Power Steering fault following battery recharge

yatz

Hi all,

My A2 battery had drained having not been used very little over the last couple of months.

I jump started it and took it for a drive and everything was working fine. I decided to also buy a smart battery charger to keep the battery level topped up whilst the car is not being used.

I went to start the car today and the engine starts up fine but I now have a yellow steering symbol and oil sensor fault lights on the dash. The steering is very heavy. I checked the 80A fuse under the passenger footwell and that looks ok. Any ideas on how to resolve, I guess the first course of action would be to scan the fault codes in the car. I seem to have misplaced by VAGCOM so I am currently turning the house upside down to look for it!

Any help will be much appreciated

Yatz

I unplugged the battery for a couple of hours but the faults are still there upon reconnection. According to my fuse box diagram, fuse 40 is the power steering (EPS), I have also read in some other threads fuse 38 can be problematic. My hazard lights, Speedo and air con are all working.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
Yatz

You have checked the power steering fluid level isn't low? Scan is needed. Try driving the car around the block to retrain the steering by turning lock to lock.

Apologies Speedo is not working. Does this point to an issue with fuse 38? I guess something in the electrical circuit caused the fuse to blow during the battery recharging?

Check all the fuses with a meter not by eye and replace any that have blown with another of the correct value. How did you charge the battery and at what rate? Would also spend some time and check ALL fuses.

I charged the battery in situ with a smart charger from Amazon. In hindsight I should've have disconnected the battery before charging. The charger determines the rate of charging, 8A max.

I will check all the fuses this week.

I had a similar problem on one of my previous cars, it turned out to be fuse 38, replaced it and bingo all was good...as Audifan says, use a meter, the fuse looked fine by eye, but meter said different.

I replaced Fuse 38 but it just keeps blowing each time I start the car. Will have to go through and work out which sensor is faulty. Any ideas where to start?

I replaced Fuse 38 but it just keeps blowing each time I start the car. Will have to go through and work out which sensor is faulty. Any ideas where to start?
Nothing to do with sensors. The fuse is blowing because, for some reason, there is more current flowing through the fuse than the amperage of the fuse. The fuse should be 10A.

RAB

Unplugged the air con pressure sensor (G65) and the faults on the dash have all gone. 10A fuse 38 didn't blow when starting the car.

Now to figure out how to replace the sensor without bumper removal. I read a post that used a jubilee clip to loosen the sensor.

Take a look at this thread for more help.

From memory, it's possible but only with 3/8" drive sockets with a U/J.

RAB

Apologies for being a little clueless but would you be able to explain in a bit more detail how to undo the sensor without removing the bumper.

A large/deep socket
Long extension
3/8" ratchet
Universal joint to achieve the angle to unscrew

From memory, the sensor is horizontal, with the sensor end at the LHS. The biggest problem might be detaching the electrical connector. Once that's done, the sensor can be unscrewed with long extensions and a U/J. The refrigerant should not escape as there is a valve under the sensor which is opened by screwing the sensor in.

RAB

Back