significant improvement to the sound quality of the standard set up (for me the comparison to Bose is a moot point as this isn't a feasible upgrade). In addition, there is DAB and bluetooth for both streaming music and making calls, via a wired mic.

Can you elaborate more on the complexity of installation for amateurs with ten thumbs?

Last edited:
Significant; thats a tough subjective word! Note that I have not yet heard the Bose setup.

The Pioneer was initially bought to get handsfree, streaming and DAB+ (in Norway they have shut down the FM). The Pioneer is very good at the above, and also like that it can pair two mobiles at the same time (yourself and your mistress; not either one).

The standard speakers in A2 are actually quite good. But since I saw the Phoenix Gold subwoofer cheap, I thought why not give a try. Then I realized that the Pioneer also has crossover that also works on the speaker outputs (not only line outputs). So that means you can remove the heavy LF bass from the door speakers. The headunit amp for the front speakers, and the Blaupunkt amp for the rear door speakers can then just power the treble and midrange. Result is more clear and undistorted mid and toprange; expecially at some volume (and if you have a TDI you need some volume hehe). This is the principle that Bose also utilize.

If you cut LF bass at 60-80hz it is impossible for the ear to know the source, so the location of the Phoenix Gold PG can be in principle everwhere. The clever thing with the PG is that is also have a gain potensiometer that allows you to tune the bass to match the exact sound or recording you are playing.

So result I would say; flexibility, higher undistorted max SPL, more open midrange, more bass, and more output at deep frequency (but the PG does not output much at 20hz even if the flyer states that).

And very easy to install.

That being said; it probably does not need to be PG subwoofer. Think Kenwood, Infinity etc all deliver these; also cheaper than PG

Back