Price check on fitting A/C Condensor

Pugliese

A2OC Donor
A/C Condensor needs replacing and have been quoted by an independent £190 for condensor +regas and £220 for labour all inc vat. I appreciate that it is a bumper off job and therefore 3/4 hours labour. Is this cost reasonable and whilst the bumper is off, are there any other parts that need checking/replacing?

Thanks

Having done the job myself, the costs don't seem to be excessive. You would need to change the dryer at the same time. You could save money doing the fitting yourself and then getting someone to do the re-gas.

RAB

I have just had a quote, on my ATL TDI, broken compressor as pulley spins and therefore internals siezed. £350 inc fitting, although if the oil comes out silvery and black I would need a flush and new dryer, possibly new condensor too, in which case £780!! Not sure it helps but there you go. MAybe change intercooler while youre at it?

I have just had a quote, on my ATL TDI, broken compressor as pulley spins and therefore internals siezed. £350 inc fitting, although if the oil comes out silvery and black I would need a flush and new dryer, possibly new condensor too, in which case £780!! Not sure it helps but there you go. MAybe change intercooler while youre at it?
I managed to get a compressor from eBay delivered for £20 and took me around 3 hours to change it.
Just drove it up on to some blocks to have a little more space under to work on it.

mmmm, you've made me think about doing it myself. I know it's a long job but how difficult is it?

I have limited skills with cars but am an AC engineer to trade (off the tools for 20 years) so wasn't afraid to have a go. From memory once you have the belt off it is maybe 3 bolts that hold it in place and 2 for the pipe connections. Mine had lost its gas so no need to remove it then put in new gas. It's more fiddly than hard if you have the correct spline sockets that VW love to use.

Wowzer, if you need a used compressor for a fraction of the cost then get in touch.
Thanks, good to know - I will message when I get through the lumpy idle issue first, I guess wuestion is why it siezed and how it broke but all will be revealed when it comes off and gets checked....

I have limited skills with cars but am an AC engineer to trade (off the tools for 20 years) so wasn't afraid to have a go. From memory once you have the belt off it is maybe 3 bolts that hold it in place and 2 for the pipe connections. Mine had lost its gas so no need to remove it then put in new gas. It's more fiddly than hard if you have the correct spline sockets that VW love to use.
I think your talking about the compressor lol I need to change the condensor, which is a bumper off job, so need a guide

No, I'm not sure I am, that's why I want to read up on it first, but can't seem to find a guide on the forum, which is a bit of a surprise
It really isn’t that bad. The biggest faf is getting it on the axel stands and taking the under try and arch liners out. Bumper itself didn’t fight much and I’ve done two now (with help) without drama.

I'm sure that in the past I have seen a step by step guide to taking the bumper off, but I'm struggling to find it. Am I going mad?

Have a read through this, all good information especially the AC part about the deforming clutch...

Back