Power steering fuse gone???

Timmyo

EF4DEA0C-713F-4442-BC0E-84DC2986CB42.jpeg
Anyone know where the fuse for the power steering is? Warning light on after reversing polarity on battery...all fuses in fuse box seem ok...is there one hiding somewhere else???

Do you have VCDS? I can't imagine why you reversed the polarity on the battery, but maybe you need to use VCDS to clear the error.

There is a huge fuse for power steering main pump in the compartment under the passenger's feet (can't remember but isn't it 50A or bigger?), but otherwise, fuse 38 (10A) in the normal fusebox was the one that got my steering working again *after* I'd disconnected the knackered aircon sensor that was shorting (Canbus gets confused when various things connected to it go bad and it shuts the steering down to make itself feel better!). Anecdotally from here the wee blade fuses can be difficult to see if they are burnt through by eye so worth replacing even if it looks o.k, although in my case there was a 15A fuse in 38 that was very obviously cooked to hell with bits of what looked like melted solder inside presumably because of the corroded sensor shorting out internally taking too much current, so it did its job well in that the rest of the wiring was fine.

Hi all...thanks for replies.. As to why I accidentally reversed the polarity...by not paying attention!! Battery was flat, I was in a hurry, xmas day, no one around to jump off do took the battery out if my boat and swapped into car just to start it - failed to notice terminals were opposite way around (never assume!). More haste less speed. So stranded on Xmas day.

So...having replaced battery and the fried alternator (and the tensioner pulley which cracked apart as we were putting it back!!!!) steering light was in...eventually found under passenger footwell a big blade fuse blown...there was an 80A in there but we put a 60A in (all we had) and it’s fine now

Will be worthwhile getting the 80A one at the correct rating when you've got a chance - I've gone back and checked and the main power supply fuse for the steering is rated at 80A, so although the 60A one will probably work for now in most circumstances it would probably be an idea to get the right one for those situations where you have to move the steering lock to lock quickly at a standstill when 60A might not be enough. Glad to hear it wasn't a CANBUS-related steering issue as these are infinitely more difficult to resolve. Happy New Year!

Will be worthwhile getting the 80A one at the correct rating when you've got a chance - I've gone back and checked and the main power supply fuse for the steering is rated at 80A, so although the 60A one will probably work for now in most circumstances it would probably be an idea to get the right one for those situations where you have to move the steering lock to lock quickly at a standstill when 60A might not be enough. Glad to hear it wasn't a CANBUS-related steering issue as these are infinitely more difficult to resolve. Happy New Year!
Cheers Robin....good to know it SHOULD be an 80 in there...the 60 was all the workshop owner had in a box of bits to get us back on the road. I’ll pick up an 80 and a few spares while I’m at it just in case!

Back