Power Steering Pump advice

Rorybtc

Hello everyone, I'm a recently new member to the group and I'd like to ask some advice regarding my current projects power steering pump.
I bought my 2002 A2 1.4 petrol a couple of months ago with a knackered gearbox and power steering pump, the whole car was in a bit of a sorry state - the previous owner appeared to have been using it as a log store and a sweet graveyard.....
The car has been cleaned within an inch of its life (inside and out) and the gearbox has been replaced, we popped a new clutch in too whilst we were in there (my brothers are both pro mechanics).
Audi A2 Oct 2022.jpg

We pulled out the steering pump to try and diagnose the problem. I've attached a couple of photo's of what we found.
20221006_125815.jpg
20221006_125758.jpg

As you can see, there are a couple of burnt out components on the control board, which are obviously the reason why it doesn't work - but I'd like to ask if anyone else has experienced a similar problem and found its cause, just in case there's anything we're missing before we attach the replacement pump. I'm wondering if this could just be caused by wear and tear, age related component failure, over stress on the pump or is this indicative of a short in the loom somewhere etc....
Also when we come to fitting the replacement pump, am I right in thinking that the pump will need to be coded to the car? And if so, is there a generic code that will work with the A2 as, due to the obvious damage to the current pumps board, we might not be able to retrieve its current code!!!!
Many thanks for any advice you can offer, and thank you, the past forum threads have helped me with loads of fixes on the car already. I'm sure I'll be back soon to ask many other questions too!
All the best - Rory

I've no information to help with the mode of failure of your pump, but I can say I've never heard of a pump having to be coded to the car on the A2.

Those failed are parts MOSFET (switches) that form a half bridge, the other pair are round the other side that form the other half-bridge. Together the 4 make a H-Bridge to drive the motor. One has probably shorted out and caused a shoot through that's exploded the other. It would be repairable but I think that copper bus bar has been ultrasonically welded on. The pumps are self contained, big power supply and CAN bus. Shouldn't need coding as all it does is "listens" to the messages from the steering angle sensor.

Those failed are parts MOSFET (switches) that form a half bridge, the other pair are round the other side that form the other half-bridge. Together the 4 make a H-Bridge to drive the motor. One has probably shorted out and caused a shoot through that's exploded the other. It would be repairable but I think that copper bus bar has been ultrasonically welded on. The pumps are self contained, big power supply and CAN bus. Shouldn't need coding as all it does is "listens" to the messages from the steering angle sensor.
General advice is to download VCDS Lite, from Rosstech, free for basic use, $99 for registered version plus KKL lead, generic ebay circa £10, pukka from Gendan £29 ish.
Essential for A2s, MK1 TT etc.
Welcome along, Mac.

From memory there is a white color 40 OR 50 Amp fuse that supplies the power steering pump, its located under the passenger foot well, If the steering pump is over loaded that fuse goes first, there must have been another issue for the circuit to burn like that, However have fitted a few power steering pumps, never needed to code any of them.

Back