PQ25 Console & Wishbone Swap

Menno

A2OC Donor
Dear all,

There's some new topics about wishbones.

I also just ordered some new forged/cast wishbones......... and then I came across this article by our German A2 friends! Maybe you guys allready knew about it, if you don't it can be an interesting read.
Like it a lot myself, wish I knew/found out before I ordered new cast ones..........

It can be an alternative if you've got threads that are destroyed and/or if there ever will be a shortage of parts regarding the front axle or other issues.

Cheers, Menno

Menno that really is a great find. Only looked at the pictures as not had the time to run it through translate.?

That could presumably be added to the mod using the strut castings from the S1 quattro to get the 'improved' control arm geometry at the front end (less understeery) as well as bigger brake mounting points into the bargain.

That could presumably be added to the mod using the strut castings from the S1 quattro to get the 'improved' control arm geometry at the front end (less understeery) as well as bigger brake mounting points into the bargain.

Brake upgrade is also possible with original set up, although knucklehead (is this the correct word for it, or is "fusee" also applicable in English?) replacement is necessary.
But please, do tell us more about S1 improved geometry, partnumbers, etc!

Brake upgrade is also possible with original set up, although knucklehead (is this the correct word for it, or is "fusee" also applicable in English?) replacement is necessary.
But please, do tell us more about S1 improved geometry, partnumbers, etc!
I found this out when I was thinking about my brake plans.

see the following link from another forum - it explains a lot about the bearing housing / knuckle situation on PQ24/25 chassis cars and in particular the S1 :

Never heard of an S1 lol

Is it a direct replacement or does the rack ect need changing too?

I found this out when I was thinking about my brake plans.

see the following link from another forum - it explains a lot about the bearing housing / knuckle situation on PQ24/25 chassis cars and in particular the S1 :

Very informative, Thanx!

To have it clear; initially it's not about installing S1 hubs, obviously they're not very easy to get hold of too!
Ze Germans have found an alternative to the front beam and control arms. These are easy to be found used or new, and there's more choice of aftermarket bushing for these PQ25 subframe and control arms/wishbone.

@Howey, please read the article, give Google translate a go and click on the links in the link.
@Howey - in short - if you look at the PQ24 (A2) and PQ25 (subsequent) subframes, they have the same main bolt points where they attach to the chassis. Consequently, the latter are compatible with the former, meaning that the entire control arm assemblies etc which locate onto the newer subframe could be used on an A2 (as demonstrated in the photo tutorial). This is a very interesting development. Many thanks @Menno for highlighting this article.

Hello all
I'm still researching, but here's what I know so far

A few german owners have done PQ25 front subframe upgrade.
I don't think that the S1 subframe would fit, but polo 6r with control arms does, same track width, +/- 1mm.

I'm still buying parts to do the pq25, MZN gearbox swap with 288mm brakes all in one job.
Unfortunately, sourcing a good gearbox turned out to be harder then anticipated..

Hopefully in a week or two I'll have all the parts and finally be ready to send the car at the mechanic's.
I'll report how I'm doing, fingers crossed :).

"With the A2, the easiest way to have a more camber at the front is with the Polo 6R front axle, which is 5mm wider on each side, so that brings about 0.5 ° more negative camber."
Google translated from

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
But when under my car today I looking at my subframe because on recent MOTs it keeps getting raised that it has been welded up, but not substantially weakened.
In order to prevent the comments I might get around to changing the subframe, which I imagine is a big job. Or I might dress the welds better and Hammerite.

I have been keenly reading this thread and the translations from the German group.
And my understanding is the later subframe from an A1 PQ25 (6RO199315) will fit straight on. I have the old cast wishbones at the moment, these will no doubt need swapping for pressed ones?

The subframe will fit, but you have to buy new wishbones as well, because current (PQ24) wishbones do not fit on the PQ25 subframe.
Here are the part numbers, 6R0407151F (left), 6R0407152F (right)
Thanks for that.
Do you happen to know if any other original components will fit straight in too?

Other original parts are usable, in fact, you have to use A2 antirollbar and steering rack.
Polo / A1 ARB is narrower and does not clear the chassis legs.
Polo / A1 rack steering shaft angle is slightly different as A2 front end is shorter

Last edited:
Been reading through this thread, really interesting!! My only concern with using a PQ25 subframe in the future is that by creating a "hybrid" car it's going to create issues for any future owners of these cars, who possibly aren't very knowledgeable or mechanically minded (and any garages they take them to to be fixed). Wonder if theres a way to formerly record/catalogue the changes so its properly passed on to next owner. Has anybody done this and had any problems with insurance?

Back